Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't do ibby anymore, but this is still a beautiful guitar!

incubus wrote:I wonder if I should get this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... wAodRCYCGg

It's turning out to be a bigger project than if I'd simply have ordered a "pre-wired" config, but not sure if.

They are "noiseless" pups so don't know if it's necessary.
I think sometimes those grounding plates and stuff are a bit of snake oil like all the talk about bumblebee caps.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

we seem to be hung-up on solid-bodies around here lately. In the immortal words of Monty Python; now for something completely different :
anyone have one of these ?

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Love those gypsy jazz guitars. Is that one new?

expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

SJ_Digriz wrote:
incubus wrote:I wonder if I should get this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... wAodRCYCGg

It's turning out to be a bigger project than if I'd simply have ordered a "pre-wired" config, but not sure if.

They are "noiseless" pups so don't know if it's necessary.
I think sometimes those grounding plates and stuff are a bit of snake oil like all the talk about bumblebee caps.
Wait, I just bought that! :x

You're having me on! :hihi:

incubus wrote:You're having me on! :hihi:
:D Although I would be falsifying information if I claimed I didn't put some shine on a post here or there, but in this case I'm fairly serious.

I'm not an electronics expert, but I know enough to build synth modules, guitar pedals and such by schematic. I even have a general idea of what most of the circuits are doing.

In the case of caps ... if two caps of equal value behaved differently within their operating thresholds, then basically electronics wouldn't work. So a $100 bumblebee from 1957 better have the same "filtering" result as a .0001 cent peanut butter and foil cap that you make at home from a 6th grade science kit.

With grounding ... grounding is grounding. Where is important. But, once it's grounded it's grounded. If you are trying to use that big metal plate as a shield, then you are ignoring those big antenna things sticking up from your pickguard. Also, over shielding can cause HF roll-off and other unintended bleed issues.

I'm not going to say it wont help or that it will hurt. But, I've wondered about those grounding/shielding plates. Do they fall in the capacitor BS bucket, or in the YES that makes perfect electronic sense bucket.

yes, shielding/buzz defeat mechanisms can rob some tone. at least that's what i've heard... and it makes sense.

anyway, those pickguards look interesting though in that they can be pre-wired in any one of multiple configuration choices?

btw, that 'acoustic' is tight...

@incubus

Just to be sure ... I wasn't being negative. I'm truly curious how that plate works out for you. I've been tempted by them myself.

.. and yes the gypsy box is tits

Mister Natural wrote:we seem to be hung-up on solid-bodies around here lately. In the immortal words of Monty Python; now for something completely different :
anyone have one of these ?

peace
by the way, am I the only one bothered by the break angle of the outside strings?

TMI for my pea-brain :lol:

So @ shielding: Well, I dunno. The only thing I do know is that right now the rats nest is like this:

For whatever reason, even with that, it's pretty noise free, actually, better than anything else right now. As you can see there is a thin foil plate on the pickguard.

Now I had a "noiseless" jazz bass once that was noisier than my "murican standard" that had single coils. I had some guy put shielding in (20 years ago? ) and it was then truly noiseless.

So I don't know if I've screwed the pooch and I'm going to have the buzz from hell (since this plate isn't shielded) or if I will be cool as long as everything is grounded proper.

I didn't know Jackson Pollock wired strats? Damn, almost 3 entire posts without being sarcastic. Could have been a record or something.

Seriously, it's the rats nest of rats nests :lol: How about that humbucker? :nutter: (It doesn't sound bad at all, not really my taste, but the guitar is really a keeper)

Several problems, too much shit. Between the S1 garbage (I hate it) and the "blower" switch there's just too much. But this was a guitar that according to my receipt was about 1400 usd (including tax) and that had a "street" value of 1799.

I wonder what the "elite" looks like, hope it's better.

But back to my point, that has a thin foil of shielding. Just wish I knew if I've gotten myself into poop. Wiring is easy, been there, done that.

BTW, my "emerson" "bumblebee" (or is it oil-can) kit showed up :hyper: Aye, she's a fine beauty of worksmanship.....hope it works :scared:

Shielding on cables is just night and day.
My lounge room has rad EMI IMO coz of 2 computers and PA speakers.
I got some 7-pin MIDI cables yesterday, that did not have the shield to ground.
The shield was wired to pin 4.
So I bridged ground to pin 7, using the shield for a pickup connection.
It worked so bad for EMI, just terrible snr.
I desoldered pin 4, and put the mesh on the jack casing,
then wired 7 to 4.
making my cable noiseless on the soundcard meters(-60db).
To me this proves that shielding works like anything(on cables anyway).
Cheers 8D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”