DI Box for Recording Guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I am a hobbyist who records guitar in my home studio. I have a Steinberg UR-22 interface with a Hi-Z input. If I want to record my guitar signal through my pedals, I currently plug the output from the pedal into the Hi-Z input of the interface, and then apply a cab sim in my DAW. Is there any benefit or advantage to using a DI box instead, plugging the pedal output into the DI box, and then the DI box into a line input of the UR-22? Would the signal be stronger, or otherwise sound different, through the DI box?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help.

Probably won't make much difference.

If your guitar is plugged in directly without pedals, and has passive pickups and electronics, there might be a bigger difference. But you might be better off spending the money on pickups or pedals or something.

Thanks!

Yeah, it won't. Here are just some of the "experiments" I've done:

Radial. It's fine, and I think it does provide a better signal, but it's overkill.

That motu thing. Again, it was fine, but it went belly-up kinda quickly and it's more of a "feel" thing than anything else.

UAD solo 610. Nice tube saturation, but doesn't do anything dramatic. Though I wish I'd have kept it longer as they are worth double what I paid for mine :bang:

In the end, you'd be better off stashing cash for something like a babyface pro where it's a better interface latency wise (yes, it really is) and has as good a pre-amps as you can get.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”