Yamaha DM2000 Mixing Board

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've had the DM2000 since 2003 and am wondering how long it will last. I've had zero issues with mine in 14 years. Am thinking of donating it to the university where I got my music degree and either 1) buy another one, or 2) mix in software using the MOTU 16a and 1248, if I can get the studio ergonomics to work.

I'd love to hear from others who might know how long this board will be functional.

Thanks,
Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

There really is no way to give an estimate of how much more time you can enjoy this piece of equipment. But if you give it in the hands of a bunch of students, I estimate that halves it.

Bare electronics will last virtually forever when treated right. The only likely points of failure imho are all moving parts like motorised faders, buttons & pot meters. Cheap capacitors will dry out, but you would have noticed that already. So Yamaha probably did not use the really cheap ones.

If you buy another one, there's no way to tell which one fails first. But then you have enough spare parts to keep one running! Whether that's worth the investment (just saw one on Amazon for $6500) I don't know.

If you switch to mixing in software, that will take some time to get used to it. That's a new learning experience...

Good luck!!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:There really is no way to give an estimate of how much more time you can enjoy this piece of equipment. But if you give it in the hands of a bunch of students, I estimate that halves it.

Bare electronics will last virtually forever when treated right. The only likely points of failure imho are all moving parts like motorised faders, buttons & pot meters. Cheap capacitors will dry out, but you would have noticed that already. So Yamaha probably did not use the really cheap ones.

If you buy another one, there's no way to tell which one fails first. But then you have enough spare parts to keep one running! Whether that's worth the investment (just saw one on Amazon for $6500) I don't know.

If you switch to mixing in software, that will take some time to get used to it. That's a new learning experience...

Good luck!!
Thanks! By the way, if I get another DM2000 it will be a brand-new one, so it will in all likelihood last quite a bit longer than my current one which is 14 years old..

Jerry

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”