Zebra3 Info

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

EvilDragon wrote:Yep, pretty much!
I hope not... :?

Don't know what I expected (maybe something in the redux direction), but that skin does not look like a big deal to me...

Redux is great when you already know how Zebra operates, but it doesn't help new users really. A lot of things are implied in it. I think Urs mentioned somewhere that they are not considering all-in-one types of GUIs for Zebra, so the bottom tab line will remain.

I will say that the new Zebra 2.8 skin looks much much better than the old default one in practice, and there are some handy things added. Panels are a LOT more consistent across the board. It feels better.

Besides all obvious feature requests, I think a GUI overhaul was what Zebra needed most. So I'm glad it's on its way! I may actually finally consider buying it :)

The new GUI looks great! The reason I never switched to Redux is that each module looks very different. So when you have a bunch of modules up, it's hard to take a quick look at things and know what's going on. I still use the default.

But what I love about the new GUI from those screen shots is that while every module still has a similar structure of knobs straight across from left to right (which is necessary for such a complex synth), you have put most of the modulation knobs on the bottom row directly beneath what they are modulating. And not only that, you have made the regular knobs analog style, and the modulation knobs a digital style. This is great! It makes it so easy to see what is producing sound and what the modulations are.

I also notice that there is no Diva or VCA Comp tabs at the bottom, which makes me think you've incorporated those modules into the regular workflow. Looking very nice guys.

Can't wait for this to come out.

rosschehayeb wrote:I also notice that there is no Diva or VCA Comp tabs at the bottom, which makes me think you've incorporated those modules into the regular workflow. Looking very nice guys.
The skin is currently only for regular Zebra, not ZHZ. I assume ZHZ variant will come later (perhaps when Urs&co. finally allow more than 32 modules in a grid, so that we can have individual panels for each Diva filter? :))

Now as the cat is out of the bag... are there any Screenshots you can share with us Urs? :ud:
Everyone knows more than I do...

The question specifically to developers - Why Zebras in oscillators it is not possible to draw even(2,4,6,8...), not even (1,3,5,7...) harmonics, as in the example MMap? Will it be implemented in Zebra3?
Live and learn forever!

atmelcool wrote:The question specifically to developers - Why Zebras in oscillators it is not possible to draw even(2,4,6,8...), not even (1,3,5,7...) harmonics, as in the example MMap? Will it be implemented in Zebra3?
The main reason for developing Zebra3 is to harmonize waveform, MSEG and Map editing into one consistent and comfortable editor.

New gui is awesome!
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

EvilDragon wrote:Redux is great when you already know how Zebra operates, but it doesn't help new users really. A lot of things are implied in it. I think Urs mentioned somewhere that they are not considering all-in-one types of GUIs for Zebra, so the bottom tab line will remain.

I will say that the new Zebra 2.8 skin looks much much better than the old default one in practice, and there are some handy things added. Panels are a LOT more consistent across the board. It feels better.
Well Redux may be a bit extreme, but the screenshot to me 'only' shows some optical improvement. At least I would have expected a bit of color coding, e.g. the OSC2 looks almost exactly as the FM module in terms of color.

Good thing about the Redux is that you see at a glance what you are working with. Of course it's not necessary, but a big help for me anyway.

And I don't even start to compare it to the Massive Modular and the pockemod skin.. :wink:

Urs wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:so this is the new Zebra 2 GUI ? :D
(it' such a huge project, we're actually developing new UI elements for it)

Considering that it was announced to be released in late January, I was wondering: Have you rethought aspects of the new GUI since this initial release date estimate or has it just taken longer than expected?

Will Zebra HZ also get the new skin ? :love:

Eventually, I suppose.

Urs wrote:
atmelcool wrote:The question specifically to developers - Why Zebras in oscillators it is not possible to draw even(2,4,6,8...), not even (1,3,5,7...) harmonics, as in the example MMap? Will it be implemented in Zebra3?
The main reason for developing Zebra3 is to harmonize waveform, MSEG and Map editing into one consistent and comfortable editor.
this sounds like a great great thing.

Return to “u-he”