Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

License model no way !!!

Clearscreen
KVRist

157 posts since 10 Jul, 2004, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Clearscreen; Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:03 pm Re: License model no way !!!

Not sure how I feel about this licensing yet.

I've just realised that bitwig 2 has the same v1 behaviour with regard to midi channels - all midi in a track is channel 1, no matter what the input is.

I just got a beatstep and would like to change channels on the fly.

So, if I pay the 12 month license fee and request proper internal midi channel handling in a support ticket, what are the odds of it getting changed (or to my mind, fixed...) within that 12 months? Is it unreasonable to expect to receive that change given you only have 12 months of available updating?

Not sure how to feel about it...
lunardigs
KVRist

74 posts since 6 Jun, 2016, from Austin, Texas

Postby lunardigs; Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:42 pm Re: License model no way !!!

I upgraded and I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. I'll be very interested to see the next changelog.

Right now I'm cleaning up some of my controller scripts from 1.0. It's a rewarding exercise--in madness :wink:. For real though, the API aspect is incredible. I almost can't believe it's there. Pro-audio companies are scarcely "open" in my experience. I think Bitwig represents something much more than a new DAW.

Btw, I'd really like to switch over to API 2, but it's definitely more advanced and I have to learn it. If I have any complaints right now, it's that resources on API 2 are somewhat hard to find. Also, nearly all of the included scripts with BWS2 are API 1.
TeotiGraphix
KVRian

1334 posts since 28 Dec, 2012, from Meredith NH

Postby TeotiGraphix; Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 am Re: License model no way !!!

lunardigs wrote:Btw, I'd really like to switch over to API 2, but it's definitely more advanced and I have to learn it. If I have any complaints right now, it's that resources on API 2 are somewhat hard to find. Also, nearly all of the included scripts with BWS2 are API 1.

See this, it's API 2.

BTW, Framework4Bitwig is being deprecated as Moss is writing a new framework, he mentioned this in the Push4Bitwig thread.

The framework as it exists in that repo works with Push and V2, so you should be able to understand all the API by studying it.

https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framework4Bitwig
Michael Schmalle
http://www.teotigraphix.com
Surfing on sine waves

Maschine4Bitwig - Studio, MK2, MikroMK2, MK1
http://www.teotigraphix.com/bitwig/maschine
.maki
KVRAF

4279 posts since 21 Jan, 2008, from oO

Postby .maki; Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 am Re: License model no way !!!

Clearscreen wrote:Not sure how I feel about this licensing yet.

I've just realised that bitwig 2 has the same v1 behaviour with regard to midi channels - all midi in a track is channel 1, no matter what the input is.

there is a new device wich let you choose the midi channel now. Also this looks like an issue with script i guess. At least here it works fine to receive other midi channels.
lunardigs
KVRist

74 posts since 6 Jun, 2016, from Austin, Texas

Postby lunardigs; Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:33 pm Re: License model no way !!!

TeotiGraphix wrote:
lunardigs wrote:Btw, I'd really like to switch over to API 2, but it's definitely more advanced and I have to learn it. If I have any complaints right now, it's that resources on API 2 are somewhat hard to find. Also, nearly all of the included scripts with BWS2 are API 1.

See this, it's API 2.

BTW, Framework4Bitwig is being deprecated as Moss is writing a new framework, he mentioned this in the Push4Bitwig thread.

The framework as it exists in that repo works with Push and V2, so you should be able to understand all the API by studying it.

https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framework4Bitwig

Thank you for the link, TeotiGraphix. You know, I've looked at the Push4Bitwig script quite a bit--I have Push 1 in fact and use it everyday--although, his stuff is above my head for the most part. Moss is a badass, no doubt ... Really, I'm looking for a primer on the API 2; yet something that goes into TrackBank and RemoteControl, etc.
Clearscreen
KVRist

Postby Clearscreen; Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:07 pm Re: License model no way !!!

.maki wrote:
there is a new device wich let you choose the midi channel now. Also this looks like an issue with script i guess. At least here it works fine to receive other midi channels.

Thanks for the reply .maki - which new device is that? I haven't subscribed yet so I'm still using Beta6 until I get paid. In b6 the midi CC and program change devices can select a channel to receive from.

The scripts I'm using are the generic ones Thomas Helzle has shared and all midi within a track is getting assigned to channel 1 by Bitwig. I've found a script that breaks each channel from an external device out to a track, but I'd like to send multi channel control to one plugin and re-routing via extra tracks each time is pretty tedious...
.maki
KVRAF

Postby .maki; Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 pm Re: License model no way !!!

there might come a solution to this.

So long did you try this script?

https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/con ... _bi_1.html

Also especially for the Beatstep you might want to test this one: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&t=427919
Last edited by .maki on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clearscreen
KVRist

Postby Clearscreen; Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:14 pm Re: License model no way !!!

Thanks .maki, I haven't seen that midi channel device in the beta! I'll subscribe at the end of this month and see I guess...

I haven't tried that T. Helzle script either, but I've used a similar one I think, that breaks each channel out to a separate midi input. which leads back to the tedious track/channel routing - I'll try this one out though when I have my beatstep at hand later today.

Moss' beatstep script is interesting and I haven't fully got my head around it yet - it seemed like overkill for me, but I'll dig into it deeper yet and see if I can do what I want.

Ideally I want to change the midi channel on the hardware and not have bitwig re-map all incoming channels to channel 1 internally... if that makes sense...

Appreciate the replies .maki, cheers!!
ere2learn
KVRian

1343 posts since 3 May, 2014

Postby ere2learn; Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:27 pm Re: License model no way !!!

.maki wrote:there is this device wich should help imo

I cant see this in 2.0 either,I only see MIDI CC,Program Change & Song Select
.maki
KVRAF

Postby .maki; Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:58 pm Re: License model no way !!!

i didn't see it as well, who knows might be an illusion. :D
Clearscreen
KVRist

Postby Clearscreen; Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:36 pm Re: License model no way !!!

.maki wrote:edited because of a leak blead, sry.

Was that a leak of a new feature?!? :hyper: :hyper:
Fleer
KVRAF

3111 posts since 22 Aug, 2014, from Boston/Cambridge

Postby Fleer; Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:04 pm Re: License model no way !!!

Apparently, there are people trying to sell their copy of Bitwig 2.0 for as low as €200 already. Goes to show that the license model is scaring people off instead of luring them in.
Vortifex
KVRist

470 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Postby Vortifex; Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 am Re: License model no way !!!

I will never buy any music software that requires a subscription. I was interested in Bitwig but when I heard about this they lost me as a potential customer.
pdxindy
KVRAF

12326 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 am Re: License model no way !!!

Vortifex wrote:I will never buy any music software that requires a subscription. I was interested in Bitwig but when I heard about this they lost me as a potential customer.

I would not describe Bitwig as a subscription.

I define subscription such that as soon as you stop paying the software stops working.

When you buy Bitwig, it has an annual cost to keep getting updates, but if you stop paying it, you can keep using the software without time restriction... for years if you want to.
tor.helge.skei
KVRist

367 posts since 30 May, 2007

Postby tor.helge.skei; Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:41 am Re: License model no way !!!

if you subscribe to a magazine or newspaper, but then end the subscription, the old issues you have already received doesn't stop "working" either..
PreviousNext

Moderator: Bitwig Mods

Return to Bitwig