Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

What has made you laugh today

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

9796 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:32 pm Re: What has made you laugh today

They just showed a little documentary on borrowing school books 8) On the Azores students get their books for free from the school (parents have to make a security deposit of 20%), but they have a rigorous book evaluation system in place, with forms, stamps and everything. When students give the books back at the end of the year teachers check all the pages and rate the books by their status, and dare someone have written something in them or torn out pages :smack:

The Portuguese really are the Prussians of the south :hihi:
harryupbabble
KVRian

1033 posts since 19 Mar, 2012, from Babbleon

Postby harryupbabble; Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 am Re: What has made you laugh today

Oh wait, just one more, before I really go. For a certain someone. Hahaha.
Yeah, but can I be necked, can I be totally newed?
Hooj
KVRist

357 posts since 23 Aug, 2012, from Way Out West

Postby Hooj; Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:01 pm Re: What has made you laugh today

Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

3795 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:06 pm Re: What has made you laugh today

fluffy_little_something wrote:They just showed a little documentary on borrowing school books 8) On the Azores students get their books for free from the school (parents have to make a security deposit of 20%), but they have a rigorous book evaluation system in place, with forms, stamps and everything. When students give the books back at the end of the year teachers check all the pages and rate the books by their status, and dare someone have written something in them or torn out pages :smack:

The Portuguese really are the Prussians of the south :hihi:

This is how it was done when I was in public school in the USA. Though parents didn't have to pay a deposit. School taxes covered it. If the book was damaged by the student, THEN the parents had to buy a replacement (actually they never did; they'd get fined and the school would keep the money and keep using the wrecked book unless that was impossible).

Why the mention of the Prussians? The USA modeled its public education system off of the Prussian's (called the Prussian-industrial model by those of us in the USA who are familiar with the history of public school). It was never about education; it was about producing obedient and nationalist factory workers. Today it's even less helpful since the USA has almost zero industry.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
harryupbabble
KVRian

Postby harryupbabble; Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:52 am Re: What has made you laugh today

Not today but maybe a couple of days or so ago. I saw this clip at another thread. While I was watching it, all I could think of was my feet. Double my foot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRxLfFa5aFc
incubus
KVRAF

5796 posts since 6 May, 2015

Postby incubus; Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 pm Re: What has made you laugh today

People that live elsewhere than the US that seem to think they know what is going on/or how to scold us :lol:
GaryG
KVRAF

5498 posts since 13 Jan, 2003, from Kent, UK

Postby GaryG; Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:41 am Re: What has made you laugh today

incubus wrote:People that live elsewhere than the US that seem to think they know what is going on/or how to scold us :lol:

Come now, you moan about HPC then go and stir the shit in unrelated threads like this. Stop it.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

11050 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:51 am Re: What has made you laugh today

^Sound advice.
incubus
KVRAF

Postby incubus; Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:19 pm Re: What has made you laugh today

Wow, that's brutal and untrue. No laughing about that.
harryupbabble
KVRian

Postby harryupbabble; Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 am Re: What has made you laugh today

Dancing. Not just today but every time. Today, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
SODDI
KVRAF

3343 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Postby SODDI; Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:50 pm Re: What has made you laugh today

The dog begging for a piece of banana. It's one of the first none-meat gives we ever gave her and 4 years later, she comes running whenever we peel one. (It's vet-approved. Just not too much.)
incubus
KVRAF

Postby incubus; Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:24 pm Re: What has made you laugh today

harryupbabble wrote:Dancing. Not just today but every time. Today, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

I miss the "old" rickrolls.........
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:40 am Re: What has made you laugh today

Jace-BeOS wrote:This is how it was done when I was in public school in the USA. Though parents didn't have to pay a deposit. School taxes covered it. If the book was damaged by the student, THEN the parents had to buy a replacement (actually they never did; they'd get fined and the school would keep the money and keep using the wrecked book unless that was impossible).

Why the mention of the Prussians? The USA modeled its public education system off of the Prussian's (called the Prussian-industrial model by those of us in the USA who are familiar with the history of public school). It was never about education; it was about producing obedient and nationalist factory workers. Today it's even less helpful since the USA has almost zero industry.

Yes, I also got my books free from my schools (all public, no taxes or deposits), but they did not have such a thorough, formal book evaluation system with forms and stamps and everything. They just looked at the book, only occasionally glimpsed at some random pages and that was it. I don't remember any book being rejected. I think the inspection was just for intimidating pupils.
Well, here in Europe it is common to make the Prussian reference when something seems exaggeratedly thorough, formal or bureaucratic :roll:
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:44 am Re: What has made you laugh today

SODDI wrote:The dog begging for a piece of banana. It's one of the first none-meat gives we ever gave her and 4 years later, she comes running whenever we peel one. (It's vet-approved. Just not too much.)

A friend of mine had a retriever, which lived to be 11 years, on a vegetarian diet. Then it died of cancer. But I don't think it had to do with the diet. My former landlord's cat also died of cancer, despite all the meat stuff it ate.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:14 am Re: What has made you laugh today

incubus wrote:People that live elsewhere than the US that seem to think they know what is going on/or how to scold us :lol:

Don't worry, the whiners will report it and the forum thought gestapo will delete it :hihi:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic