Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

and that he doesn't answer anymore :D

:phones:

Very nice 1:1 comparison with real hardware

https://youtu.be/_0m4_5P4xFM

Based on the video poster by @lentferj, the square wave in repro-1 lacks the depth of the original. Is u-he aware of this and planing to improve this part? There a few areas where the repro-1 sounds brighter too.
Last edited by oli67 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Certainly doesn't lack depth as every Pro-One is a bit different from each other.

EvilDragon wrote:Certainly doesn't lack depth as every Pro-One is a bit different from each other.
well, in the case of the square wave the difference is very noticeable and not to the advantage of the repro-1, I doubt this is a difference that can be attributed to a variation between models.

oli67 wrote:Based on the video poster by @lentferj, the square wave in repro-1 lacks the depth of the original. Is u-he aware of this and planing to improve this part? There a few areas where the repro-1 sounds brighter too.
Actually this comment lacks depth
Murderous duck!

oli67 wrote:Based on the video poster by @lentferj, the square wave in repro-1 lacks the depth of the original. Is u-he aware of this and planing to improve this part? There a few areas where the repro-1 sounds brighter too.

This is the era we live in, conclusions asserted re: vintage hardware and modern synths based on effin' Youtube Videos.

He was probably listening on laptop speakers, too :hyper:

Anyway, moving along.

If you're talking about the direct comparison around 3:50, I believe what you're hearing is attributable to a difference in duty cycle. Repro-1, being a digital synth, is able to hit that 50% duty cycle precisely, whereas the analog original sounds to be slightly off from a 50% pulse until the guy tweaks it around 4:30, at which point the timbre sounds extremely similar to my ear. Repro-1 is lacking nothing in depth; the raw square is certainly a tad brighter than his Pro-1. Good thing the filter is nice...

Go to tweaks tab, switch Oscillator modules from "ideal" to "P1", set PW to, say, 52% (as it's practically impossible to set a perfect square on a hardware with cheap pots), there you go.

In any case though, we are aware that every Pro-One sounds slightly differently. There is however no way we're going to chase up after every demo on the internet and tweak our algorithms.

btw wrote: If you're talking about the direct comparison around 3:50, I believe what you're hearing is attributable to a difference in duty cycle. Repro-1, being a digital synth, is able to hit that 50% duty cycle precisely, whereas the analog original sounds to be slightly off from a 50% pulse until the guy tweaks it around 4:30, at which point the timbre sounds extremely similar to my ear. Repro-1 is lacking nothing in depth; the raw square is certainly a tad brighter than his Pro-1. Good thing the filter is nice...
Yep, I think you're right. Indeed at 4:30 things get much closer. Thanks for posting a constructive comment.
Urs wrote:In any case though, we are aware that every Pro-One sounds slightly differently. There is however no way we're going to chase up after every demo on the internet and tweak our algorithms.
Yes sure, and we perfectly understand that. I was struck by the difference at 3:50 but that is explained by the difference in calibration so it's all fine, thanks!

oli67 wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Certainly doesn't lack depth as every Pro-One is a bit different from each other.
well, in the case of the square wave the difference is very noticeable and not to the advantage of the repro-1, I doubt this is a difference that can be attributed to a variation between models.

Okay, I watched the video. Great job on repro-1 by the way.

Square waves don't have even harmonics, yet the "square" wave from the hardware pro-1 had a bunch of them.

The reason(s) for this should be pretty obvious - either the individual driving the pro-1 in the video had the pulse width slightly off center, or after 40-something years the pro-1 has drifted out of calibration, and that "square" wave isn't perfectly square anymore. Or both.

It's not a bug or shortcoming in repro-1. Just turn the pulse width on repro-1 to somewhere between 48 and 49 (or 51 to 52 if you prefer) and you'll get some even harmonics and the deeper tone that goes with them.

Edit - Lots of people beat me to it :)

On both our Pro-Ones it's actually impossible to get a true square wave. The falling edge has a slight slope. This can also be observed with other synths using the same VCO chip. IIRC the ideal preset in Repro doesn't have it but the P1 one does.

I am enjoying the squelchyness of repro-1! :)

Any chance of seeing a few more 'perform' modulators in the future? The current ones are certainly functional but I always fill them up and find I want a few more to achieve the sounds in my head.

I remember how all resistors could be bought in 10%, 5% and 2% versions. So a, say, 100kOhm could be 90 or 110 for the 10% version. Not even talking about capacitors and transistors.
Those were the analog days, not the zero and one days....

I had a Roland System 100, basic module and expander. Whatever you criticise about Repro-1, know that in 'those' days, this synth would have been a real shock. Build on the past, but don't idealise it.

I was not going to buy any more synths as I found I had enough ( Zebra, Bazille and some others). But, well,... I am very impressed, really. Congrats!
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Return to “u-he”