DAW for Electronic music

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pacific Echo wrote:I appreciate the opinions. Looks like logic would be best suited for me. Thanks for the help everyone :)
Good call. I still can't move on from Logic, such an amazing DAW. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

i can't talk about logic. i last used it when it was available for windows but if i am honest i never liked dealing with the midi aspect. and cubase was something i already knew fairly well and i was quite productive with it in comparison. I also taught cubase and logic and people always seemed to gravitate towards Cubase.
Reason was a great thing when it appeared but their obstinance regarding the horrible interface and the lack of support for 3rd party plugins ultimately made it lose it's appeal. I still use version 5 and i have no intention to really go back to it now. it's a fabulous thing as rewire but i would not use it as one and only app. Bitwig i have played with and i can see it has much to offer the electronic musician. My only complaint about it is that their bespoke instruments don't sound great but for modulation and editing of midi and audio it's pretty good, considering it's only version 1. I have not looked at version 2 yet but it seems promising.
Protools is a program i just don't get on with. I can see it's appeal ( thomas dolby uses it and that's a massive big up as far as i am concerned). most of my problems with it related to the midi implementation is pretty poor ( or was) and i could not use most of my plugins at the time.
there are other issues to look at i guess, for instance i have NEVER had a crash in Reason. it really is solid and it has always been light on resources.
Logic was not so reliable. .. bitwig, not so bad. Pro tools... again not so bad, but would crash periodically, but i never had a fast computer then either.
if you are only picking one, then it has to be Logic, only because you can do score editing, and produce sheet music etc. (A friend of mine uses vegas and he makes his living from scoring stuff. vegas is a bit of an unknown to a lot of peeps but it is really good.
if only making electronic music, then they all have good aspects. personally, apart from using reason with rewire, i wouldn't stump for any of these.
Ableton Live is the app that can do most of what i want. I also love FL, so there, the two progs. you don't like : )
ultimately these decisions only be made through experience of using them. i could not pick out of a list in a catalogue. and if you own them already you should pick the one that has the most to offer your music-making and stick with it. : )
i had a terrible tendency to flit from one app to another, but since i got a little discipline and only focused on a small amount of software i have definitely been more productive. i could not tell you though if it's any good. tee-hee.
but that's another subject entirely.
good luck choosing.

Hi,

I would recommend this combo : Cubase Pro 9 & Bitwig Studio 2

They should cover all angles, and tasks you might need to produce Electronic Music.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I'm not an EDM producer and I've never played one on TV, but if I were looking I'd give FLStudio a really hard look or try first for two main reasons...

1. It appears to be setup for that in just about every way.
2. It's price is arguably unbeatable.

Honestly, as much as I liked Cubase when I used it (a lot), poppping FLStudio on as a VI, or starting "hip-hop beat" projects in it standalone was way more productive. I never personally liked mixing in it but it seemed to do that kinda thing better than most and the free lifetime license is a pretty big win if you can get "on" with it's workflow and approach.

Did you even bothered to read the OP, he doesn't like FL and he needs a DAW for something more than EDM...
Pacific Echo wrote:Hey guys. I'm having a problem choosing a daw. I have Bitwig, reason 9, logic pro x and pro tools 12. I'm looking to produce electronic dance music, hip hop, etc. I'm also looking to possibly do some film scoring and music for tv and film. I've tried ableton and FL and i don't like either. Any suggestions guys? :)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

rod_zero wrote:Cubase or logic from those, stick with it and be done.
+1
you need a considerable time to master either one. But IMO, the time invested learning one of them is totally worth it.

Yes, I read the OP. :)

I was suggesting that first impressions are not always best impressions and some things we "don't like" initially we dig in again later and end up liking. Reaper is a good example of that where a certain number of it's users didn't like it at first, so I was suggesting that if the relative ... subjective kinda oddness of it in some ways... compared to some other products made him feel that way, to make sure to give it a really hard or closer look if he didn't.

No agenda, I rarely personally use it these days.

LawrenceF wrote:No agenda, I rarely personally use it these days.
I know, but either way, it's DAW for more than EDM, that's what makes this all little trickier, some DAW's just excel for scoring and other stuff and that's what makes them actually stand out from the bunch.

If the OP is on Mac (which seems to be the case) then FL Studio is probably a deal breaker anyway since it's still in Alpha.

@Zex: ^^^ Makes perfect sense to me, your perspective there. ^^^

I'm always happy when minor temporary misunderstandings don't always result in one of those world famous KVR catfights that go on for 20 pages. :)

Thanks man.

LawrenceF wrote:I'm always happy when minor temporary misunderstandings don't always result in one of those world famous KVR catfights that go on for 20 pages. :)

Thanks man.
You are quite an reasonable guy, it's really hard to get in such a thing with you, all the best. :hug:

You already own all these DAWs or just use a torrent copy? If you already bought these, just use it. No more needed. Better buy hardware, a good orch. library or a analog instrument.

I can recommend Reaper. It offers notation and a lot of possibilitys for adding/config features you want for a unbeatable price. I own Live, Renoise and Reaper. Live is much more cost intensive and lacks of a lot of workflow features, same with other high priced DAWs which always sucks, damn it! Thats my experience. Since Steinberg released VST for Linux, i think there will be a big change in the software business soon. Thinking about switching to Linux for a long time.

In the end all available DAWs will provide general features to record/edit/compose blabla. Do you have a Soundcloud or so?

Reaper costs $225 for most people doing "film scoring and music for tv", the $60 license requirements are VERY restrictive.

20k of GROSS revenue is below the poverty line in the US (*), and pretty much anyone that regularly scores a TV gig will probably make more than that per year.

(*) IMO it is NOT a coincidence Cockos set an amount near-identical to the US poverty line for their discounted license.

Logic because it fits all the things, comes with great synths and FX, midi FX, i think it still get free updates and you can't sell it.
Sell the others and buy some new stuff (like Omnisphere, a great reverb etc.).

pottering wrote:Reaper costs $225 for most people doing "film scoring and music for tv", the $60 license requirements are VERY restrictive.

20k of GROSS revenue is below the poverty line in the US (*), and pretty much anyone that regularly scores a TV gig will probably make more than that per year.

(*) IMO it is NOT a coincidence Cockos set an amount near-identical to the US poverty line for their discounted license.

There is a HUGE difference between "possibly doing some film scoring" and "regularly scores a TV gig." My guess is tha those in the former category will see at least one Reaper upgrade before moving into the latter.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”