SONAR issues...deal breaker?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR SONAR Platinum SONAR X3 Producer

You've got to admire the tenacity of the same 2 or 3 posters who feel the need to jump onto every Cakewalk/Sonar thread and post the same tired old rubbish time after time, even if one is left wondering as to their motivation. Do they really think they are helping anybody? Is it for the rush of endorphins when they hit the submit button? Whatever the reason, it's tedious.

you are not the first to take notice or complain tbh ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I already said I shouldn't have made that first post. But most of the rest is defending myself against the same 5-10 (I guess 5-10 is greater that 2-3)

But the mod is on your side, so.

the only side I am on is KvR and I can think of at least one probably two Sonar threads I have locked because of you and other posters complaining about you trolling Sonar threads. Maybe it's time to stop blaming everyone else, stop playing the victim and stop the said trolling. In other words in this case maybe it is you.

Now I hate to lock this thread as well, but it's quickly becoming about you again. I'm respectfully requesting that if this is to be your only contribution to Sonar threads than you please stay out of them (one mirrored by many members). That is not a warning nor a threat, just a simple request as I personally have received enough complaints about it from others and have indeed given you plenty of latitude and really would rather not have to keep dealing with it. I stopped one member from carrying on the attacks on you in this thread and instead of being grateful in any way shape or form you found a way to make it look like I had done something negative to you.

Enough already :?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

fair enough

And the hits just keep coming

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3576531
We too are having similar issues with support... I have submitted two tickets this calendar year... one was greeted with "remove and reinstall Sonar Platinum.. we have done this, responded it did not work, and have not heard back in 2 months. The second ticket is sitting on 10 days and counting. We would have never paid for Platinum and would have kept using 8.5 had we known this. The upgrade has become a waste of money due to features not working. With no phone support and lack of responsive email support, we will be looking for another software vendor for our school if nothing changes quickly. I see this forum has new support staff being hired... in September... its March... 6 months later...and support is at the best, the same, if not worse. What is going on?

Cakewalks/SONAR's top quality support (and you thought I was just joshin')

This type of stuff is common, it's all over the place, there is for all intents and purposes STILL no support, of course a lot of the fanbois make excuses for Cakewalk and tell people you don't need support anyway, just come to the forums. It's a bit like buying a new Ford and going to the dealership only to be told there are no mechanics, but if you look up the online Ford User club you will find a lot of people to help . . . lol . . . it's a joke.

The amount of bugs and things that don't work as expected or simply don't work in SONAR, it needs all the support it can get. Cakewalks support has been down the shitter now for over a year, something is not right in Boston
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote:And the hits just keep coming

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3576531

And here's another perspective....

- I am one of the disappointed users who vented in that thread. (Thought I'd throw that out there before I got labelled as another CW fanboi who'd follow them off a cliff).

- That thread is really damning for CW, yet it has not been deleted. So it seems to me they feel they have nothing to hide. IOW, they really are working on their support issues.

- No new complaints there for months, then the last two. A forum moderator posts, offering to follow up on their tickets. The first user seems to be asking for help on a product no longer supported. The second posted less than 24 hours ago. The only people fast enough to respond were the forum moderator -- and KVR member jinotsuh (to bring it to our attention).

Carry on. :P

After a hiatus with Sonar, (and an unresolved support issue with Steinberg), I DEMO'd X2 (yes, it had a demo). Then after they sent me a $100 coupon and some online price-war/price-matching, picked it up. Read about some having issues with it that I never encountered on their forum, but the majority of support I requested had to do with their synths, not the DAW itself. Upgraded to X3, no problems here, and I started using more of it. With each inception, the upgrade price was completely justified with free plugins being included (e.g. XLN-A Addictive Drums 1/2). In SPlat, the only crashing I've encountered so far turned out to be a NI issue with the third update to Replika (which took NI along time to respond to and eventually update to resolve it). But rolling it back to the previous version fixed it until NI finally did...

CW support started as slow, but consistent in X2/X3 and has improved almost exponentially in Platinum. In fact, it seems NI is now much worse than CW ever was for me and CW is in my top 5 for dealing effectively with (albeit, not so much with DimP; RaptP; Z3ta+2 - which still needs improvement).

Now I rarely use piano roll and never used a loop I didn't end up replacing by actually playing, the scoring is not entailed enough for me so I 'rewire' Finale to do that, but quite usable and for how I use it, rock solid.

The one 'issue' I have that they don't seem to want to address any longer is their handling of multiple class compliant controllers of the same make & model. X2/X3 would simply adjust and add a "(2)" to the second one. Support did try to work this out with me, but it seems they only had Roland controllers with specific drivers and therefore couldn't replicate the problem in their office. Because of that, they decided it was a Windows issue (although running Cubase 8.5 at the time on the same system worked as expected). But support was very timely in their communication. (Which is more than I can say for slow Steinberg and the almost non-existent NI.)
Now I continually look for a back-up DAW other than Sonar, not because of its 'issues', but because I've learned that software is only as good as what is happening currently. And with ITB licenses, things can change in a NY minute. Regardless of 'past history'.

So to the OP, the latest version is the way to go. I've yet to understand anyone trying to buy a NFR product secondhand with its chance of being caught during 'transfer' would take that risk. (Because then the cheap comes out more expensive.) And all the naysayers here seem to be holding on to a past that appears irrelevant now. Especially since, according to them, they no longer use it since "____" and have no experience with the current version.

^^ thanks for the perspective. Much appreciated :tu:

As I said...since X3 Sonar has been rock solid.

been with Sonar (Platinum) for many years now. I've have crashes, odd occurrences... the usual stuff when you work with high fx loaded music projects. I've extensively used Reason, Cubase, Acid, Reaper and Sonar. I bought the Sonar for life and now get updates monthly. If there's issues, I roll back and wait for a month until the next update, but I've only had to do it once. I see the posts from complainers and you know, you really don't know what is going on with their hardware, software, if they have unknown virus issues, or have torrent stuff installed... NOT accusing anyone of anything, just saying there's a lot that goes on in computers. Sonar has great features and is solid for me, pretty straightforward, and fits my workflow and style. The forums have answered all of my issues so I have never needed to use their tech support, and they watch the forum and get involved in addressing and fixing issues.
Maarkr
HW: Casio PX-5S, Roland FA-06 , Epi Les Paul, Ovation, Yamaha e-drums, Ibanez bass
SW: Intel i7-8700, Win 11-64 Pro, Studio One Pro, Waves, IK Multi, Izotope, NI

Ad hominem arguments, strawman attacks, cherry picking of negative comments from the Cakewalk forums...the hits just keep coming. :dog:

xalama qo wrote:I'm gonna go one better and start at Home Studio! :D :tu:
This might be your best bet. Sonar forum regular Johnny V. (Cactus Music) said Home Studio has been rock solid for him, and he also uses Sonar Platinum. The documentation for Home Studio can be confusing, though.
flugel45 wrote: - That thread is really damning for CW, yet it has not been deleted. So it seems to me they feel they have nothing to hide. IOW, they really are working on their support issues.
Except they moved the thread to the Cakewalk Store forum which is where threads go to die. There's a total of 4 threads there right now.

Cakewalk's support issues are well documented. It isn't even debatable. Here's another example:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Two-support-t ... 49458.aspx

Even though we are clearly in the minority here on KVR, I agree with much of what jinotsuh has stated. I have used Sonar quite a bit, and I've worked in it for hours this weekend. For me, it is buggy, occasionally crashes, and sometimes audio drop outs occur often. But I can totally believe it is mostly problem free for others. Variables like plug-ins, drivers, frequency of updates, etc. make a difference.

That said, I still like Sonar. Cakewalk the company? Not so much.

Why do I continue to use it? I guess I'm just used to it, and I've already invested a lot of time and money into it. I save my projects often enough that's it's very rare that a crash costs me more than a few minutes to recover from it.

clintmartin wrote:As I said...since X3 Sonar has been rock solid.
Same experience here :)
The new Sonar is even better here where all my plugins now have multicore load like the multicore function found in uhe works so even the new roland plugouts barely move the cpu meter in sonar now at 128.Smpl latency :tu:

xalama qo: I'd like to extend an invitation to come on over to the SONAR forum and make some new friends. While there may be one or two shady characters lurking about - as there are in any neighborhood - I think you'll generally find it a much more genteel environment than this place.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”