Alesis Midiverb 2 problem

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently got a used Alesis Midiverb 2 and when I plug in the adapter all the lights flash on and off and it only produces slow, beeping feedback. Is this normal, and if so what do I need to do to set it up right? The user manuel hasn't provided much help and I'm not too familiar with rack mount effects.

As long as the mix knob is to the center or the right, and the input and output knobs are appropriately set, it should show a number and be processing the signal. If not, take it back to the seller, telling them that it was dead on arrival; leave negative eBay feedback if they refuse to let you return it.
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

jfauser wrote:I recently got a used Alesis Midiverb 2 and when I plug in the adapter all the lights flash on and off and it only produces slow, beeping feedback. Is this normal, and if so what do I need to do to set it up right? The user manuel hasn't provided much help and I'm not too familiar with rack mount effects.
Make sure the power supply matches what the MIDIVerb II needs. The unit draws quite a bit from that power supply, and they tend to burn up. You may have a replacement power supply that isn't made to provide enough power to the MIDIVerb.

To make sure the power supply matches what the MIDIVerb II needs, check the back of the MIDIVerb II, where you plug in the power supply. It will tell you how many volts and amps (amperes) it needs. Then check the power supply to make sure 1) it says it's an ALESIS power supply, and 2) it is supplying the same amount of volts and at least the same amount of amps. If the power supply is under-powered, you could get weird behavior like you're seeing here.

The power supply does not necessarily have to be from Alesis to work properly, as long as it's providing the correct amount of voltage and amps.

If the power supply you have doesn't provide the correct amount of power, do what @caulixtla suggests and try to return the unit. If you can't, a replacement power supply is roughly $20, and if that doesn't help, you can probably return it.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

What's very important with the Alesis Midiverb II is that you use an AC to AC supply, not the more common AC to DC supply.

Is the supply you're using the original, because some of those symptoms suggest an incorrect AC/DC supply?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”