Komplete update. Will I get a virus through Native Acess without antivirus software?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just want to update Form but my Norton antivirus has expired so my PC isn't protected.
If I connect it and dont launch web browsers or anything, just update using NI software do you think I'll get a virus? Just dont wanna spend $40 for AV just to download a few minutes of an update.

Kinh wrote:I just want to update Form but my Norton antivirus has expired so my PC isn't protected.
If I connect it and dont launch web browsers or anything, just update using NI software do you think I'll get a virus? Just dont wanna spend $40 for AV just to download a few minutes of an update.
Assuming you're on the latest Windows update of a supported Windows OS, then I wouldn't worry at all. I was on Windows for years without any dedicated AV and never had one problem. Most such viruses come from dodgy websites and pirated software anyway, so steer clear of those and you should be good.

On the other hand, there are many free AV solutions (Avast, AVG .etc) which might be worth considering.

Good luck
Fots
Last edited by fgimian on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honestly, get rid of Norton and use one of the many, free antivirus alternatives. Avast, AVG and Bitdefender are all decent and offer free versions.

It shouldn't take you more than fifteen minutes to uninstall Norton and get a free antivirus.

No 3rd party antivirus software here and no viruses ;)
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

OS updates are way more important than so called anti-virus software.

I got windows 7 and I'm pretty sure it's not up to date.

Kinh wrote:I just want to update Form but my Norton antivirus has expired so my PC isn't protected.
Yes you will get a virus. You see you pay money to companies like Native Instruments and many more for a product, but despite you wanting to obtain it legaly, those companies like to inject viruses just for fun.

Are you serious by asking such question? :lol:

Reading the words "native", "access" and "virus" in one sentence in a KVR thread title always makes my heart beat faster for few moments.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Elektronisch wrote:
Yes you will get a virus. You see you pay money to companies like Native Instruments and many more for a product, but despite you wanting to obtain it legaly, those companies like to inject viruses just for fun.

Actually yes. I dont know how it all works but if I wanted to plant a virus in someone's computer Id hijack a platform rather than wait for them to be stupid enough to click a link in a suspicious looking email. But that's just me.

Kinh wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:

Actually yes. I dont know how it all works but if I wanted to plant a virus in someone's computer Id hijack a platform rather than wait for them to be stupid enough to click a link in a suspicious looking email. But that's just me.
Exactly you dont know how it works and you are being way overprotective, because if the Natve Instruments wouldve been hijacked im sure many of us already wouldve have a virus. Plus dont you think NI are secure enough ? there is zero reasonable argument comming from you why not to download from Native instrumens a plugin unless they wouldve been known for having theyr servers being full of trojans. This is as crazy as trying to protect yourself with tinfoil hat from the radiowaves :D Dont worry, just go ahead and download Form, you will be fine :)
Last edited by Elektronisch on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't worry, you'll just get the same virus you got from posting a thread here.

Elektronisch wrote:
Kinh wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:

Exactly you dont know how it works and you are being way overprotective, because if the Natve Instruments wouldve been hijacked im sure many of us already wouldve have a virus. Plus dont you think NI are secure enough ? there is zero reasonable argument comming from you why not to download from Native instrumens a plugin unless they wouldve been known for having theyr servers being full of trojans. This is as crazy as trying to protect yourself with tinfoil hat from the radiowaves :D
No, many of yous wouldn't have a virus because you have antivirus sofware, if you had bothered to read the intro you would see I dont have that. And I'm not arguing anything, Im asking. So once again read the opening comment before you give your opinions so you can avoid embarrassment. Friendly advice. :)

Kinh wrote: No, many of yous wouldn't have a virus because you have antivirus sofware, if you had bothered to read the intro you would see I dont have that. And I'm not arguing anything, Im asking. So once again read the opening comment before you give your opinions so you can avoid embarrassment. Friendly advice. :)
First of all, nowadays, the traditional "virus" (software that intentionally damage the OS or the computer) is more or less erradicated. What is now being spreaded (when the authgors can) is what is usually known as malware, under the form of trojan horses and the likes.

This software, when the user is noob enough to let it, installs in your computer, and stays there, basically trying to collect privileged information (like credit card numbers, your passwords, etc) and send them to the remote servers of the authors. But to get this, the software has to be downloaded, and has to be installed. Usually, the OS doesn't allow thw installation of software except if the user admin provides a specific authorization, by entering his/her pasword. The exception are sume OS vulnerabilities that are discovered every now and then, and that usually are solved byt the scurity updates.

Like many said, if you don't use warez, and don't visit sites of dubious reputation, and don't open e-mail whose senders you don't know, and has attachments, you will be relatively safe. By using the Native Access software to download something from Native Instruments (which is a proprietary software, that allows access to a protected area of their server, where only registered users can access, validating the access with their passowrds), you will very unlikely put your computer and OS at risk. The only possibility to be contaminated would be the software that was going to be downloaded and installed would be contaminated - VERY, VERY UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Kinh wrote: No, many of yous wouldn't have a virus because you have antivirus sofware, if you had bothered to read the intro you would see I dont have that. And I'm not arguing anything, Im asking. So once again read the opening comment before you give your opinions so you can avoid embarrassment. Friendly advice. :)
First of all, nowadays, the traditional "virus" (software that intentionally damage the OS or the computer) is more or less erradicated. What is now being spreaded (when the authgors can) is what is usually known as malware, under the form of trojan horses and the likes.

This software, when the user is noob enough to let it, installs in your computer, and stays there, basically trying to collect privileged information (like credit card numbers, your passwords, etc) and send them to the remote servers of the authors. But to get this, the software has to be downloaded, and has to be installed. Usually, the OS doesn't allow thw installation of software except if the user admin provides a specific authorization, by entering his/her pasword. The exception are sume OS vulnerabilities that are discovered every now and then, and that usually are solved byt the scurity updates.

Like many said, if you don't use warez, and don't visit sites of dubious reputation, and don't open e-mail whose senders you don't know, and has attachments, you will be relatively safe. By using the Native Access software to download something from Native Instruments (which is a proprietary software, that allows access to a protected area of their server, where only registered users can access, validating the access with their passowrds), you will very unlikely put your computer and OS at risk. The only possibility to be contaminated would be the software that was going to be downloaded and installed would be contaminated - VERY, VERY UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN.
Thank you. I guess I'll give it a go and cross my fingers

Return to “Instruments”