What size ssd do i need for linux and bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm sick of win 10 keep resetting my preferences every few days and exposing my data to those, expletive withheld, spy's at micro$oft.

So I'm going to try linux again and I'm going to buy a new SSD to install it on.

I want to use bitwig and the U-he plugins i own and not much else. I have loads of samples on a windows formatted hard drive which i think linux can read?

What size of SSD would i need to buy for that?

I'm looking at using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

If it's only for Bitwig and the operating system - even 64gb should be enough. I usually had my whole Linux installation on a ~80gb partition, and that's including all my photos, programs, video games, documents etc. The only thing I needed a separate space for was music and movies.

I just checked my virtual machine, a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installation takes up 4.5gb :)

Wondering this too. What's a cheap audio interface that works?

my main SSD is a Samsung 250GB version... so lot of space for production. :)

i tend to use another SSD in an external case for really fast backup of my Project folder, just in case my system drive will crash.

In my desktop system, there and Intel SSD that's 3-4 years old. 120gb i think. Still does a great job. Not my whole system is installed on it. /Home is on another disk and samples etc or also on other disk, but if if i would buy a new disk it would be much langer, since they are much cheaper now :-)

More realistically, count for a 30GiB Ubuntu + Bitwig install.

Just a quick note: 128GB and lower capacity SSDs tend to be slower than 256GB and larger. Fewer chips and channels to spread the data over. Also, drives using MLC NAND will write large data sets (typically 10GB or more) significantly faster than TLC NAND drives.

~Jon

jonljacobi wrote:Just a quick note: 128GB and lower capacity SSDs tend to be slower than 256GB and larger. Fewer chips and channels to spread the data over. Also, drives using MLC NAND will write large data sets (typically 10GB or more) significantly faster than TLC NAND drives.
Thanks very much for this information. I'm looking at SSDs now, appreciate the assistance. :)

Best,

dp

Just keep in mind that all write operations you do on your SSD are performed on empty space. Thus the less empty space you have - to more frequently those memory blocks will be overwritten. Usually it is not so important, but if you have only a few Gigs for your work and rewrite them very frequently, theoretically those blocks can be worn out faster.

This is usually expressed as TBW or terabytes written and yes, the lower the capacity, the lower the rating. But even so, it's far more than you're likely to write in a decade. I've done a bunch of SSD reviews on pcworld.com if you want to take a look.

Cheers, Jon

Return to “Bitwig”