Taming searing cymbal and overhead transients

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah, yes, recently got it. Was using it for guitars, but why not trying it on overheads. thanks for the idea :)
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

simon.a.billington wrote:Yep... you could also try bx_refinement from Brainworx.
I use this plugin all over the place lately.

Sknote cuttertone and soundbrigade.
Toneboosters flx and sibalance.

nicksohn wrote:Sknote cuttertone and soundbrigade.
Toneboosters flx and sibalance.
Oh yeah! +1 Soundbrigade. What a wonderful lifesaver plugin.

Just about gave up trying to EQ/multiband Comp a silly 'celeste' instrument that had some serious ringing and resonance problems. In the end it was Soundbrigade that made it much more manageable with minimal effort. It's defintiely a go-to now for specific problems with resonance. (Though I hear 'Soothe' is very good too) and will likely be good to tame treble peaks on cymbals too.

Soothe is definitely king in my opinion. Nothing I've tried does what it does.. or at least not as transparently. It's actually a bit difficult to use as it's so easy to overdo everything due to the transparency. It's also what I'd consider a "cameleon" in that it can do sharp cuts or gentle area effect. One of the most useful plugins I've purchased in recent memory.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Did you compare it to similar plugins like Soundbrigade, TB Sibalance, HOFA IQ-DeEsser, DSM V2 or Soniformer?
It's easy if you know how

Yep. I have 3 of those. None of them is even close to the flexibility or transparency of Soothe. Sibalance was my previous go-to for similar tasks but it's much more fiddly to setup and get working properly. Soniformer is also great but not quick enough to setup for a variety of specific tasks.

DSM V2 is just plain weird to my ears. It's one of those purchases that I truly regret and was a bit hyped into. There's just something "wrong" with it's overall sound. Everything comes out of it sounding "FFTized" and not pleasant at all.

Oh and soundbrigade I've not tried but the videos I've seen on it do not sound promising.. also I'm not going to get any more SKnote plugins. That company just isn't reliable at all. Never got links to my purchases when I installed a new system and he never bothered changing my email address even after multiple requests over the years. I finally just gave up and took the losses. None of SKnote plugins feel like "must have" to me.. except perhaps Necklace. I do miss that one. On all other fronts I have better alternatives.

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. So, you haven't tried Hofa one?
Unfortunately, my demos are over and I can't compare them... That's why I hate demo periods.

bmanic wrote:Yep. I have 3 of those. None of them is even close to the flexibility or transparency of Soothe. Sibalance was my previous go-to for similar tasks but it's much more fiddly to setup and get working properly. Soniformer is also great but not quick enough to setup for a variety of specific tasks.

DSM V2 is just plain weird to my ears. It's one of those purchases that I truly regret and was a bit hyped into. There's just something "wrong" with it's overall sound. Everything comes out of it sounding "FFTized" and not pleasant at all.

Oh and soundbrigade I've not tried but the videos I've seen on it do not sound promising.. also I'm not going to get any more SKnote plugins. That company just isn't reliable at all. Never got links to my purchases when I installed a new system and he never bothered changing my email address even after multiple requests over the years. I finally just gave up and took the losses. None of SKnote plugins feel like "must have" to me.. except perhaps Necklace. I do miss that one. On all other fronts I have better alternatives.
Have you tried Boz Digital Transgressor?

Yup I have that one.. but how would you use that on overheads properly? I can imagine it being really tricky. On kick and snare it's my go-to for transient shaping.

Envelope shapers / transient designers are not the answer on these types of sources in my opinion. I've tried many times before to use those effectively but cymbals, rides, hihats and splashes don't really like these kind of processes. They suffer more than they gain.

Oh by the way, there's one other candidate. Fab Filter Pro-MB is really good for this too but again, it's way too finicky to setup for all the various scenarios. Soothe can take care of most overhead related issues within a few mouse clicks.

What about IQ-DeEsser? It has a BUS mode for dealing with resonances.

bmanic wrote:Yep. I have 3 of those. None of them is even close to the flexibility or transparency of Soothe. Sibalance was my previous go-to for similar tasks but it's much more fiddly to setup and get working properly. Soniformer is also great but not quick enough to setup for a variety of specific tasks.

Quite crazy. Usually an email is enough if you need help with retrieving your data :borg:

Actually SoundBrigade is the perfect tool for that. Does something that cannot be done with other tools (a special arrangement of filters) and tames where needed with extreme transparency.

@everybody: just send some audio if you want to hear a test :tu:

quintosardo wrote:

Quite crazy. Usually an email is enough if you need help with retrieving your data :borg:

Actually SoundBrigade is the perfect tool for that. Does something that cannot be done with other tools (a special arrangement of filters) and tames where needed with extreme transparency.

@everybody: just send some audio if you want to hear a test :tu:
Thanks for your offer, but I prefer a proper demo and spending some time with it, testing it on different material.

Deal. just write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it if interested (and if VST/AU is enough), then you'll let us know your results.

Return to “Effects”