How old is your DAW/Music Computer?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.

How old is your DAW/Music Computer?

One year or less
11%
Two years old
11%
Three years old
15%
Four years old
11%
Five years old
14%
More than five years old
34%
Catfish
3%

Total votes: 131

RELATED
PRODUCTS

2 years

My machine is dated 2007.
It sometimes splutters and becomes the little engine that could, but mostly it works like a champ. Omnisphere maxes it out sometimes, but then I render tracks and the problem goes away. Having hardware limitations is not necessarily a bad thing... Having an SSD helps a lot.
The thought of having to re-install all my software onto a new PC makes me shudder. :neutral:

Late Imac 2009 2.8 i7 12 gigs ram. I went from Snow Leopard to Sierra and on my 3rd hard drive. I will get a solid drive next!
Using Logic X the most, Cubase Pro 9, and Standard Live 9. Playing with FL Studio Alpha running native.

Running many instances of Spire. Omnipshere and Trillion is not too bad running but mostly decent. Lush use to tax my system on
Yosemite and crash but running fine in Sierra. What really drive my computer nuts is Diversion and MPowerSynth!

2009 5,1 3.46 GHz 12-core Mac Pro. This old work horse still does the job. Sierra killed the last of the startup key commands that still worked and the A CPU Booster fan would crank up for no reason. Macfancontrol made it behave. I'm hoping for one more OS upgrade before Apple nixes the 5,1 Mac Pros and a few more years of Logic updates.

Am very delighted to run windows 10 on a 2010 i7 2.8 10gb ram.
have updated the GPU once and added a SSD at some point - Runs very well and I have no plans to buy a new PC yet.

ontol wrote:an ancient GTX285
GTX285 is fresh meat! Running 9600GT here... I'm pondering getting a 960, but it just sounds like a serious downgrade... :lol:

Maybe more like beef jerky than fresh meat...it's still edible, but not as tender as it once was.

No DirectX 12 for us!

And my card is actually ancient; it was built by an asus tech who time travelled back to 1944 to help Superman win WWII.

I'm on Win7. So, no DirectX12 with any card. I just realized I have a spare GTX285 gathering dust in a box, a leftover from upgrading my kid's rig. I never cared to use it on my music comp, because it's noisy and a power hog.

2001. computer music enabled.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Three years, and probably has to work another 4 years or so... at least i really can't be arsed to shell out 1.000 € again for a new machine.

I upgraded to a new 7700K configuration about a month ago and am very happy with it.
The previous one I had was some 8 yo, a trusty old Q6600 Quadcore-based setup which served me really well.

I must say I was hesitant about upgrading to 7700K when I found out I wouldn't be able to run Win7 on it anymore (which I was a big fan of).
But then I found out about the numerous blessings of going for a Win10 Enterprise LTSB version and all I can say it's brilliant indeed.
It's all Win10 should have been: no bloat and full control.
When tweaked, it's exactly like Win7, but with a way better "engine".
With that said, it's a pricey solution, that's for sure, but works flawlessly.

10-year old core2duo, 4 Gb RAM, was XP, now on Win 7 x64. Runs 1 with REAPER x64 and my 32bit arsenal :)

Just built a new desktop in December/January with an i7-6700 and 32 GBs RAM. Running Windows 7 Pro which I loaded to be able to run Pro Tools 10. Had so many problems trying to get it to work, I gave up and have 12 only now. I think all my RTAS plugs are updated or replace with something better now, so I probably could update the OS. But I like Win 7. Don't really like Win 10. So far it has been pretty good. Not many CPU overload issues.

My other music computer is a laptop that is 3 years old. Also an i7, but I think it is only a 4000 series. It works fine, but sometimes it can't handle all the VSTi's. It used to have Windows 7 on it, but I stole the Win 7 for my new build and reinstalled the 8.1 that came with it. I find I don't use it as much since I built the desktop.

An intel imac from 2006 with 10.4.11, and a pc E6550/4Gb ram with W7x64 (2008). (softwares also from this era)
Am I win? :hihi:

Still satisfied with this setup, and don't want to upgrade, more than enough for my purposes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rztjhKe5OdM

Will be one week this afternoon 8)

Oh, I already made quite a bit of music with it.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”