Can't get Windows 7 to update?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just leave it - forcing it to update will make it worse. It looks like its doing nothing but it is. It will update once left for a while.

I got another update last night :o :hyper:

dreamkeeper wrote:Maybe just coincidence, but after manually installing this, update worked:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
No coincidence. It's the fix for win update... which breaks bluetooth.

Can't get Windows 7 to update? SUCCESS AT BLOODY LAST !!!!!!!! :dog:

About 5 weeks ago after reinstalling win7 on a laptop [which was never upgraded to 8 or 10], I got maybe 60 updates initially.
But then next time I tried it, Windows Update refused to work and consequently I spent a fair time trying to find the solution (mainly because I didn't look here, on KVR). A couple of days ago, I finally found a sevenforums thread that got me back on track;
http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-upda ... fixes.html
(see ThrashZones post complete with images)

20 minutes later, update was working again and it found another 213 updates that took about 7 hours to download and install. Then another 6, and another 6 and then 5 more and then a couple more individual updates.

Now checking for updates runs for a couple of minutes and reports back that we are up to date and there are no updates available. And now I discovered this thread on KVR...

Had I had looked on KVRs "Computer Setup and System Configuration" I may have saved a lot of time and effort. Can't comment on the Bluetooth issue as I don't know if this laptop ever had it to start off with.

Thanks for posting the info. It's good to have reference links. I may take a look later. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

bob bobwood wrote: Had I had looked on KVRs "Computer Setup and System Configuration" I may have saved a lot of time and effort.
I told you so :hihi:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Zombie Queen wrote:
dreamkeeper wrote:Maybe just coincidence, but after manually installing this, update worked:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
No coincidence. It's the fix for win update... which breaks bluetooth.
Ah, yes! Thanks for confirmation and the article link.

Everything working flawlessly here since then.

cheers!
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

Kind of skipping thru this. I have Win 7 loaded on a laptop. I have it let me know about updates and I usually look at the before updating.

But yesterday I ran what looked like okay to do updates. Don't think there was a problem. Then I updated NI products including Kontakt. Well Kontakt was fine for a bit, then froze. I shut down but it got stuck in shutting down mode and a force shutdown later, my second drive is no longer recognized. I didn't think the update had any thing to do with it, but now I'm wondering after reading all these comments. I've had issues with it before. It's a Windows 8.1 machine so there have been some work arounds. Guess I'll try undoing everything and see if it helps. Thanks.

bob bobwood wrote:Had I had looked on KVRs "Computer Setup and System Configuration" I may have saved a lot of time and effort.
In general, how to make life simpler?:

Always turn to KVR for knowledge first. Forget Google :borg:

WSUS offline updater stuck at: installing..\cpp\vcredist2015_x64.exe...
Any idea why ?
Should I just wait or reboot ?
Edit: Windows update was running in the background. After reboot, relaunch the WSUS updater seems to work...still installing...
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

I have had the problem of endless checking for like almost a year, so I turned the updates off completely.

Today I switched to Bitdefender, so I got all kinds of warnings initially :P Among them about Windows patches. So I googled the problem again, and this time I found a solution. Tried it, and it worked immediately.

Here is the link, I only had to install the first KB he mentioned.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 5096b36d0c

Hehe, also found an optional patch that will stop all the unwanted W10 activity :)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3184143

Got a computer I haven't been able to update since May 2016. I have tried several times, seeing it looking for update for hours without nothing happening.

Today I turned on the search, I got updates delivered immediatly :o :party:

Sorry this did not work for me. I tried all 3 links from the microsoft page and each time I tried to install i got a message that this update is not applicable to my system or something similiar to this message. I contacted ilok and they said I would have to hire a certified tech to install for me since I could not figure how to install without getting the error message.
Can anyone provide instruction on what to and how to install the KB3125574 update. Man This Is Utterly Absurd. I am surprised this is not the talk of the town. I can not access my plugins from ilok because i have to pay someone to install an update from microsoft which they should have included in windows update.
I see why people are using cracked software now. I HATE ILOK !! I will Never purchase any more products that require ilok ever again. Really a shame because I love Slate, Izotope,UVI And Now I'm Stuck untill I can get this stupid update installed from microsoft !!! UGH !

Went through this with 2 systems. Spent days researching a fix. Ended up there are mutliple problems and solutions, a different fix worked for each system. Has to do with whether you went for the free W10 upgrade, when you last updated (MS broke something and released a hotfix) and the huge rollup they released last year. You have to follow the directions exactly re: stopping services and restart points.

Finally, for some, you have to leave update running overnight once all fixes are employed to get the updates. Again, has to do with the rollup. IIRC, there's a stand-alone updater that works as well that I used after the fact and W7 updated within minutes.

As to that specific KB, look in the windows folder to see if it's already installed. I don't see what the Update Catalog has to do with ILOK unless it's other updates you need like .NET framework update/ upgrade.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”