What have you heard recently that really impressed?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ridvan (tunca here on KvR) of Analogue Obsession has finally fixed the problematic demos and broken plugins so I can now wholeheartedly recommend them. The prices are also a lot more sane so it's not as risky to purchase these tools now.

Yesterday I purchased BXQ which is deceptively transparent and pleasing sounding. I was also surprised that I got the Brutus compressor for free with the purchase. As I understand it, that's a limited time offer (no idea of the time span though).

So yeah, I was quite harshly critiquing these plugins earlier (not the sound though, but the price and brokenness) but now that they seem to be working I have to add them to the "secret sauce" list of plugins. Very worth checking out.

http://analogobsession.com
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Oh wow I have never heard of these. Going to try their SSL bus comp right away.

Edit - Ugly, but the BX EQ sounds really good. Will have to give the SSL bus comp a deeper listen, but so far it sounds really good.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Last edited by Silaris on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Acme Audio Opticom XLA-3! Just amazing on the drum buss, amazing.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... xla-3.html
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Aiynzahev wrote:Oh wow I have never heard of these. Going to try their SSL bus comp right away.

Edit - Ugly, but the BX EQ sounds really good. Will have to give the SSL bus comp a deeper listen, but so far it sounds really good.
All of his plugins are truly good sounding. I'll wait a while and see how the company develops but now that he has fixed most of the problems (there are still some, the EAQ demo times out after just a few minutes which makes it useless for demoing) and revised the pricing (they were really expensive at first) I think Analog Obsession plugins will be here to stay.

I bought BXQ as a token of respect for the developer and because it is truly useful. Probably the best non-nebula/Aqua Bax eq plugin I've heard.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Not exactly 'new' but new to me. Kush Transformer Model A & PA VSC-2 are getting a lot of love here.

PSP Piano Verb 2. I picked it up on sale for $19 not really expecting much, but it really improved the sound of my Imperfect Sounds Steinway Walnut. I hardly ever used it but after adding the Piano Verb, it sounds like a real piano. Or a recording of a real piano LOL!

Just used the piano preset. Anytime I can use just a preset and I like it, it is good. And? There is a free version which just sat in my effects folder. Forgot I had it.

Rediscovering old tools: I made an 1176-like preset in ReaComp which makes an excellent 0-latency soft limiter. Really great for vocals, overly sharp drums, and of course smashing parallel compression. I was never satisfied with other freeware 1176s, Antress came close but produced this odd high pitch whine, so this is functionally exactly what I needed and I pretty much put it on everything now.

Also, airwindows tubedesk. I'd been neglecting to try it out but I finally did and it's incredible. Instantly adds weight and detail to pretty much wherever you put it. Opens up the master bus like nothing else. Sometimes it narrows the stereo image slightly, but nothing that can't be compensated for with a little M/S processing afterwards. For the record, I wasn't a big fan of the original Desk plugin, didn't really like what it did to the sound, but TubeDesk gets a :tu:
Last edited by nineofkings on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

www.trenzendenz.bandcamp.com is the new cool...

Pearl 2 from Acustica. I have P1 & the free update includes a new comp along with additional features plus all new individual components added free as well. The EQ sounds shines on the master.

Oh really impressed with Sie-Q from Soundtoys, was a freebie at the time I got it very good for adding character to synthesizers. Soundtoys plugs are on sale right now really liking the a lot of Softube plugins I've been demoing like the Drawmer multiband compressor and Brilliance EQs.

Haven't purchased any yet , but from the demos Toontrack EZXs Big Rock Drums seem to nail the Black Sabbath (Ozzy) and Led Zeppelin drum sound of the 70s .. Also Seventies Rock and Southern Soul ezx seem to get that the Eagles feel and Muscle Shoals Sound ( similar to Alabama Shakes ) Alt Rock with Steve Albini ... Wow Steve Albini does an EZX ... Holy crap .. Big Rock Drums and Alt-Rock seem the most intriguing ...... For me out of the EZXs ...

Return to “Effects”