Automating change A-H snapshot

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey hivemind,

I've not had to do this before, but essentially i want to switch between the A-H snapshots using automation... so at certain points in a track i switch from A to B snapshots.

Normally i wouldn't do this and I'd just automate the values, but I'm using MXXX and i want a TOTALLY different processing setup to kick in, with different modules, etc. So it's not automatable in the standard way.

I do not want to use saved presets, i just want to switch between the A-H. That way the data is saved with the project and i dont have to worry about changes to the preset effecting the project.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Somewhat answering my own question:

"...It is also possible to switch between the presets using MIDI program change messages sent from your host. The set selected depends on the Program Change number: 0 selects A, 7 selects H, 8 selects A, 15 selects H and so on."

This isn't something I've ever done before, any idea how to set this up in Reaper?

Thanks!

Looks like DarkStar asked the question a while ago and it's not working, which is odd because it's in the documentation (quoted above)
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... t+selector

Hello,

if I remember correctly, there were some problems with Program Changes in the VST3 format. Fortunately, there is the option "Simulate program change via controller". So, you can use Control Change messages for the same purpose. Even here, there is a problem with the Bank Select controllers (0+32) but the other ones seem to work. I have tested the non-reserved CC #003 and it worked perfectly in Cubase. Have a look at the MIDI configuration screen in the attachment.

And, of course, you will have to create a MIDI track and route its output into the plugin you want to automate but I suppose this is known to you ;-)

Best regards
--
Miloslav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Awesome thanks. I tried it and got it to work, then it became unreliable when I went to use it properly in the session and now I can't reproduce it at all. I think i'll just stick with multiple instances as it's less fiddly.

If a better version can't implemented, I'd love to see A-H snapshot switching be supported by multiparameters. Yes, they take time to initialise, but it would make the snapshots more useful.

One thing that has me foxed: I cannot really see the (CPU-load)difference between switching between the A...H preset slots using an automation parameter [*] and clicking quickly on them.

-----------------
[*] I don't mean morphing from one to another, I mean param value 0.0 to 0.125 selects A, 0,125 to 0,250 selects B and so on.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Here's the problem - this operation can NOT be performed while processing. Basically it needs to be performed in another thread, because it's time consuming, and the main processing engine needs to be temporarily bypassed. It would work for simple plugins with a few knobs, but not with the hitech stuff we have there :). So, if you do switch between presets, you may run into serious trouble when rendering, where the engine just becomes bypassed for the rest of the processing if it is quick enough :D. So I don't want people to do that and having a parameter, that would do that, would encourage people as "do this, it's safe", but it's not, so..
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Yep I can totally see that, I'd add that for the specific use case I need it for it absolutely wouldn't be a problem. I have long sessions containing hundreds of assets that get rendered out individually. I want to change the processing set up for the different assets with a simple selector.

As i said before, i can just use multiple instances and automate bypassing, it's not as clean but I can make it work at least.

Return to “MeldaProduction”