Waves - When should we use Mono/Stereo FX plugin in waves ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I understand that we should use waves mono FX plugin when we use a Mono source and a Waves stereo FX plugin when we use a stereo source . Although I do not know why should we use them that way .

When should we use the Waves Mono/Stereo FX plugin in and why ?

Thanks

The way I use stereo/mono plugins depends on the sound. I use these plugins on individual tracks, not in the master bus. I tend to add stereo widening slightly on sounds like pads, strings, certain pluck sounds, etc. Mono I use for low frequency sounds like bass, kicks, etc. In addition to this I use panning. When it all comes together it's all about placing the different sounds at suitable places in the stereo field.

I also use the mono/stereo tools temporarily on the master bus to shift between mono and stereo when I am mixing. I find it useful to listen to the track in both stereo/mono when I am mixing, because that allow me to check that each individual sound can punch thru the mix and that it has the correct place in the stereo field. Once I am done I remove the mono/stereo tool from the master bus.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Hi ,

This question is specifically wih respect to Waves plugins . For example lets take H-Delay from waves .

When Do you use the following :

1) H-Delay Mono

2) H-Delay Mono/Stereo

3) H-Delay Stereo

Thanks

Sorry I missed your point, but part of my answer is partly the same. I have H-delay from Waves and as the name suggest each version of H-delay (Mono, Stereo, Mono/Stereo) are suited depending on the sound you are going to run thru it.

A single trumpet, just to take a stupid example, is mono because naturally that instrument is a mono instrument. If you want to add delay to that trumpet and keep it's more natural sound you should go for the H-delay Mono.
Same goes for a bass sound or any low frequency sound, where you want to add delay without messing up the mono signal.

If you load up H-delay Mono and run a synth thru it you can clearly hear it turn the sound into mono, all though the synth is stereo. The H-delay Mono/Stereo happens to have both mono and stereo capability, i.e it can operate in such way that it affect the L/R channel separately (stereo) or mono.

The H-delay stereo is the one to choose for stereo sounds, plucks, pads, etc, and sounds that you want to keep stereo in the stereo field of the mix.

Note that a signal can still be mono all though it's running thru channel L/R at the same time (double mono).
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Some effects can take a mono source and output a stereo signal - like a chorus - mono in, stereo out. So if your source is mono, use either a mono version or the mono/stereo version depending on whether you want to keep the source mono or widen (stereoise) it.

This also depend a lot on your DAW.

For example: Reaper's tracks are always stereo - even if the audio file is mono. A mono file gets played back on the track's first 2 channels. If you insert a mono/stereo effect here, it will sound the same as using the stereo version.

Logic though has mono and stereo tracks. If you want stereo chorus from a mono source here, you would use the mono/stereo version and Logic's track will change to stereo.

Studio One has mono and stereo tracks too, but it won't change a mono track to stereo by inserting the mono/stereo plug, like Logic does. If you need a stereo effect from a mono source in S1, you have to bus it. But I haven't used S1 for a while so this might have changed.

Andywanders wrote:Some effects can take a mono source and output a stereo signal - like a chorus - mono in, stereo out. So if your source is mono, use either a mono version or the mono/stereo version depending on whether you want to keep the source mono or widen (stereoise) it.

This also depend a lot on your DAW.

For example: Reaper's tracks are always stereo - even if the audio file is mono. A mono file gets played back on the track's first 2 channels. If you insert a mono/stereo effect here, it will sound the same as using the stereo version.

Logic though has mono and stereo tracks. If you want stereo chorus from a mono source here, you would use the mono/stereo version and Logic's track will change to stereo.

Studio One has mono and stereo tracks too, but it won't change a mono track to stereo by inserting the mono/stereo plug, like Logic does. If you need a stereo effect from a mono source in S1, you have to bus it. But I haven't used S1 for a while so this might have changed.
Probably one of the better explanations you are going to get right here.

Well to state the obvious, mono for mono tracks, stereo for stereo tracks.

But expanding on that...

You can use two mono plugins on a stereo left and stereo right of a track for an "unlinked" stereo processing sound. That is one side won't influence the other while processing. You can do this either in a Duo Mono mode some DAWs do, or you can split it into seperate tracks

The benefit is it may expand the stereo image a bit, the downside it may cause the phantom centre in the track to become a bit unstable.

Another use of duo mono (or track splitting) is mid-side processing. You just need to make one track mid and the other side and use whatever plugin you want to process each.

simon.a.billington wrote:Well to state the obvious, mono for mono tracks, stereo for stereo tracks.
He gets that. His particular question relates to the mono/stereo version of the effect. Something, in fact, I've often wondered.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:Well to state the obvious, mono for mono tracks, stereo for stereo tracks.
He gets that. His particular question relates to the mono/stereo version of the effect. Something, in fact, I've often wondered.
Well, 'mono' is 'all mono' or could be stated as 'mono/mono' or even 'mono->mono'.

stereo is 'all stereo' or 'stereo/stereo' or 'stereo->stereo'

mono/stereo is 'mono->stereo'

use the mono plugin for the case where the input signal is in mono and the output from the effect is required to be in mono

use the stereo plugin for the case where the input signal is in stereo and the output from the effect is required to be in stereo

use the mono/stereo plugin for the case where the input signal is in mono and the output from the effect is required to be in stereo
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: use the mono/stereo plugin for the case where the input signal is in mono and the output from the effect is required to be in stereo
There it is. In a nutshell. Cheers :tu:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

whyterabbyt wrote:
ramseysounds wrote:
Well, 'mono' is 'all mono' or could be stated as 'mono/mono' or even 'mono->mono'.

stereo is 'all stereo' or 'stereo/stereo' or 'stereo->stereo'

mono/stereo is 'mono->stereo'

use the mono plugin for the case where the input signal is in mono and the output from the effect is required to be in mono

use the stereo plugin for the case where the input signal is in stereo and the output from the effect is required to be in stereo

use the mono/stereo plugin for the case where the input signal is in mono and the output from the effect is required to be in stereo
Wow . Thanks .. That was simple and easy to understand :)

ramseysounds wrote:
If you read on I expanded on that...
You can use two mono plugins on a stereo left and stereo right of a track for an "unlinked" stereo processing sound. That is one side won't influence the other while processing. You can do this either in a Duo Mono mode some DAWs do, or you can split it into seperate tracks

The benefit is it may expand the stereo image a bit, the downside it may cause the phantom centre in the track to become a bit unstable.

Another use of duo mono (or track splitting) is mid-side processing. You just need to make one track mid and the other side and use whatever plugin you want to process each.
Or was that not the answer the OP was looking for??
Last edited by simon.a.billington on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Double post]

Return to “Effects”