Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:The Darklight is interesting - I presume it fills in the missing gap in the Arturia one which is the samler aspect of the Fairlight? - however I'd rather UVI reduced the Darklight further than bundle a plugin I'd never use.
What gap? Arturia has no Fairlight emulation at all... :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

aMUSEd wrote:The Darklight is interesting - I presume it fills in the missing gap in the Arturia one which is the samler aspect of the Fairlight? - however I'd rather UVI reduced the Darklight further than bundle a plugin I'd never use.
Darklight is in Vintage Vault, so for me it becomes to expensive too buy on it's own, even at the current deal. I will rather save up to get Vintage Vault, or wait for another no-brainer on that at Guitar Centre

fmr wrote:
What gap? Arturia has no Fairlight emulation at all... :shrug:
Oh what am I thinking, I'm mixing it up with the Synclavier. :dog:

ghettosynth wrote: This particular group buy, is really just a sale at this point so, again, comparing prices, this thing seems overpriced compared to the much more functional UVI product.

The Hollow Sun product has a pretty basic interface as well, but at $15, I'm not sure that I could complain too much about that.

I get the iLok squeamishness, but, a lot of us don't care and actually prefer iLok. So, it seems to me that the best value in this market is still the UVI product, no?

I think that if I cared more about the Fairlight, that would be my choice.
Bitley's product has many more Fairlight sounds than the other products. I think that's the main selling point of it vs. them. I own a few UVI products (that I bought as a great deal), but I've personally felt that most of the UVI libraries come with too few presets based on their MSRP (Synths Anthology and Synth Legacy would be exceptions but they cover all types of synthesis). Ilok is okay with me as I have a ilok dongle although I like the convenience of not having to use it as I have a 2nd machine without ilok installed.

If someone just wants the couple of dozen or so "classic" sounds, then Hollow Sun or UVI's libraries would likely satisfy just fine. I'm not too bothered by the lack of a GUI on the Bitley products, but I can see where that would be a deal breaker for some.

I'm gonna hold out for Aly James' Samplight. Until then I have the fabel2112 Kontakt samples and the CMI iOS app if I need a Fairlight fix.
Image Image Image Image

kitekrazy wrote:
epiphaneia wrote:
KeithAdv wrote:
cooljazz58 wrote:More on: Bitley Fairlight/Synclav Group Buy Offer (Deadline by Monday 15.00 Central European Time)
This wins my vote as the best intentioned/worst marketed group buy ever! :)
+1.000

...Now I admit I´m quick to suspect "shadiness" while that proposal might just have been less-than-clever marketing :party: ...
If you learned anything is how not to do a group buy. They should be simple.
That's the part that interested me most (because I'm a marketing guy). Bitley was/is basically offering his labor-of-love, took-me-years-to-create, had-support-from-the-synth-designer product at a very reasonable price. I've been through many of the presets now and they're pretty good--1400 presets for 73 bucks. As much as I love UVI and Hollow Sun, this is a singular offer.

So I've been wondering why, comparatively speaking, the recent group buy from Homegrown would be such a brilliant success that the sale actually continues to this day, while the Bitley group buy sputtered and was cancelled before it was supposed to end? (Although, not to mislead, apparently you can still get the deal through Sunday). What was the difference?

Here are my thoughts. (Of course, I've never run a group buy and don't know anything but that's never stopped me from having an opinion!)

I think there are three elements to a good group buy. (1) The offer (2) Level management, and (3) Group building. The Offer is the goal you hope to achieve. Level management is everything related to leveling--is the criteria for reaching each level clear? Are there valuable benefits at each level? Is the participant count consistently updated so that everyone interested can decide what their "tipping point" is? And Group building is simply constant interactive marketing designed to build group excitement.

Homegrown executed all three about as perfectly as can be done, especially on the group building end. If I recall, throughout the entire GB, the conversation thread in this forum was always on the front page. There's an old saying in advertising that someone has to see an ad about 20 times before they think they're seeing it for the first time. I wasn't particularly interested in the Homegrown GB when I first saw it, but the constant interaction in the thread and clear commitment from the seller eventually won me over. Bitley, on the other hand, seemed to work from a "if you build it, they will come perspective." Well, not always!

TL/DR: I think kitekrazy is right. There isn't anything wrong with Bitley's product and the price is great. So the Offer was fine. The GB was a disappointment because of Level managment and Group building fails.

Like I said, just my uninformed opinion.

I've been through many of the presets now and they're pretty good--1400 presets for 73 bucks. As much as I love UVI and Hollow Sun, this is a singular offer.
Your uninformed opinion is very true KeithAdv. Just take care.. ..You have to deal on KvR with people who imagine themself as "musicians" or "producers" or whatever they think they are. The sad truth is that some are not even able to grasp a very good product and value for money even if it's placed right in front of there nose. That's because they are too busy posting "deals" for old Zero-G samples i guess. :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

The Gates of Sararr track on their website is quite sublime, but how much of that is made with Fairlight/Kontakt NKI's, only the processed vocal sample ?

http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/lost-in ... ight-maze/

Makes me think of that old Pergamonaltar :pray:

KeithAdv wrote: That's the part that interested me most (because I'm a marketing guy). Bitley was/is basically offering his labor-of-love, took-me-years-to-create, had-support-from-the-synth-designer product at a very reasonable price. I've been through many of the presets now and they're pretty good--1400 presets for 73 bucks. As much as I love UVI and Hollow Sun, this is a singular offer.

So I've been wondering why, comparatively speaking, the recent group buy from Homegrown would be such a brilliant success that the sale actually continues to this day, while the Bitley group buy sputtered and was cancelled before it was supposed to end? (Although, not to mislead, apparently you can still get the deal through Sunday). What was the difference?

Here are my thoughts. (Of course, I've never run a group buy and don't know anything but that's never stopped me from having an opinion!)

I think there are three elements to a good group buy. (1) The offer (2) Level management, and (3) Group building. The Offer is the goal you hope to achieve. Level management is everything related to leveling--is the criteria for reaching each level clear? Are there valuable benefits at each level? Is the participant count consistently updated so that everyone interested can decide what their "tipping point" is? And Group building is simply constant interactive marketing designed to build group excitement.

Homegrown executed all three about as perfectly as can be done, especially on the group building end. If I recall, throughout the entire GB, the conversation thread in this forum was always on the front page. There's an old saying in advertising that someone has to see an ad about 20 times before they think they're seeing it for the first time. I wasn't particularly interested in the Homegrown GB when I first saw it, but the constant interaction in the thread and clear commitment from the seller eventually won me over. Bitley, on the other hand, seemed to work from a "if you build it, they will come perspective." Well, not always!

TL/DR: I think kitekrazy is right. There isn't anything wrong with Bitley's product and the price is great. So the Offer was fine. The GB was a disappointment because of Level managment and Group building fails.

The intro price to get in was too high for something that wasn't really clear. Whereas Homegrown started with a low price and was very clear on what you would get. The Cassetto was worth $14.95, so the remaining freebies were just icing on the cake.

When you say presets and mention synths, I am going to assume they are presets for that synth, not a nki of that synth. So I know I looked at it, said I don't have those programs, presets are useless, and I'm gone. And? The Bitley website is a mess. Not enough white space. Hard to read. Doesn't make you want to be there. And it is too bad. The sound seem good. I am not into 80's sounds, so it wasn't for me. But each product should have its own page.

I think that makes it a turn off for those of us on the fence about it. And this is just my opinion from many years in retail and business.

dzilizzi wrote:
KeithAdv wrote: That's the part that interested me most (because I'm a marketing guy). Bitley was/is basically offering his labor-of-love, took-me-years-to-create, had-support-from-the-synth-designer product at a very reasonable price. I've been through many of the presets now and they're pretty good--1400 presets for 73 bucks. As much as I love UVI and Hollow Sun, this is a singular offer.

The intro price to get in was too high for something that wasn't really clear. Whereas Homegrown started with a low price and was very clear on what you would get. The Cassetto was worth $14.95, so the remaining freebies were just icing on the cake.

When you say presets and mention synths, I am going to assume they are presets for that synth, not a nki of that synth. So I know I looked at it, said I don't have those programs, presets are useless, and I'm gone. And? The Bitley website is a mess. Not enough white space. Hard to read. Doesn't make you want to be there. And it is too bad. The sound seem good. I am not into 80's sounds, so it wasn't for me. But each product should have its own page.

I think that makes it a turn off for those of us on the fence about it. And this is just my opinion from many years in retail and business.
Yep, and for those that don't recall, the initial offer was terrible. When this was pointed out he complained that the math was too much work, and so I did it for him. He adjusted the offer to make it a better deal and take advantage of my reasoning, but, by then it was probably too late. People had already decided that there was something a bit flakey and non-comital from the vendor. The fact that he pulled the group buy from lack of interest doesn't help this either.

KeithAdv wrote:
kitekrazy wrote:
epiphaneia wrote:
KeithAdv wrote:
cooljazz58 wrote:More on: Bitley Fairlight/Synclav Group Buy Offer (Deadline by Monday 15.00 Central European Time)
This wins my vote as the best intentioned/worst marketed group buy ever! :)
+1.000

...Now I admit I´m quick to suspect "shadiness" while that proposal might just have been less-than-clever marketing :party: ...
If you learned anything is how not to do a group buy. They should be simple.
That's the part that interested me most (because I'm a marketing guy). Bitley was/is basically offering his labor-of-love, took-me-years-to-create, had-support-from-the-synth-designer product at a very reasonable price. I've been through many of the presets now and they're pretty good--1400 presets for 73 bucks. As much as I love UVI and Hollow Sun, this is a singular offer.

Thanks for the kind words about my GB :) I don't know anything about the GB you are all talking about but I just wanted to say that they are very risky to do. Before Cassetto I did one probably around 2010/2011 which was a huge failure and I felt like I had to hide behind a rock for a few months. I had a successful one previously with Black Magic in 2009 and presumed it would work. I think a certain amount of luck is involved. At the start of the Cassetto GB I had no idea if it would work or not and I think it could have gone either way, and I'm very grateful to everyone who made it happen which at the end of the day decides success or failure. But bear in mind when a Dev puts a GB out there it is a very vulnerable position to be in.

I think the Cassetto group buy could serve as a best practice for how to do group buys:

1) Good description of how deal works
2) High quality product, easy to see what one is getting for the investment
3) Easy to follow progress of group buy on website
4) Easy to pick gifts as they get unlocked
5) No brainer price

Numanoid wrote:Get all the Output for half the price, 7 Kontakt Player instruments and 9 expansions for $699

https://output.com/products/bundles
Part of me really wants this bundle, but the price is just too high for the use I would get out of it. :(

If I had the money I would be intersted in buying, below 100 bucks for Kontakt instruments per piece, is not bad.

But it is a HDD guzzler, those 7 instruments will require 100GB of HDD space :o

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”