[REAPER] Align Notes - Looking for script

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
does somebody know a script (or action) which left-aligns the selected notes?

My current workaround is: select notes, hit ctrl-F2 (notes properties), enter "2.1.0" into note position.

How about using Reaper's native quantize notes function, or you don't want to use it for some reason ?

Yeah that's what quantize is doing.

Mmh, yes that works when the notes are somewhat on a similar spot.

Well, not really. Depends on how you adjust the quantize settings, there's plenty of them (Quantize dialog: Settings - Manual). In your case, you will want quantize grid to be 1/4 or 1/2, and only have "Move left" checkbox enabled.

Ok, as an exercise in LUA (which seems to be a very nice scripting language) I'll try to develop such a script.

Sure you can do that, but why bother when Quantize really sorts it out very easily. :)

Surely there's a Snap To Bar/ Beat or a Move To Cursor function in Reaper?

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

Another issue:

Can some confirm this is a bug?

I have setup buttons for following standard actions to the MIDI editor's toolbar:

(a) Quantize note position to grid
(b) Double note length

Grid: 1/4, Snap to Grid is on, quantize note ends is off.

I enter a quarter-note, hit (b) one or several times, hit (a).

Expected behaviour: nothing, because note is already on grid.
Actual behaviour: Note length jumps back to 1/4.

Re: The original question... I don't edit midi in Reaper much but I would think notes could snap to the play cursor.

Select the reference note, hit whatever command locates the cursor there, snap the other notes to the cursor, or if there's a command for that, fire it to move the other notes to the cursor. Things like that have nothing much to do with the grid.

Quantize isn't the function you want. I'll look in my DAW to refresh what it's called in a while.

Look for snap to cursor. Set cursor to desired bar and hit the command. If Reaper allows macros it could be possible to automate moving to the next grid line after the move. Lasso select and the KC seems fastest.

bustedfist wrote:Surely there's a Snap To Bar/ Beat or a Move To Cursor function in Reaper?
Ha Ha - there is no snap to cursor function in Reaper (like there is in Cubase for example - ctrl-L) Of course like most midi functionality in Reaper, you can write a script. :clap: :dog:

C-note wrote:Ha Ha - there is no snap to cursor function in Reaper (like there is in Cubase for example - ctrl-L) Of course like most midi functionality in Reaper, you can write a script. :clap: :dog:
Of course there is.

"Move left edge of note to edit cursor."

Bind any shortcut to it you desire, Ctrl-L is a good one ;)

--->

Also related: "Trim left edge of note to edit cursor" and especially "Trim right edge of note to edit cursor", in case you wish to custom tidy up some notes after this, heh.
Last edited by Guenon on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”