Can someone please make a proper Prophet VS plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

stratum wrote:So theoretical possibilities aside, realistically, what we have is Virtual VS , it can read the VS roms, and roms are in the net, but the filter needs to be improved. If the author releases Virtual VS source code, something can be done about it.
The Virtual VS is very old (last version from 2004), no plugin included (only standalone), the ROMs are not included, the filter seems to be bad and te workflow of the GUI seems to be horrible with mostly buttons and a single date entry fader (like in the real synth) so is this really a better starting point than the Arturia Prophet VS? I guess not really...

Starting from the current Arturia plugin those improvements might be necessary:
- Re-add the Sysex import that was included until V2 of the plugin (or until V-Collection 4 which could be exported to the V-Colection 5 format with the "VC5 Preset Updater" standalone software)
- improve the filter
- add support for custom waveforms (waveforms 000 to 031)
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

That's a job for Arturia, not for somebody who has never seen a Prophet VS. A new plugin design from scratch requires a detailed and easy to understand block diagram, at least.
~stratum~

Ingonator wrote:Starting from the current Arturia plugin those improvements might be necessary:
- Re-add the Sysex import that was included until V2 of the plugin (or until V-Collection 4 which could be exported to the V-Colection 5 format with the "VC5 Preset Updater" standalone software)
- improve the filter
- add support for custom waveforms (waveforms 000 to 031)
And introduce the typical VS aliasing which is part of 'the sound'.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Quite long ago i sampled the VS waveforms in my Wavestation EX (sampled from the audio output of the synth).

Here is a wavetable based on 124 of the VS waveforms and a few "standard" waveforms from the Wavestation EX that was created in Tone2 Icarus:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0EX_VS.zip

The WAV wavetable format besides Icarus is also compatible with e.g. Serum, UVI Falcon and Synthmaster One. It could be also imported in VPS Avenger using the "Resample" feature and re-saving as an Avenger wavetable (waveform size in Avenger set to 2048 samples and waveform amount to 124).
In Falcon you have to add "_2048" at the end of the file name which corresponds to the size of single waveforms (2048 samples). Without that Falcon might only use a singe waveform of the table.

Other wavetable synths that offer resynthesis (e.g. Nave, Codex, PPG Wavemapper 2) could import the WAV file too while the waveforms might not appear 100% like in the wavetable created with Icarus or teh otehr synths mentioend.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

The Virtual Vs has a nice GUI,nothing is horrible only the filter and some strange noises from the chorus needs to be fixed!

It's very cool that the controls are like on the Hardware.

You can load all the Sysex Banks and you have the multi patches.

I use this with WINE on a MAC.

I have that missing VS.bin and 23 sysex cartridge banks everything works fine. :borg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Spirit2017 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Are there lots of sysex patches available?

The Virtual Vs has a nice GUI,nothing is horrible only the filter and some noises needs to be fixed!
Website owner of virtualvs has an email adress here http://www.manfreda.org/home

If you can persuade him to release the source code it may not be too difficult to change the filter, depending on how well (=tidy and commented) it was written. Converting it to a VST is a possibility too. The fact that roms cannot be included for copyright reasons, is pretty bad, of course.
~stratum~

stratum wrote:
The Virtual Vs has a nice GUI,nothing is horrible only the filter and some noises needs to be fixed!
Website owner of virtualvs has an email adress here http://www.manfreda.org/home

If you can persuade him to release the source code it may not be too difficult to change the filter, depending on how well (=tidy and commented) it was written. Converting it to a VST is a possibility too. The fact that roms cannot be included for copyright reasons, is pretty bad, of course.
Another welcome possibility, in that case, would be a Mac version. ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

you need to combine the two 8-bit ROM files into a 16-bit interlaced MSB/LSB format. The following details how this interlacing should be performed:
8-bit MSB
32 kB
AA BB CC DD ..
8-bit LSB
32 kB
00 11 22 33 ..
16-bit interlaced result
64 kB
AA00 BB11 CC22 DD33 ....

The resulting interlaced data should be saved in a raw binary format. The resulting file should be exactly 64 kB in size.

Lastly, rename the ROM file to VS.bin

http://www.manfreda.org/prophet-vs/virtualvs/faq
Which editor/utility do you need to combine the rom files?

bitcrush01 wrote: Which editor/utility do you need to combine the rom files?
I lost 2 hours to find a solution but i found it,i love the sound of this emulation.

after you have the 2 bin files (Least Significant Bit and most significant bit):

1-Download free "WINHEX"
2-Open WINHEX
3-Go to "Tools">>>"File Tools">>>"Unify">>>""Bytewise(8bit)" a message will apear ,press ok
4- first select the "most significant bit" bin
5-then select the "Least Significant Bit" bin
6-name the output file: VB.bin

all done !
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

I used to own a Prophet VS, but never cared for the harsh, thin sound. I actually like the Arturia emulation better precisely because it doesn't sound much like the real thing!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

sergiofrias wrote:
bitcrush01 wrote: Which editor/utility do you need to combine the rom files?
I lost 2 hours to find a solution but i found it,i love the sound of this emulation.

after you have the 2 bin files (Least Significant Bit and most significant bit):

1-Download free "WINHEX"
2-Open WINHEX
3-Go to "Tools">>>"File Tools">>>"Unify">>>""Bytewise(8bit)" a message will apear ,press ok
4- first select the "most significant bit" bin
5-then select the "Least Significant Bit" bin
6-name the output file: VB.bin

all done !
:clap: Thank you! :party: This is really awesome. I googled, but couldn't find anything.
Last edited by bitcrush01 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

But who can make a VST-AU plugin from the Virtual VS?
There is also still the Vector Sector demo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deastman wrote:I used to own a Prophet VS, but never cared for the harsh, thin sound. I actually like the Arturia emulation better precisely because it doesn't sound much like the real thing!
I like their VST, too, but I think the iOS version sounds even better.

suthnear wrote:
deastman wrote:I used to own a Prophet VS, but never cared for the harsh, thin sound. I actually like the Arturia emulation better precisely because it doesn't sound much like the real thing!
I like their VST, too, but I think the iOS version sounds even better.
Yes, I agree!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”