Bitwig 2 vs Ableton live question.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just one question...

Is there anything Bitwig 2 can do that Ableton live can not?

I had BWS1 (sold it) and use Live 9 Suite as my main DAW.

Biggest diffs:
Bitwig runs on Linux, has MPE expression support, more multi-screen options, Windows touch support, the ability to have multiple files open simultaneously, and allows viewing "Arrangement" and "Session" modes on one screen. Bitwig has native modulators (but not the full-on v2 modular system they promised for years!) and an open JavaScript-based scripting system.

In my experience (on Mac) Live is more CPU-efficient, supports more control surfaces out of the box, and has far better-sounding audio warp/timestretch and FX/instruments. Also does AU plugins and ReWire, and Max for Live is a wide-open audio/video toolkit (with a steep learning curve). And it has IMO the best contextual help system of any software, ever.

They're both great but not perfect - ignore the fanboys and haters, try both to see which clicks better, and make some f'n music.

Sjefke wrote:Just one question...

Is there anything Bitwig 2 can do that Ableton live can not?
Besides what the previous poster mentioned...

Bitwig has:
  • multi-clip editing ( so if you have say 6 duplicates of the same clip, you can edit them all at once in Bitwig... not only one by one like Live)

parameter histograms (makes it easy to say add some random variation to note velocities)

better audio editing with multiple audio events within a single clip (big one for me)

you can have groups in groups (and generally better groups functioning IMO)

better integration between Launcher and Arrange

GUI versatility with better mixer view and full screen editor

clip automation with relative modes like multiply and add

32 and 64 bit plugins can both be used (I only have 64 bit plugins at this point so don't care but for peeps using older plugins could be useful)

Thanks for the quick answer..

Running on a Mac, i dont need windows touch, linux support and no RME needed yet with my hardware (tough you never know in the future, i can see this becomming more important)

And thos modulators from BigWig, i guessed there might be a MAX tool to do exactly the same, and if there isnt yet, there probably will be soon..

Will the open java based scripting system be a competitor for MaX? Or is it more restricted?

The Live strong points like AU support, rewire, less CPU intensive, and the flexibility of MAX,.....

Currently using logic, but since i am done wayting for true clip luanching in logic, i plan to rewire or jack/audio one of these with logic and mainstage..

Things I miss from Live

Groove tools
Midi Step Input
Time Signature Automation
The Ableton Vocoder
Ableton's synths and sampler are considerably better, but I mostly use 3rd party plugins anyway

I do not miss Max 4 Live. It always made Live crash prone for me if I used it a lot. It also annoyed me that Ableton made me have to use it because it does not even have a native LFO.

Modulation in Live (including M4L) is essentially unlimited in capability. However, modulation in Bitwig is much more fun and easy to use. The new modulators in 2.0 are the shit. I consider modulation in Bitwig to be superior to Live in terms of quickly doing stuff and one of its biggest selling points.

While I am not using Live at the moment I still expect to upgrade to Live 10 whenever it comes out.

Desparateley missing from Bitwig are different options for clip launching (toggle, gate etc).
Also while you can warp the pitch of clips easily I haven't found a way to automate this yet.

Still I find it incredibly creative & click with it more than I ever did with live

Missing from Live is full PDC.
A well-behaved signature.

Acronym users please check & see if the acronym is available to a majority of readers. PDC & RME...

PDC is obvious:

https://www.acronymfinder.com/PDC.html

I think Joe Gertz refers to the Polaroid Digital Camera. ; )

As for RME, I have an RME audio interface, so that's OBVIOUSLY what is being referred to.

moonchunk wrote:Acronym users please check & see if the acronym is available to a majority of readers. PDC & RME...

PDC is obvious:

https://www.acronymfinder.com/PDC.html

I think Joe Gertz refers to the Polaroid Digital Camera. ; )

As for RME, I have an RME audio interface, so that's OBVIOUSLY what is being referred to.
And for this you wake up this thread????
:clap:

Yeah what the hell do you think you're doing? This was started at the start of the bloody year. Shit, for all you know the op is probably dead!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”