Can someone please make a proper Prophet VS plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As I never owned a Prophet VS or, for that matter don't think I've ever heard one, what is it about the Arturia one that's lacking? Mind you, I tried working with it and wasn't impressed with it at all regardless of whether or not it sounds like the real thing.

wagtunes wrote:what is it about the Arturia one that's lacking?
If you're interested in the nuts and bolts of the VS sound compared to the Arturia Prophet V, the last word on it is here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/arturia-prophet-v

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
If you're interested in the nuts and bolts of the VS sound compared to the Arturia Prophet V, the last word on it is here:

/Joachim
To be fair, the article is 11 years old. I'm sure there have been changes since the V3 update. If there is something more recent out there, I'd love to read it.

wagtunes wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:

/Joachim
To be fair, the article is 11 years old. I'm sure there have been changes since the V3 update. If there is something more recent out there, I'd love to read it.
Absolutely. I haven't found anything more recent with that kind of authority, though, and Gordon makes a very thorough review of the sonic peculiarities of the VS.

Anyway, I do agree that there may be a pinch or two of nostalgia involved here. In fact, a couple of months ago I fired up my old Mac and played Vector Sector for a while and was less enthusiastic than I thought I'd be. OTOH, on the same Power PC, I re-discovered Bornemark's likewise abandoned Broomstick Bass – some quite inspiring bass playing there! ;-)

wagtunes wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:

/Joachim
It's also a pretty good review on balance, and for me I couldn't care less about aliasing anyway. I like the plugin, it sounds fantastic and is one of the best of the VCollection.

Spitfire31 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote:

/Joachim
Absolutely. I haven't found anything more recent with that kind of authority, though, and Gordon makes a very thorough review of the sonic peculiarities of the VS.

Anyway, I do agree that there may be a pinch or two of nostalgia involved here. In fact, a couple of months ago I fired up my old Mac and played Vector Sector for a while and was less enthusiastic than I thought I'd be. OTOH, on the same Power PC, I re-discovered Bornemark's likewise abandoned Broomstick Bass – some quite inspiring bass playing there! ;-)
Are there are pop/rock recordings from the era that you know for certain the Prophet VS was used on? I know the Prophet 5 was on everything.

This reminds me of my request for a D-50 plugin..

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

You know, the day's gonna come when PCs become so powerful that no emulation will be too difficult to do. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that you won't be able to tell the difference between the VST and the hardware. I don't know how far off in the future that is, but it's coming.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

It's possible to perfectly emulate a Prophet VS already, people are nitpicking over it not aliasing enough which is hardly something that would take any more CPU.

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:You know, the day's gonna come when PCs become so powerful that no emulation will be too difficult to do. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that you won't be able to tell the difference between the VST and the hardware. I don't know how far off in the future that is, but it's coming.
It's already here. Someone did some comparison sounds with Diva (or Monark) and a real Model D, and the 'experts' could not tell whether one was hardware or not.

I don't care for synthesizer snobbery. If Sylenth1 can produce something pleasing to the ear, then I'll happily use it.
Oh absolutely. My favorite synths are the ones that make noises you couldn't make years ago, at least not easily. Still, I'd love to have an emulation of a 1972 Emu modular that sounds exactly like it and doesn't bring your PC crashing to its knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo5B1WDRhZY

aMUSEd wrote:It's possible to perfectly emulate a Prophet VS already, people are nitpicking over it not aliasing enough which is hardly something that would take any more CPU.
If we weren't nit picking, what would we be doing? Play music? :hihi:

wagtunes wrote:You know, the day's gonna come when PCs become so powerful that no emulation will be too difficult to do. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that you won't be able to tell the difference between the VST and the hardware. I don't know how far off in the future that is, but it's coming.
Now?

The Legend
Repro-1

Examigan wrote:
Now?

The Legend
Repro-1

Note I said "no" emulation. I think there are still a few things out there that, if we were to make a truly accurate emulation, it would bring PCs crashing to a halt. We still don't have a truly accurate emulation of a Moog modular or a Polymoog for that matter. Heck, the only emulation we have of a Polymoog uses samples.

We're really not there yet. Not for everything. For a lot of things, yeah. Not for everything.

Return to “Instruments”