Audio Interfaces (USB2)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Current Audio Interface = E-MU Tracker Pre
Windows 7 (64Bit)
Max Price: $300 (would have to be really worth it though)
Require: 2 inputs / input preamps (Max) (Vocal Mic & Guitar DI)
Require: USB2 connection / power (don't really want an external power supply)

Occasionally I search around and look at audio interfaces and I was wondering if any of the following interfaces will offer me any noticeable improvements over my current one, that would validate an upgrade?

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (2nd Gen)
Presonus AudioBox USB 2X2
Presonus AudioBox iTwo

Edit:
Audient iD14 (no longer being considered, due to need of power supply for phantom power)

I don't really experience latency as others mention they experience with their various interfaces, but obviously low low low latency is extremely important because without it an interface to me is worthless.

Which leads me to the same question that many have asked, is a anything over $100-$200 for an audio interface worth going over for normal human beings, with normal human being hearing? :)

Also if anyone else has any similar interfaces to recommend from experience please let me know, but don't get too crazy.
Again ideally I would like some people who have or have owned the E-MU Tracker Pre to comment because then your opinions would be based on knowing what it compares to.

Thank You
Last edited by miketurn on Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

As a general rule of thumb, if the interface you have is working, and has the features you want, why do you want to upgrade it? Is there anything in particular you don’t like about the interface? It may be an older interface, but it has quality converters and good specs. The interfaces you list are roughly equivalent, but can be their own can of worms (I have had some issues, for example, with the drivers for my first generation Focusrite 2i2)

Another thing to keep in mind is that a couple new interfaces have just been announced (Roland Rubix24 and the PreSonus Studio 2|6) but are not quite yet available in stores; this is another good reason to wait a bit to see if the latest generations of interfaces can offer you something you currently lack.
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

I have both a Focusrite 2i2 and a Behringer UMC202. I use one in my bedroom studio and the other in my main studion. Price-wise, the Behringer is tough to beat. That said, the Focusrite is top quality for the price. I bought these to replace a Focusrite Saffire USB that only ran on USB 1.1. I am happy with both purchases.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

Keen to see what comes up recommended here, as my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is currently on it's last legs and causing me all sorts of problems and blue screens. :(
Feed The Paw

I had the Focusrite 2i4 for awhile and loved it. It's the only audio interface I've owned that never gave me a single problem. I only replaced it because I ran out of inputs as the my studio grew.

For me, the 2i4 was preferable over the 2i2 because of the MIDI ports, but the 2i4 also has a switchable DI input for guitar, which the 2i2 lacks.

I have both the 1st and 2nd gen 2i2, the 2nd gen is much improved, ashame
there is no upgrade path. Definitely worth it if you like the 2i2 form factor etc,
I needed another interface so I just bought a new one, to their credit focusrite
continues to develop new drivers for the 1st gen model. There is also the plugin
collective incentive although it doesn't "stack" per account.

The problems with the driver and using higher sample rates that were present
with the first gen have vanished with the 2nd...

-Cheers

thomann.de offered the roland ua-s10 for 158,82 € exl.VAT but it seems the one i bought from the was the last one they have in stoke and it's fading out from the market, sweetwater sells it for 400$

after 10 days there's mussikmesse - maybe some you stuff come out, the rubix is not at the level of the quad-capture i believe - mabey roland announces a successor of it with features of the ua-s10

I had the Audient ID14 for a while. It's certainly impressive the quality of the preamps and converters you get at such price. I had a problem with it that led me to return it, sadly.

I don't know if that happened only to me, so you could just try it and return it if you're not happy with it. The issue I had is that the headphone out made slight crackling noises when turning the volume up or down. I returned it and the store guys told me that all the in store models did the same thing, so I ended up exchanging it for the audient ID22 (which has separate analog volume controls for headphone and monitors). Who knows, maybe they lied to me, but I'm happy with the ID22 anyway.

My avice would be: Get the ID14, and if you don't have any issue with it, keep it. It's a steal for the price.

Thank You guys for the responses, I will be back to comment on each comment more specifically soon, but I just came across something that I figured I would mention...

I have taken the Audient ID14 off my list, probably not a problem for most people, but I just came across info that states that the ID14 needs to use a separate power adapter in order to use phantom power with the unit. It is said that this was needed to be done because of how powerful the other components are that not enough power was left for phantom power.
That is great that so much was put into the unit itself, and I know the sound of the unit should come first, but for me personally I would rather not have an external power supply for my purposes.

Edit:
A forum user has sent me a PM mentioning that the larger Focusrites use external power supplies as well, which is good to know.
Thank You

Thank You all for the responses

@caulixtla
I agree, my intention isn't necessarily to just buy something, but it was only to just see if something out there was a great deal better than what I have. I wasn't sure if things have come a long way since my purchase, but it is interesting that it doesn't seem so.
You also bring up another thing that is a concern of mine as well, buying a product just in time for a new wave of them to hit the market :)
Edit: I was just looking around and ironically the new Presonus interface you mention is available for pre-order.

@JJBiener
Yeah it seems that after reading many of the responses here that Focusrite seems to be a popular choice. Wish I could give a 2nd Gen one a try just to see if it offered something extremely noticable.

@TheCatBurglar
Sorry to hear about your Focusrite, as you mention, hopefully something mentioned here can help you in your purchase.

@RichieWitch
Yeah the 2i4 so far was the one I was considering the most.
A while back I saw someone mention those switches for the DI inputs, do you notice any kind of difference with them?

@pekbro
Seems quite a bit of talk about driver issues with the 1st gen and I also have seen a great deal of talk about latency issues as well. I watched a video where the guy had so much latency when trying to play a guitar it was painful to watch and listen to.
If this is what you mean by "upgrade path", I agree to me it seems that if you purchase their products and they have issues, you shouldn't have to pay full price to upgrade to a newer model that solves those issues.
Last edited by miketurn on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

A couple things I have read elsewhere mention to make sure you are happy with the software your audio device uses to bridge between your computer and the interface. Obviously the drivers, but also the GUI based software provided.
To be honest I never really use any gui based software for my audio interface, I am not actually sure mine has anything to offer in this category.

Does anyone else, for example Focusrite users, do your audio interfaces provide GUI software needed to be setup, other than a basic drivers?

For the entry level Focusrite stuff its pretty basic, just a simple dialogue
to set the sample rate and buffer size. The higher level models have
a mixer app I believe. They do provide some nice plugins though.

You get what you pay for I guess... supposedly the scarlet's have the lowest
latency in their class. According to Focusrite anyway. The main reason to
get one is the price vs quality IMHO. If you can afford significantly more, then you
might want to look elsewhere, depending on your needs.

-Cheers

@pekbro
Thank You for your response, that is what my interface has as well, a simple dialogue for those settings.
As you mention, "if you can afford significantly more" that is the question, obviously it is an important component, but hard to tell how much to spend on a device like this to get the performance you need. Can get tough to tell if units are just more expensive because they are just offering you more things that you don't need rather than being better quality.

I have been expanding my searches and wow I didn't realize there were as many companies that offer audio interfaces as there are.

As I mentioned, the following things for me will probably not change....
2 Inputs (XLR / 1/4")
2 Preamps
Seems that all offer the same bitrates / etc.
Outputs for montiors
Extra set of Outputs just in case
Phantom Power
USB 2
USB powered (no external power supply)

Main thing I am looking for in a possible replacement are improvements in things like
preamps
converters
latency

I don't really require any changes to the external ports themselves.
Anyways if anyone has any more info to share or recommendations please let me know.
Thank You
Last edited by miketurn on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://mackie.com/products/onyx-blackjack

These are very nice preamps, no MIDI connector though

miketurn wrote:Thank You all for the responses

@RichieWitch
Yeah the 2i4 so far was the one I was considering the most.
A while back I saw someone mention those switches for the DI inputs, do you notice any kind of difference with them?
Those DI switches are used to set the inputs for very hot signals, like electric guitar, that would be too high for normal line level inputs. So the difference is not so much audio quality as impedance matching and voltage attenuation. It eliminates the need for a separate DI box.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”