PrettyScope (paint with sound), released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PrettyScope

PrettyScope is released! Please check out the welcome page for more.

PrettyScope is a multi-platform (Mac/Win/Linux) 32/64-bit oscilloscope audio plugin which captures the beauty of analog oscilloscopes while expanding the aesthetic possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0h_Uo8ObFk
  • No longer rely on pixelly images from oscilloscope plugins of the past. Achieve thick, high resolution traces, high framerate, great for youtube and educational/demonstrative/tutorial videos where showing a clear waveform to your audience is important.
  • "Capture and freeze" allows you to view your waveform frozen while adjusting color/shape/zoom/etc
  • Total control over the look of the scope. One can make it look colorful or creepy for artistic endeavors (some settings tend to have a 1950s sci-fi aesthetic) or flat and monochrome for teaching purposes, or anything inbetween.
  • Paint with sound by painting over a frozen image continuously. Draw with dots and lines of various thickness and color for different visual effects. Various coloring and blending modes such as "Laser, LED, Paint, Heatmap" allows a great deal of artistic freedom.
  • Import your own heatmap/colormap, engage heatmap mode on the fly
  • Option for automatic pausing (if input is silent, scope stops drawing, helpful for pausing the scope to capture a waveform or simply make it easier to paint with sound)
  • Easy on the eyes with its high frame rate, high resolution, and stable image
  • Little to no CPU usage (powered by OpenGL), save all that CPU for your synthesizers.
It's ok if you don't win a free copy of PrettyScope.
This is a product I want everyone to have access to.
PrettyScope will be released at just $20.

Planned features (may not exist on release):
  • some kind of video rendering/export
  • Screenshot button
  • Screenshot load/save
  • 1D mode (stereo,mono,mix with waveform detection and syncing)
  • More coloring modes such as using a colormap to control the color of lines based on length
  • More line and dot "shapes" such as linear, glowy, parabolic, etc.
  • Edit colormaps inside the plugin and see your changes in realtime
  • Switch between HSL/RGB/Lab color sliders
  • audio functions: panning, rotation, channel swap, channel invert, boost/compression/limiting
  • video functions: zoom/offset
  • modulation, use an LFO to, for example, rotate hue of your lines and dots
  • standalone version?
  • apply fun effects in realtime such as pixelate, blur, bloom/glow, calligraphy mode, paintbrush mode,spray paint mode
All images made with PrettyScope during development:

Image :tu:
Last edited by Architeuthis on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 34 times in total.

The display is beautiful, the interface less so. Will it be possible to get the gui out of the way so as to just focus on the display? (inc full screen?)

aMUSEd wrote:The display is beautiful, the interface less so.
:'(

What's wrong with the interface? I'm open to suggestions. Anyway, yes, full screen / popout mode should be doable.

Mainly that it dominates over the visualisation. There just too much of it, the whole thing feels unbalanced. Also there's a large amount of unused space compared to the screen itself. Not keen on the colour either but that's more subjective. It's like putting a beautiful painting in a big ugly frame.

aMUSEd wrote:There just too much of it, the whole thing feels unbalanced.
I agree. It's just a matter of knowing how cramped the controls can be without being too cramped. Hopefully beta testers will help decide that.

Cramped would be worse, not sure why you are using sliders though, they take up a lot more room.

Looks really nice!

I generally use scopes for analysis, will it be possible to tone down all the fancy visuals for making measurements? Also, will cursors or some other means of getting precise readings from the image be possible?

This requires OpenGL if I remember correctly from the dev forum, right (or have you ditched it) ?
If so, you might specify the OpenGL requirements.

edit:
Duh, missed the "powered by OpenGL" in the opening post. :dog:

I have an older graphics card which does have OpenGL but doesn't support the latest OpenGL features / versions afaik, so I'm not sure if it makes sense applying for beta testing.

No_Use wrote:I'm not sure if it makes sense applying for beta testing.
If you think it won't run on your computer, it's kinda the best reason to sign up for the beta. That way we know for sure. My graphics card is an Nvidia 8600GTS released in November 2006, so it's over 10 years old. Our target OpenGL version is #330.

Dozius wrote:will it be possible to tone down all the fancy visuals for making measurements?
Yes!
example 1: http://www.elanhickler.com/_/prettyscop ... _scope.gif (larger file)
example 2: SUPER BORING!
(Please note: 1D mode is not properly implemented yet. 1D mode will feature the ability to see two waveforms at once so you can compare a stereo signal. In the future, say PrettyScope2, I could see the addition of "arbitrary number of simultaneous input signals")
Dozius wrote:Also, will cursors or some other means of getting precise readings from the image be possible?
I'm willing to consider adding such features. I never cared for grids and numbers on an oscilloscope so I can't imagine what someone such as yourself would want in terms of that. What kind of precise readings are you trying to get? Write down your feature request here. I'm sure there will be plenty of feature requests, I'll start a list in the beta forum once beta officially starts (Beta form will be here at KVR: viewforum.php?f=238)

Those visuals look amazing! Good job!
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Willing to participate in the beta phase, sent an e-mail to the developer.

This looks fantastic - definitely signing up :)
Feed The Paw

I'm getting a lot of interest in the PrettyScope beta. I am not responding to anyone until the plugin is built/compiled and ready to send out. I'm hoping that will be today or tomorrow! Very soon. :)

I like the superboring mode, have been looking for something like this.

Return to “Instruments”