It's That Time Again...I Need A Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:Back on topic. First off, I just made $3700 selling a chunk of my MTG collection so I have all the money I need to buy whatever I want.

So far, have purchased Lush-101

These are the synths on my possibly to purchase list. The ones with the * are definite. The rest depend on how the demos go and/or how other synths by the developer sell for me.

HALion 6 - $350.00 (Possibly $235 with crossgrade offer)
ONE - $99
Oxium - $104
Minimonsta - $145
Phonec - $59 *
Hive - $125 * (With $25 coupon)

So that's somewhere around $800 depending on what I can get HALion 6 for.

This should keep me more than busy enough for pretty much the rest of the year combined with my other scheduled synths so that I won't have to start another thread like this until 2018. And hopefully, between now and then, somebody will come out with some new synths.

I'm sure that's going to make a lot of people very happy.
Not sure why you say that halion will "possibly" be less with a cross grade. It's very clear that if you have Omnisphere, Kontakt etc that you qualify for cross grade. I think that one is a good choice. I think if you run out of ideas with something like that, then it's truly time to stop the sound design thing. I think that monster would keep anyone busy forever.

I dropped off right after someone suggested Sylenth1 and the OP didn't respond. If Google is your friend and strategic marketing partner...Sylenth1 with 981,000 google hits should be your next soundset. The elephant in the room

Did anyone else have to google MTG? If so, were you also surprised that anyone would pay $3700 for any amount of that?

C-note wrote:I dropped off right after someone suggested Sylenth1 and the OP didn't respond. If Google is your friend and strategic marketing partner...Sylenth1 with 981,000 google hits should be your next soundset. The elephant in the room
It already has about 4 billion soundbanks.

ghettosynth wrote:Did anyone else have to google MTG? If so, were you also surprised that anyone would pay $3700 for any amount of that?
"Magic: The Gathering"? I don't suppose you meant that.

C-note wrote:I dropped off right after someone suggested Sylenth1 and the OP didn't respond.
Well, that is like walking up to a lion and flicking him in the love spuds with a damp towel. So no response is a positive result.

I'll just respond to a couple of things.

MTG - Yes, Magic The Gathering. Been playing since 1994. And yes, people will pay tons of money for some of these cards. It has a huge cult following. I'm selling my cards because around here the game is dying and I don't get to play anymore and I also can use the money. It was a hard decision but one I can live with.

Sylenth1 - Trying to sell a Sylenth1 sound library with as many as are out there, including tons of free ones, is pointless. End of story.

wagtunes wrote: Sylenth1 - Trying to sell a Sylenth1 sound library with as many as are out there, including tons of free ones, is pointless. End of story.
Not necessarily. In fact, it rather seems like people are especially interested in creating soundsets for such a popular synth, hence there are so many soundsets. I would say, from a business point of view, it rather makes no sense to make soundsets for synths which are vastly abandoned by sound designers (which always tells a story about the popularity of the synth itself).

chk071 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Sylenth1 - Trying to sell a Sylenth1 sound library with as many as are out there, including tons of free ones, is pointless. End of story.
Not necessarily. In fact, it rather seems like people are especially interested in creating soundsets for such a popular synth, hence there are so many soundsets. I would say, from a business point of view, it rather makes no sense to make soundsets for synths which are vastly abandoned by sound designers (which always tells a story about the popularity of the synth itself).
Of course there are always two ways to look at things. Conversely, synths with very few libraries can sell very well. Look at Softube Modular. How many libraries do you think are out there? As a result, it's my 4th best selling synth, which really surprised me as it's modular. Modular synths are usually niche products.

Point is, there are two sides to every coin. Sure, I could sell a gazillion Sylenth1 libraries because of its popularity. Or people could hear my demo, hear the same sounds that they've already got, and go "Eh, I don't need another 150 blah, blah, blah" and as a result the library hardly sells at all.

I have made libraries for popular synths that didn't sell well at all. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. Massive is a perfect example. Out of 41 libraries, it's 32nd in sales. I honestly don't expect a Sylenth1 library to do much better, though I could be wrong. It's always a gamble unless it's a U-he synth.

Zebra 2 - 5th in sales
Bazille - 7th in sales (this one surprised me)
Diva - 11th in sales
Ace - 19th in sales
Repro-1 22nd in sales

I expect Hive to be in the mix somewhere. It's U-he. It's a no brainer. Don't know why it is. It just is. Big workstation like synths are sure things too.

Omnisphere - 3rd in sales
Omnisphere 2 - 9th in sales
Falcon - 2nd in sales
Avenger - 10th in sales

I'm sure HALion 6 will sell through the roof. But like Falcon, will take me about 3 months to finish the library.

To me, Sylenth1 is a gamble. And I'm not even in love with the synth to begin with. I have so many other synths that are similar that I like better. So all around, I have very little incentive to get it. Ultimately, I probably won't unless another big sale comes along. Then I might consider it.

Numanoid wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Is it any wonder why I hate some of the people here?
Man, seriously, take a break

You are going at this thread like it was the end of the world.

:roll:
Hey its only synth opinions...
We all have them.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Soundware discussion time
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

wagtunes wrote:I'll just respond to a couple of things.

MTG - Yes, Magic The Gathering. Been playing since 1994. And yes, people will pay tons of money for some of these cards. It has a huge cult following. I'm selling my cards because around here the game is dying and I don't get to play anymore and I also can use the money. It was a hard decision but one I can live with.

Sylenth1 - Trying to sell a Sylenth1 sound library with as many as are out there, including tons of free ones, is pointless. End of story.
Taking this conversation way off topic for a brief anecdote, I just recently learned that one of my coworkers is one of the original artists from the MTG cards! :o
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

kevvvvv wrote:Soundware discussion time
Kev, I think this thread has pretty much run its course. I've purchased Lush-101 and Hive. Will be getting Phonec 2 and have a ton of stuff on my list to test out. With the MTG sales, I have the funds to get whatever I need and I think it's all been pretty much covered.

So, IMO, maybe it's best I just let this thread fade into the sunset.

Don't want to stir up the hornets nest again. lol.

A personal thanks for all your help. You've given me a lot to think about for future projects and I appreciate it more than you can imagine.

Actually, this thread made me visit the Soundware forum. I then went on listening to some top sound designers work. Wow! Really I don't know how they come with such ideas! Maybe it's a good idea to merge the 'how to ... sound design' with the Soundware forum? It would be great resource for learning for those who like to make their own.

Sorry off topic, I really don't have any suggestion for any synth. Everything has been mentioned except Reason maybe!

EnGee wrote:
Actually, this thread made me visit the Soundware forum. I then went on listening to some top sound designers work. Wow! Really I don't know how they come with such ideas! Maybe it's a good idea to merge the 'how to ... sound design' with the Soundware forum? It would be great resource for learning for those who like to make their own.

Sorry off topic, I really don't have any suggestion for any synth. Everything has been mentioned except Reason maybe!
I would love to get Thor but I have no idea how to integrate that with Cubase when doing songs.

Return to “Instruments”