Multiband limiter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Limiter6 is Multiband, free, and for me the best, especially with the alternative skin.

I recently purchased the McDSP ML8000 and finding a lot of uses for it, especially on buses. This multi-band limiter has a lot of flexibility and is definitely a keeper. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase.

Just an FYI, the McDSP ML8000 is on sale this month, if you are interested in trying the demo and making a purchase.

I also have the IK Multimedia Classic T-RackS Multi-band Limiter and Quad Lim, but have not used them much in recent years.

I also have the iZotope Ozone 7 Advanced that has the Dynamics embedded module and stand-alone VST, which can be setup as a multi-band limiter and/or compressor. Although I use the stand-alone VST often, I primarily use it for single-band dynamic control.

Furthermore, as previous stated, many multi-band compressors can function as a limiter via high ratio values and fast attack times. The Metric Halo Multiband Dynamics and Wave Arts MultiDynamics can perform limiting, as well as other, tasks well.

Edit: Added links and further information.

+1 for ML8000, great limiter imho.

do_androids_dream wrote:Waves L3. It gets negative attention quite a lot but I really believe this is from people who really don't know how to use it. Extremely useful for redistributing energy when it is required.
Yeah I'm beginning to think you're right there.

Saw the L3 Multi on sale a few days back, but it must have been one of those 24 hours sales since I can't seem to find it now. However, the L3-16 is currently on sale too.

I already have it, but haven't used it much. Should play with it some more i think. Although I did notice in the manual that it's pretty intensive and adds a bit of latency so isnt recommended for general mix duties.

However, it has been around for a few years now and given the modern power of computers and the flexibility of DAWs, I'm tempted to see if that is still relevant.

What exactly is the difference between using a multi-band limiter compared to using multi-band compressor then a single-band limiter?
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:What exactly is the difference between using a multi-band limiter compared to using multi-band compressor then a single-band limiter?

A limiter is effectively a compressor with a very fast attack time and high ratio. Most multiband compressors also allow very fast attack times and high ratios so you can set them to act like limiters.

Then there are intersample peak (ISP) limiters which are a different breed of limiter again, but not relevant to the question at this point.

So since multibands enable to effectively limit each band independently this can be used advantageously over limiters that limit everything at once.

Multibands anable you to target specific bands of frequencies slowing you to limit and manage the level independently of the rest of the mix. So if your lows are too loud, as an example then you can manage their level without it effecting anything else and introduce pumping side effects.

But there are plenty of other applications

Return to “Effects”