Ableton Live won't launch

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am having a problem with launching Ableton Live 9.7 Lite, and I am hoping I can find someone on the the forums that has encountered something similar.

I just did a fresh install of a Windows 7 on my hardware that Ableton Live ran on before. All I did was download the basics drivers for my audio interface, graphics card, and network card.

Then I went to install Ableon Live 9.7 Lite.

When I go to launch it, I get nothing, The cursor gives the "hourglass" graphic for a few seconds, and then it disappears, and nothing happens. Not even the splash screen shows up. Other than shots in the dark, I have no clue where to start here.

I am baffled at this totally silent failure :S

That may be a plugin causing a shut down. When live starts it searchs for plugins. You may have to move your vst folder to another drive and restart.

Another thing you may have to reactivate live with those changes and even if its the same OS the computer name may have changed and counts as a hardware change.

Hopefully you can atleast get it started.

I thought about the plugin thing as well. I believe I did move my plugins, and deleted any default VTS folder. So it is not loading any plugins. I don't think it is even getting close to that point. I am not even seeing a splash screen...

Thanks for your response

Ap0C552 wrote:I am having a problem with launching Ableton Live 9.7 Lite, and I am hoping I can find someone on the the forums that has encountered something similar.

I just did a fresh install of a Windows 7 on my hardware that Ableton Live ran on before. All I did was download the basics drivers for my audio interface, graphics card, and network card.

When I go to launch it, I get nothing, The cursor gives the "hourglass" graphic for a few seconds, and then it disappears, and nothing happens. Not even the splash screen shows up. Other than shots in the dark, I have no clue where to start here.

You need chipset drivers, and any other hardware drivers for internal devices. Besides that, a lot of programs require a version of .NET framework that isn't included in the default Windows Update. It's optional and has to be checked.

You need to round up all drivers and start again.

telecharge wrote:You can try a Live reset.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... reset-Live
Thanks for that link, i had problems in the past with templates that referenced bad vst locations so I'm go to bookmark that one. :tu:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was thinking about the .net thing, but usually the installation checks for these sort of dependencies.

I am hesitant to update any chipset firmware, that is scary stuff. Also my ableton was running last month on this hardware.

bustedfist wrote:
Ap0C552 wrote:I am having a problem with launching Ableton Live 9.7 Lite, and I am hoping I can find someone on the the forums that has encountered something similar.

You need chipset drivers, and any other hardware drivers for internal devices. Besides that, a lot of programs require a version of .NET framework that isn't included in the default Windows Update. It's optional and has to be checked.

You need to round up all drivers and start again.
Yeah i had to install NET framework 4 after live 9.3 in order to get it to work myself.

Good advice there.

Not chipset firmware, driver. Can't go by error windows or such until you sort the install.

Google "Windows driver install order" to get an idea what I'm saying you're missing.

FYi I definitely don't have any .net frameworks installed, I looked for that explicitly, but I assumed the installer would install these dependancies.... Maybe that was to presumptuous.

Double post. :evil:
Last edited by bustedfist on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ap0C552 wrote:FYi I definitely don't have any .net frameworks installed, I looked for that explicitly, but I assumed the installer would install these dependancies.... Maybe that was to presumptuous.
Open Windows Update and look on the recommended page, not the crucial one. The .NETs should show there. Check what you need and run the updater.

telecharge wrote:You can try a Live reset.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... reset-Live
Yeah I was gonna suggest that and also a possible database corruption fixed by - https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... I-O-error-

The fact that your version of Ableton *did* work in the past and not now, definitely suggests something wrong with the application itself rather than worrying about drivers, firmware updates, .net installation etc. etc.

EDIT: Apologies misread your initial post - So it was originally working and then totally reinstalled the OS and Ableton has yet to ever run on your current OS install ? Could be drivers in that case, as regards .net I definitely thought that'd get installed automatically if it's needed or they'd have quite the headache with people wondering why their software the paid for doesn't work and they magically had to guess a dependency ! (try the database and reset just in case though, maybe just a complete uninstall and reinstall of Ableton ?)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”