Surprisingly high CPU load with NI Replika XT

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Then I guess the question might be why would someone program something for audio that pulls CPU load up because GPU not using some kind of acceleration? Its knobs dots and dashes and numbers on interface, it isnt moving. If the knobs were moving in automation my eyes cant keep up anyway.

It's not just the GPU. I did a little test yesterday, and as promised in the manual, extra delaylines created for stereo width, groove etc will eventually create an extra load.
I went from a simple delay to adding stereo width, groove and accents, on both A and B delays. Oh and changing the model and adding fx. CPU went up over 4 times what I had when I started with the simple patch.

So yeah, it can be brutal, but in my experience it's not so bad with most common delay settings.

Well in knowing that they are not the only Delay plugin and likely developer using openGL and the GPU I have ordered a faster GPU card for my system. Found mine was at 256MB (which is slowest video card I have had in some time in my HPxs6600 workstation.) I will be getting one that is 2GB of RAM on video card and this may also be the reason I am having slow mouse movements at times using these plugins. Many plugins dont affect this but some do and likely more than I know. I will see if mouse gets better with newer card.

My Mac uses an ATI graphics card. AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB graphics to be exact. I wonder if that has something to do with it. OpenGL is one thing, but if they are relying on CUDA instead of OpenCL, then perhaps this plugin will work significantly better on NVIDIA graphics cards.

Apart from Echoboy (by Soundtoys), do you guys suggest any other good alternative? Most times, all I'm looking for are the following features:

* Mono, Stereo, Ping Pong Delay
* Low Cut / High Cut filters (ideally 6db/oct)
* Modulation

That's the most common use case.

Once in awhile, I would want positive feedback which saturates (for effects), in which case I could just use Replika XT.

I found MFM2 to be excellent and very low CPU, but due to one bug which can cause it to crash, I have currently stopped using it (u-he friends are aware of the issue and can reproduce it). Back in the day (PC 32-bit), I used to use Bionic Delay (which was AWESOME), but obviously being SynthEdit, there's currently no Mac nor 64-bit version of that.

I can load up my laptop with large numbers of Fabfilter Timeless2 with very little CPU hit.

Apart from Echoboy (by Soundtoys), do you guys suggest any other good alternative? Most times, all I'm looking for are the following features:

* Modulation
Spaceship Delay ? :D

Ivan_C wrote:

* Modulation
Spaceship Delay ? :D
All these 3 are very different but good ones and worth to check, economic for the CPU:
- UVI Relayer
- Metric Halo Dirty Delay
- Waves H-Delay

Thanks guys, will check them out :)

Thanks guys, will check them out :)

Never used more than a handful of instances of Replika XT, so i never ran into trouble... CPU usage is testament to the sound i guess, best sounding delay i ever heard. NI simply know how it's done.

chk071 wrote:Never used more than a handful of instances of Replika XT, so i never ran into trouble... CPU usage is testament to the sound i guess, best sounding delay i ever heard. NI simply know how it's done.
I tend to agree, and it is also designed very nicely (very usable). I own EchoBoy too, but really dislike its design, although it also sounds excellent.

fgimian wrote: do you guys suggest any other good alternative? ..
You could check out Hy-delay2.
http://hyakken.moo.jp/WordPress/product/hy-delay2/

Timeless has a lot of modulation but it doesn't have all the modes (tape/analog/diffusion) or th effects (pitch/frequency shifting).

Honestly I have never run into the problem even using multiple instances.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Timeless has a lot of modulation but it doesn't have all the modes (tape/analog/diffusion) or th effects (pitch/frequency shifting).

Honestly I have never run into the problem even using multiple instances.
Yeah, but sounds rather mechanical - fits to some purposes but far from analogish.

Got the new Nvidia gt730 card w 2gb ram and cpu now spikes at 16 on worst patch and was 40%. So the video card did make diff on replikaxt

Return to “Effects”