Can you recommend a music forum?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a forum where there is lots of active discussion on practicing and making music. The music theory section of the forum here is nice enough, but KVR is centered around gear and production. Can any of you recommend other music related forums where the majority of discussion revolves around things like music theory, songwriting, composition, and performance?

Try reddit - musictheory. But most of the discussions are - what's this chord progressions and similar. I doubt that you will find any "serious" forum. Better grab a theory book - there are hundreds out of copyright for free - check archive.org - and start playing, writing music, not reading forums.

anomandaris1 and HiEnergy, I'll take a look at those. Thanks. HiEnergy, what has your personal experience been like at composersforum?

@anomandaris1, I'm not looking to learn music theory from a forum. I find that it's helpful when learning anything to have something of a social environment for picking up different points of view, experiences, topics and discussion of interest, and some place to ask and answer questions along the way. The music theory section of KVR just isn't that active, which is understandable, being that KVR is centered around gear and production. I'm also considering blogging. I find it is helpful to write about what is being learned.

I rarely (if ever) post at that forum, just listed it for sake of completeness.
The users are very helpful and constructive as far as I can remember. Just give it a try...

Try here.
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

lotsa great discussions here regarding music theory, form etc... http://www.talkclassical.com/

Thanks Hooj and JumpingJackFlash. I have looked at some of the forums mentioned here. Some of them seem to not be very active. It seems like there is quite a bit of activity at Reddit, and I'm really just looking for some place that is active, where there is lots of questions and discussion taking place. I just find it helpful to have some place where there is discussion going on when learning some topic of interest.

Although this is not an answer to your question because I don't think such a site exist, it might be the (wishful) solution.

Somebody with the means and drive should create a site that will be hopefully known for live forums of any topic. It could be named something like YouAsk. It would have all sorts of subsections, like cooking, gardening, psychology, etc. The problem seems to be that although there are already singular (if that is the right word) forums like those, they are scattered and if they are all in one place then presumably there's more chance of it being very well known, and it will always be busy (presumably). You get bored of the gardening forum? No problem, go to the songwriting forum, etc. It would be like a real-time global think tank site. Ask questions, get answers, in real-time or at least soon. Bad idea?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

harryupbabble wrote:Although this is not an answer to your question because I don't think such a site exist, it might be the (wishful) solution.

Somebody with the means and drive should create a site that will be hopefully known for live forums of any topic. It could be named something like YouAsk. It would have all sorts of subsections, like cooking, gardening, psychology, etc. The problem seems to be that although there are already singular (if that is the right word) forums like those, they are scattered and if they are all in one place then presumably there's more chance of it being very well known, and it will always be busy (presumably). You get bored of the gardening forum? No problem, go to the songwriting forum, etc. It would be like a real-time global think tank site. Ask questions, get answers, in real-time or at least soon. Bad idea?
Such sites, such as reddit, do exist, and there are benefits and unique problems to both specialized forums such as kvr and generalized discussion sites such as reddit. If you visit a subreddit on audio production software tools, you won't find the same quality of discussion which takes place at kvr. Also, larger forums having much larger audiences are ripe targets for interested parties to manipulate, such as pushing corporate interests or political viewpoints to a great number of people.

In my case of looking for a music theory forum that is active, the above concerns don't come into play so much at reddit. But if I have a good experience with the music theory sub and therefore assume that other subs will be equally useful, I could be subjected to the types of manipulation which take place at, for example, political subs.

And I only mentioned a couple of factors. There are lots of aspects that can come into play, such as the benefits of a smaller online community where people get to know each other more than at a bigger site.

My general view on technology matters is to diversify so as not to grow too dependent upon one company or organization. And if you are starting to feel like you're being boxed in, get out before you are.
Last edited by sellyoursoul on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

If you sell your soul I will link you to one. Jk dont do that seriously visit jesus christ and like dab some holy water

I've been asking myself the same thing since as you say, KVR is very focused on gear talk. I've noticed recently that Ive gotten like 1000% more inspiration out of just having a deadmau5 music making livestream (or something like sadowick on youtube) on a screen while I make music, just something to make you feel like you're not alone, and something to look up to even if it's not the same musical genre etc. Ideally I would like to replicate the thing I had in my youth with a friend, where we both developed together and kind of set the benchmark for the other one to beat, and so forth.

sellyoursoul wrote:what has your personal experience been like at composersforum?
I used to hang out there a couple of years ago. Too many people just wanting to show off their movie soundtrack music. Very little substantial discussion.

But try it. At the time there were a couple of people posting interesting stuff and willing to discuss actual theory and such.

Victor.

Interesting online forum on Classical Music
http://www.talkclassical.com/index.php

Return to “Music Theory”