Where would European home computing be without Clive Sinclair?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sinclair and later Alan Sugar supplied the rest of Europe with affordable home computers during the 80's

Can't think of other countries in Europe than UK that had such an impact on the industry during that time, exporting to France, Spain and other European countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spxAQkTzvDQ

Numanoid wrote:Sinclair and later Alan Sugar supplied the rest of Europe with affordable home computers during the 80's
The competition was fierce though: MSX from Japan and Holland (produced by Philips), Commodore (VIC, 64, 128) Apple ][ and Tandy (TRS-80) from the US... And Atari was popular as well!
Numanoid wrote:Can't think of other countries in Europe than UK that had such an impact on the industry during that time, exporting to France, Spain and other European countries.
If you were Italian, you'd probably honoured Olivetti:
wikipedia - History of computing hardware wrote:In April 1975 at the Hannover Fair, Olivetti presented the P6060, the world's first complete, pre-assembled personal computer system. The central processing unit consisted of two cards, code named PUCE1 and PUCE2, and unlike most other personal computers was built with TTL components rather than a microprocessor. It had one or two 8" floppy disk drives, a 32-character plasma display, 80-column graphical thermal printer, 48 Kbytes of RAM, and BASIC language. It weighed 40 kg (88 lb). As a complete system, this was a significant step from the Altair, though it never achieved the same success. It was in competition with a similar product by IBM that had an external floppy disk drive.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Don't forget Acorn, with the BBC Micro, Electron and Archimedes.

I wonder where ARM are today, surely they peaked in the 80s :hihi: .

I did my A-Level Computing (Cryptography) project on an Archimedes. Nice to see that a Rasberry Pi can not only run RISC OS, but my project and smoke the Archimedes.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

:nutter:

khanyz wrote:Don't forget Acorn, with the BBC Micro, Electron and Archimedes.
They were big in UK, but not sure how much those models were exported to other countries.

For example, compared to Amstrad which exported a lot of machines to France.

^ Yeah, they were pretty much in schools only. I'm guessing that's why ARM moved to licensing tech rather than building it.

The influence of that has been gigantic globally.
Last edited by khanyz on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

BertKoor wrote:If you were Italian, you'd probably honoured Olivetti
But weren't those machines priced over the heads of most home users?

An important thing about Sinclair was their low price, the ZX81 didn't cost more than £70 for the base version.

In Norway we had Norsk Data in the 80's but they were more like IBM producing big systems, sucessful during the early 80's, but went belly up by the late 80's as they couldn't forsee the home computer explosion

BertKoor wrote:The competition was fierce though: MSX from Japan and Holland (produced by Philips), Commodore (VIC, 64, 128) Apple ][ and Tandy (TRS-80) from the US... And Atari was popular as well!
I grew up with ZX Spectrum 48. C64, Atari, MSX... these were no competition, as they were nearly twice as expensive. At the time we could barely afford ZX, so I don't know where I would be.

Don't forget Nokia Mikromikko from Finland :) I guess nobody knows that. And of course we have Linux from Finland also..

And not forgetting the Australian Microbee which I used in Year 11 computing studies in 1983, as did a lot of NSW teenagers.

Andreas71 wrote:Don't forget Nokia Mikromikko from Finland :)
Interesting.

Looking at the specs, is that like an IBM PC clone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MikroMikko

Numanoid wrote:
Andreas71 wrote:Don't forget Nokia Mikromikko from Finland :)
Interesting.

Looking at the specs, is that like an IBM PC clone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MikroMikko
Yes, it is. In school long time ago we had to deal with those :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”