PrettyScope (paint with sound), released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PrettyScope

Architeuthis wrote:I'm willing to consider adding such features. I never cared for grids and numbers on an oscilloscope so I can't imagine what someone such as yourself would want in terms of that. What kind of precise readings are you trying to get? Write down your feature request here. I'm sure there will be plenty of feature requests, I'll start a list in the beta forum once beta officially starts (Beta form will be here at KVR: viewforum.php?f=238)
I am the opposite. I have an engineering background, so an oscilloscope is primarily a measurement instrument for me. Making pretty images is fun, but secondary. :ud:

At the very least being able to read out amplitude and time from the mouse position, maybe click to get a cross hair. Cursors would be really nice and any built in measurements (Vrms, Vpp, frequency etc.) would be great.

Have a poke around any modern oscilloscope manual for an idea of the kinds of basic things an oscilloscope does these days. A couple companies that make professional grade scopes for reference:

www.tek.com
www.keysight.com

No possibility of a 32-bit Windows version? :(

zxant wrote: 
I didn't think anyone cared. Lol. Yes 32-bit should be fine.

Just brainstorming:
-Grid for peak and time/frequency
-RMS,PP,frequency digital counter
-Selection window for RMS, PP, frequncy
-Controls for grid spacing, grid thickness, grid color, draw grid on top or below
-Meters... we're going to need user-customizeable interface options (show/hide certain things, pop-out windows, etc.)

I'll see what we can implement in terms of basic features just to get you by, no promises. This OpenGL stuff is challenging to work with, and I don't know what is required to add in additional visual layers like a grid, text, etc. For more advanced features I'll have to wait for v2 when I can begin to think about having arbitrary number of inputs.

But that begs the question... how helpful is a software oscilloscope for measuring? Your audio sample rate is severely limited compared to the millions of samples per second you get on a hardware oscilloscope. Anything you measure would be more easily measured just with standard DAW features. If you're looking at synthesizer waveforms you probably already know the frequency/amplitude or have another plugin that can show you that info.

The usefulness of an oscilloscope for me has all to do with waveshape. I will be using PrettyScope to look at waveforms coming out of my work-in-progress tonal chaos generator. By looking at waveforms I gain an understanding of why something might sound good or bad and then I can make an informed decision about how to improve the result. The chaos generator being essentially a 2D or 3D sound generator, I can also gain an understanding of the interaction behind the components using the X-Y mode of the oscilloscope.

Dozius wrote:I have an engineering background, so an oscilloscope is primarily a measurement instrument for me. Making pretty images is fun, but secondary. :ud:
course, this is pretty scope, i'd say aesthetic application is the developer's intended focus, and i think he's done well towards refining the function towards this goal, which i expect many people will have an appreciation for :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:i'd say aesthetic application is the developer's intended focus
Yeah, but if I can make it more useful by throwing in a few features I'll definitely do it. I would love for PrettyScope to be the end-all software oscilloscopes. Just a matter of development vs profit. If PrettyScope has a large following, I'll keep adding features till the cows... uhh... hmm.. how does that one go. :hihi:

I agree, the pretty factor is more than good enough and has its own inherent purposes. If he adds a lot of useful features, that too would be nice to have and discover in time :hihi:

A crazy thought just occured to me, is there any possibility of using such an application in fl studio zplane software? I could just stream a video and import the video inside zplane, but to have it embedded would be amazing. Also, such an application could also be useful outside of the vst realm, think adobe after effects, premier etc :wink:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:could also be useful outside of the vst realm
Yes, I was also thinking about this. There will be plenty of time in the coming months to possibly port the code to other "systems". It would be super-helpful if someone knew a thing or two about the system they are interested in and could link me to the required API or whatever

Oh, beta is going out today! (PC version only though, sorry) Just adding last-minute features before I send it out.

Can't wait, that is if I'm still on the beta :hyper:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Architeuthis wrote:I'll keep adding features till the cows... uhh... hmm.. how does that one go. :hihi:
'Til the cows band together and rise up against their oppressors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI

on topic: Looking forward to checking this out!

Architeuthis wrote:
zxant wrote: 
I didn't think anyone cared. Lol. Yes 32-bit should be fine.
E-mail sent :)

Got it. This thing is really amazing! it tookabout 15-20 minutes getting the hand of things to uncover some of the pretty things :D This is just my first experiment. Next one will have more appealing audio :hihi:

http://imgur.com/a/09dsW

http://imgur.com/YIw5Pcq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6cAa- ... e=youtu.be

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe, looks cool! What's up with the framerate though? Or is the sound source just choppy like that?

Oooh, just got a another contest idea where everyone uses the same sound source... the sound source could be some long oscilloscope music creation or it could even be just a drone/noise. HMMM....

What I'm excited to try out is using Electricanvas https://ompuco.itch.io/electricanvas to turn a simple drawing into a waveform and see if the image reappears in PrettyScope. I haven't received a beta copy so I'm wondering if someone else can demonstrate the conversion.

pilotredsun wrote:What I'm excited to try out is using Electricanvas https://ompuco.itch.io/electricanvas to turn a simple drawing into a waveform and see if the image reappears in PrettyScope. I haven't received a beta copy so I'm wondering if someone else can demonstrate the conversion.
Did you apply for beta?

Return to “Instruments”