AudioThing Outer Space - Tape Echo - NEW v2.0

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Outer Space

Just a quick comment on this plug in ... bought it yesterday. I owned four Space and Chorus Echos and sold them for workflow reasons and no time for taking care of them. "Outer Space" is the best emulation I've heard so far, better than the UAD one, which I also have. The later sounds not as smooth, the reverb part of it may sound somewhat brighter. "Outer Space" reproduces the most of the fullness of the original RE-201s (I had two of them alone) but all RE-201s sound somewhat different - so I won't say the modeeling isn't fully 'correct'. There is probably something that can be improved with the repeat rate change ... I have to listen more. Generally the "Outer Space" plug in sounds somewhat cleaner than the RE-201 I had, but can be dirty enough for being a substitute in many cases. I really like the sound of it. Before I was a bit sceptical about the sound characteristic AudioThing Plug Ins have - for me a bit to stiff-glassy - just a subtle, personal thing. But "Outer Space" sounds classy. Very well done - thank you.
Last edited by dreamvoid on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

audiothing wrote:
chis wrote:Just bought this. It sounds very good. But I don't seem to be able to get the wet only function to work, and therefore cannot use it as a send effect. Flicking the Wet Only function between off and on seems to make no difference.
Hmm, it works here. Maybe, if the delay time is too short you might not hear a huge difference. Try the Reverb Only mode and check if it works there, or try one of the Mode with Head 3 and use a high Repeat Rate value.
I could swear I was hearing some of the original signal no matter what, though very quiet. This was set up on an aux in Ableton Live 9.7.1. I'll try your suggestions!
-- Blake Casimir : Check out my recently updated Bandcamp for melodic space techno!
http://blakecasimir.bandcamp.com
http://www.blakecasimir.co.uk

chis wrote: I could swear I was hearing some of the original signal no matter what, though very quiet.
There is indeed a very faint bleedthrough here also.
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

here's an issue i came across (still working on how to reproduce it):

fed the plugin (as send) some chords for a while, turned some knobs, stopped playback.
now, somehow there is leftover audio in the buffer.
so when i press play again (now with nothing sending to the plugin) i can hear the sound i fed into it before.
pressing the on/off button or changing the oversampling rate will also retrigger the buffered sound.
only happens with the delay in chain.

after a couple of minutes idle time, buffers are empty again.

dreamvoid wrote:Just a quick comment on this plug in ... bought it yesterday. I owned four Space and Chorus Echos and sold them for workflow reasons and no time for taking care of them. "Outer Space" is the best emulation I've heard so far, better than the UAD one, which I also have. The later sounds not as smooth, the reverb part of it may sounds somewhat brighter. "Outer Space" reproduces the most of the fullness of the original RE-201s (I had two of them alone) but all RE-201s sound somewhat different - so I won't say the modeeling isn't fully 'correct'. There is probably something than can be improved with the repeat rate change ... I have to listen more. Generally the "Outer Space" plug in sounds somewhat cleaner than the RE-201 I had, but can be dirty enough for being a substitute in many cases. I really like the sound of it. Before I was a bit sceptical about the sound characteristic AudioThing Plug Ins have - for me a bit to stiff-glassy - just a subtle, personal thing. But "Outer Space" sounds classy. Very well done - thank you.
Thank you very much for the feedback. It's nice to hear from actual users of the real thing, and yes, as said before, each RE-201 is different. I was probably lucky to get one which is quite clean. There's definitely room for improvement, and I hope to do so by adding the "rear" panel with additional features.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

chis wrote:I could swear I was hearing some of the original signal no matter what, though very quiet. This was set up on an aux in Ableton Live 9.7.1. I'll try your suggestions!
vic_france wrote:There is indeed a very faint bleedthrough here also.
I see, it's probably the reverb and not the echo section. It's very faint indeed, but more noticeable with higher reverb volume, unless there's something else I'm missing?

phdsg vn chfhn wrote:here's an issue i came across (still working on how to reproduce it):

fed the plugin (as send) some chords for a while, turned some knobs, stopped playback.
now, somehow there is leftover audio in the buffer.
so when i press play again (now with nothing sending to the plugin) i can hear the sound i fed into it before.
pressing the on/off button or changing the oversampling rate will also retrigger the buffered sound.
only happens with the delay in chain.

after a couple of minutes idle time, buffers are empty again.
Yep, this is related to another bug we introduced in the latest update. Will be fixed soon. What DAW are you using? Looks like Logic and Live are not affected by that, but it's happening more often with Reaper.

yep, reaper indeed :) haven't tried others so far.

phdsg vn chfhn wrote:yep, reaper indeed :) haven't tried others so far.
Ok no problem :) I already have a fix, but I'll try to implement all other fixes/requests for the next update. Should take 1-2 days.

Hi !

I have a similar (maybe identical) bug : each time I activate the plugin after bypassing it (with the plugin Bypass button or the host bypass), some sound from a precedent playing is heared.

The host is Live Professor (yes, I wanna use Outer Space on stage :D )

xabilon wrote:Hi !

I have a similar (maybe identical) bug : each time I activate the plugin after bypassing it (with the plugin Bypass button or the host bypass), some sound from a precedent playing is heared.

The host is Live Professor (yes, I wanna use Outer Space on stage :D )
I'm testing the new update to make sure all major hosts are covered. It seems to be fixed here, but some hosts are more difficult to test properly. I'll update the thread ASAP.

for AUDio demoes u should really upload to youtube a Reggae/Dub song

acoustic drum syncopated no snare just rim

rim with slapback and alot of spring

Synth pew-pew then u modulated the delay timing and regen going into scary its-getting-louder/Oscillation territory

a meldica(blown plastic keyboard) with alot of spring

Guitars are kinda Meh when demoing a Vintage delay emulation
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

realmarco wrote:for AUDio demoes u should really upload to youtube a Reggae/Dub song

acoustic drum syncopated no snare just rim

rim with slapback and alot of spring

Synth pew-pew then u modulated the delay timing and regen going into scary its-getting-louder/Oscillation territory

a meldica(blown plastic keyboard) with alot of spring

Guitars are kinda Meh when demoing a Vintage delay emulation
Ah yes, we are working on more audio/video demos. Thanks for the suggestion.
Anyway, I know many guitarists who used (or wanted to use) different kinds of tape echos (both vintage and modern digital emulations). Most of them prefer Binson Echorecs though.

Also, the new update should be ready soon, today/tomorrow.

Update 1.0.3

- Added: Reverb DSP switches off when Reverb Volume is set to 0 (to save CPU)
- Fixed: Offline Rendering bug on some hosts
- Fixed: Feedback loop not clearing properly on some hosts
- Fixed: Dry leaking into Reverb section
- Fixed: GUI keyboard focus error (especially the Return key)

You can update by downloading the demo versions from the product page or as usual in the user area: https://www.audiothing.net/account/

Do you not email licence holders about updates?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”