5" Studio Monitors

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aiynzahev wrote:EnGee

I have personally found bass much more focused and deeper when I put my speakers on Primacoustics pads rather than straight on the desk or even straight on speaker stands. This has been the case with every speaker I've had. Might be worth a try if you get a chance.
+1 for this. You want your speaker to generate the sound and not the furniture or stands on which the speakers are placed on. Removing vibrations can have a surprisingly big impact on the sound.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I have personally found bass much more focused and deeper when I put my speakers on Primacoustics pads rather than straight on the desk or even straight on speaker stands. This has been the case with every speaker I've had. Might be worth a try if you get a chance.
Thank you AZ :) I'll check that once I'm at the shops to see what they have :tu:

ATN69 wrote:

+1 for this. You want your speaker to generate the sound and not the furniture or stands on which the speakers are placed on. Removing vibrations can have a surprisingly big impact on the sound.
There are no vibrations as the volume is not that high, but it's a good idea to put those pads anyway (might also put some bass traps).

Wow, Thank You guys so much for the responses, I wasn't expecting anyone to read through my lengthy post, let along respond so detailed to it.
There is a lot of great information here, I can't say I am 100% confident in what my decision will be just yet, but so much great stuff here to consider. I feel a lot of people will benefit from all these responses.

A couple of responses mention "front bass ports", a very popular monitor brand I was considering offers them, but I read in quite a few places that front bass ports can give you an inaccurate sense of bass response when bass is ported to the front. Not sure if they meant with those specific monitors or front bass ports in general? if anyone has any opinions / experiences on this that they would like to share please let me know.
Tough decision because, just due to the nature of my room, my monitors are probably going to have to be pretty close to the wall, hopefully monitors such as the JBL LSR305 that I mentioned, which have its bass port in the rear of the speakers won't cause too much of an issue.

Thanks Again

@wickfut
Also "average listener" ? Do you get magic hearing powers when you buy your first compressor or something?
By "average listener" I meant it more like people who just listen to music strictly for entertainment and don't obsess over the unnoticeable things that all of us do :)
Has nothing to do with buying your first compressor or even an EQ for that matter, every comic book reader knows that the fastest way to obtain magical hearing powers is to be bitten by a radioactive dog.

@Topeznor
@EnGee
If you mean the HS7, they are 6.5" monitors not 7" ;)
Nothing to worry about Topeznor, just a minor exaggeration, no one will notice.

What is worse is when I tell up and coming artists to come to my studio because I have 10" NS10's to mix their music with and they come to my bedroom and see that I only have 3" computer speakers.
I actually tell the ladies a very similar story to get them into my bedroom....
Sadly, the recording artists as well as the ladies both end up leaving my bedroom equally disappointed :(

Most monitor design minutiae will probably be lost in a small, untreated room, anyway. So, I would say, pick something and move on. :tu:

I'm also looking for a pair of smaller monitors, LSR305 being one of the candidates, but didn't hear them yet.

Now, sorry for the off-topic, but anyone heard the 3" Genelec 8010A's? Any pros and cons soundwise?

asnor wrote:Most monitor design minutiae will probably be lost in a small, untreated room, anyway. So, I would say, pick something and move on. :tu:
That might be your perception from experience, but it's not mine. I've heard different speakers in small totally untreated rooms and it made a huge difference. Top end, mid-range detail, overall power output etc all varies and can be easily noticeable and make a big difference even in such a room.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

e@rs wrote:I'm also looking for a pair of smaller monitors, LSR305 being one of the candidates, but didn't hear them yet.

Now, sorry for the off-topic, but anyone heard the 3" Genelec 8010A's? Any pros and cons soundwise?
A long time ago, couldn't tell you about pro's and cons in every day use, but they sound so much better than you'd think for such a small monitor. They are small but legit, legit but small.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

EnGee wrote:
ATN69 wrote:

There are no vibrations as the volume is not that high, but it's a good idea to put those pads anyway (might also put some bass traps).
Agreed, a couple of bass traps will do a world of good, especially in a small room. Even the cheap foam wedges will help reduce reflections, they are quite effective if it's all you can afford.
Aiynzahev-sounds

@Aiynzahev
Thank You for recommending these pads, I have actually heard of this as well, apparently the furniture that your speakers are sitting on can greatly affect the performance of your monitors. I knew of this, but totally forgot about it, thank you again for mentioning this. Primacoustics however are a little out of my price range :) but I am sure others will do.

Aiynzahev wrote:
asnor wrote:Most monitor design minutiae will probably be lost in a small, untreated room, anyway. So, I would say, pick something and move on. :tu:
That might be your perception from experience, but it's not mine. I've heard different speakers in small totally untreated rooms and it made a huge difference. Top end, mid-range detail, overall power output etc all varies and can be easily noticeable and make a big difference even in such a room.
in an untreated room,especially a small room, you're hearing as much room as you are monitor, so yeah monitors will sound different, but it's still deceptive, because the room is adding a layer of crap, so it doesn't really matter. Treat your room, then get picky about monitors. jmo.

Not to say that this means anything, but anyone considering purchasing a set of 8" monitors for a small bedroom should do what I just did just for the heck of it. Find the dimensions of a set of 8" monitors and measure them out in your space.
Whoa the couple that I looked up are HUGE! If you tried to set them up in a simple desk space they would take up almost your whole desk. They seem so dominating for a small room setup.
Like I said, not to say that means anything, but just something buyers should be aware of.

Another thing Worth mentioning is that I often mix using quite low sound level. Despite that I use a pair of 8-inch monitors in a small room. Using low sound level will also help to reduce reflections. If you have the monitors closer to where you sit, as is the common case if you have a small room, you can reduce the level quite much and still hear the Music in detail. So it's not all about what you use but how you use it.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”