Structure 2 (vs Halion)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote:Come to that,none of the so called vst "samplers" are actually samplers are they?
Some of them are. Halion 6 actually samples, CWITEC TX16WX too.

I received the same email for the 70% off deal. I have Kontakt, Sampletank, and Xpand2. So I'm pretty set for sample playback software.

I don't need any more "real world instrument" samples so my question would be is there any content in Structure 2 that is along the line of more esoteric samples found in hardware like a Korg 03R/W, Roland JV880, Roland U220, or Alesis S4 Plus ? (I own those four units but rarely ever fire up my hardware these days). In other words samples that can be used to make other worldly sounds rather than just Piano, Strings etc ? :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think Structure 2 is pretty good, but I have never (believe it or not) used Kontakt, just the Kontakt Player. If you can get Structure at a big discount, I say go for it. Or just save up your $$ and buy Kontakt.

EDIT: Falcon is awesome, but doesn't have a bunch of content with it like Structure or Kontakt.

EvilDragon wrote:
dellboy wrote:Come to that,none of the so called vst "samplers" are actually samplers are they?
Some of them are. Halion 6 actually samples, CWITEC TX16WX too.
I forgot about those,no Halion 6 demo yet though.

It was the immediacy of the old hardware samples that was fun. Just press record and your sample was ready to play. Some early 80s adopters had big hits with those old grainy 12 bit and 16 bit samplers.

KTlin wrote:One more question: are there any (third party) expansions/libraries for Structure?
I have just mounted up my old Kontakt 2 library and it loaded those old nki instruments just fine (even converted files). I believe it can load Kontakt 3 instruments as well,but not version 4 or 5. I seem to remember it can load some other formats as well.

never mind, version confusion sorted out

KTlin wrote:One more question: are there any (third party) expansions/libraries for Structure?
East West did Goliath and a version of the EW Orchestra years ago.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

dellboy wrote:load up Kontakt grand piano and then Structure,the first thing you notice is the Kontakt piano is bathed in reverb. Whenever a sound is not presented dry (no fx) I start to wonder what they are trying to hide.
As a factual matter, I had to answer. Which piano? If the default load of the Steinway or the August Foerster has the convolution turned on and you want to hear it dry, TURN IT OFF. It's a simple switch FFS.

The Kontakt Factory Selection has particular convos which rather go with the instrument.

jancivil wrote: As a factual matter, I had to answer. Which piano? If the default load of the Steinway or the August Foerster has the convolution turned on and you want to hear it dry, TURN IT OFF. It's a simple switch FFS.

The Kontakt Factory Selection has particular convos which rather go with the instrument.
So I loaded up the August Foerster grotty piano and spent ten minutes under the hood trying to turn off the tin can effect. Then I got bored and loaded up Addictive Piano which sounds great out of the box.

Conclusion:

Some people like to drive a car,others like to fiddle under the bonnet with the engine.

dellboy wrote:
jancivil wrote: As a factual matter, I had to answer. Which piano? If the default load of the Steinway or the August Foerster has the convolution turned on and you want to hear it dry, TURN IT OFF. It's a simple switch FFS.

So I loaded up the August Foerster grotty piano and spent ten minutes under the hood trying to turn off the tin can effect. Then I got bored and loaded up Addictive Piano which sounds great out of the box.

Conclusion:

Some people like to drive a car,others like to fiddle under the bonnet with the engine.

It's the gold button labeled on/off in the right lower portion of the instrument in the "master FX" section.

That said, the August Foerster Grand has a dark tone that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, and, it's not that large or detailed of a library. I would say that the pianos in Structure, while different, are certainly comparable. In general, I would say that the Structure factory library is comparable to the Kontakt factory library. I'm not talking about all of the other stuff that comes with Komplete, just the basic factory library.

dellboy wrote:So I loaded up the August Foerster grotty piano and spent ten minutes under the hood trying to turn off the tin can effect. Then I got bored and loaded up Addictive Piano which sounds great out of the box.
10 minutes under the hood, when the reverb button is RIGHT THERE on the GUI when you open the instrument, and you turn it off in 2 seconds? Wow.

Conclusion: some people don't RTFM or even look at things properly when opening them. :clown:

EvilDragon wrote:
dellboy wrote:So I loaded up the August Foerster grotty piano and spent ten minutes under the hood trying to turn off the tin can effect. Then I got bored and loaded up Addictive Piano which sounds great out of the box.
10 minutes under the hood, when the Reverb button is RIGHT THERE on the GUI when you open the instrument, and you turn it off in 2 seconds? Wow.

Conclusion: some people don't RTFM or even look at things properly when opening them. :clown:
I think that we've all experienced that situation where something was right in front of our eyes but we didn't see it. I suspect that he went into editing the preset trying to turn it off without realizing that it was right on the front panel.

Exactly my point, though. Why bother checking out things that are immediately there when you open something up, when you can complicate your life further by digging deeper than you should, and then use it as a negative argument? :D

EvilDragon wrote:
dellboy wrote: 10 minutes under the hood, when the reverb button is RIGHT THERE on the GUI when you open the instrument, and you turn it off in 2 seconds? Wow.

It took me seconds to turn off that button.

Click on the spanner (as in car bonnets)

Click on InsertEffects.

Click on Conv.

Still has the tin can effect.

Try clicking on anything and everthing.

Give up

Conclusion:

Thats the way its meant to be.

Go back to Addictive Pianos.

ghettosynth wrote:situation where something was right in front of our eyes but we didn't see it. I suspect that he went into editing the preset trying to turn it off without realizing that it was right on the front panel.
Nope.

I saw that button in a split second.

You can fiddle all you like,but the convo fx is built into the sample.

I would like to be proved wrong though.

Return to “Instruments”