Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So i just got mine, it's pretty nice, but what's with the voice Allocation ? I think it's been discussed here before but i thought that problem was fixed, are other people having this issue ?

when i go up a scale for instance it will periodically sound like a mono synth in poly mode for like 4-5 notes run because the voice Allocation system is stealing the last note played instead of the first like a normal simple poly synth would, this, for me, renders the synth unplayable in many respects.

HELP !

i got latest version.

ps, someone made a clip that showcases the issue :

https://clyp.it/xvr5ymwz#

I am curious as well.

I just got one but not getting the exact same issue than you but I do think the allocation is different than let's say a MS2K (can anyone confirm?)

One thing I am suspecting is they deliberately chose this way to facilitate for the other voice modes (maybe I am wrong).

Anyhow, it seems that setting portamento to 0 can help in the case of mono mode but I am yet to confirm in poly if this changes anything.

yul wrote:One thing I am suspecting is they deliberately chose this way to facilitate for the other voice modes (maybe I am wrong).
They could make it optional... :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:
yul wrote:One thing I am suspecting is they deliberately chose this way to facilitate for the other voice modes (maybe I am wrong).
They could make it optional... :)

Sure wish they will!!!

But it's analogue so you can't just fix it with a firmware update, you have to put new/different circuitry in.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Not necessarily... many modern analog synths use micro controllers for all the control, modulation and voice allocation stuff. It looks like that is the case with most of Korg's recent analog synths. It may be possible to fix lots of things with a firmware update.

Soulgolem wrote:So i just got mine, it's pretty nice, but what's with the voice Allocation ? I think it's been discussed here before but i thought that problem was fixed, are other people having this issue ?

when i go up a scale for instance it will periodically sound like a mono synth in poly mode for like 4-5 notes run because the voice Allocation system is stealing the last note played instead of the first like a normal simple poly synth would, this, for me, renders the synth unplayable in many respects.

HELP !

i got latest version.

ps, someone made a clip that showcases the issue :

confirmed. someone should contact korg

Has anyone contacted Korg? Are they even listening? What are the options here? Thanks

Called my local distributor they can't do anything..

Sent a support request to Korg Japan I am sure it will go nowhere (as it is for Japanese only).

At least I tried,

if you still have facebook you can try contact the developer who has a facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tatsuya.takahashi.507
fastest way to get the issue sorted (if it can be solved).

I think this explains the fault well
minilogue voice stealing the last note played.
it will periodically sound like a mono synth in poly mode for like 4-5 notes run because the voice allocation system is stealing the last note played instead of the first like a normal simple poly synth would.
someone made a clip that showcases the issue :

edit:double post

Thanks I will give it a shot!!

I think I have found a "compromise" for the voice allocation on long release times...it's more about how they synth is played. Instead of using long release times I would instead use long decay times (while holding the notes), no sustain and medium release. It kinda works and more akin to organ playing but it's certainly acceptable. You can hear the difference on long notes. Think it's worth it since the overall sound of this synth is quite astounding. Cheers

...and if I may add...it seems that by holding down 3 sustained notes and playing the 4th as a mono line (with portamento turned on), it's like having a droning chord and a mono line at the same time. The mono note envelope will not reset as long as you play legato. Probably normal behaviour but Interesting still. Maybe it explains the choice in voicing by Korg.

That actually makes sense and, in fact, is quite clever on KORG's part. But maybe they need to offer both options?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”