Basic Eurorack System Recommendations

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote:My first rack has been kind of a directionless mess, just an exploration of what's out there in modular and what I can't really do in software.

The second modular rack I'm starting...
I think that's a pretty natural progression, and certainly where I found myself. When expanding from a Mother or a System 1m or a 0-Coast, it's a matter of whatever you think looks cool and you find yourself needing. "Boy, I wish I had another LFO" or "I need more random sources".

Then after reading and wiggling and reading some more you get an idea of what you really WANT, and that's when you set up the Rig 2.0 modulargrid rack, spec it, and start buying trading.

I'm one module away from my Rack 2.0 and can't wait. To me it will finally be an instrument rather than a rack o' stuff, and then I won't buy anything for six months. (Promise)

sprnva wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Maths
Is there a euro setup anywhere that doesn't have a Maths in it? I see it everywhere.

For the delay a Roland Demora might be a good option if you can find one. Like the Mother-32 it can be used as a standalone unit or racked (although I hear it's quite power-hungry). It can also double as a DC-coupled audio interface so you can use it to connect up Reaktor 6, Softube Modular, BWS2 etc to your euro system. That way you could use some software options until you buy hardware equivalents. See here. Otherwise some Expert Sleepers module could give you the same functionality.
I can second the Demora. If you want a hardware delay in your Eurorack system, and aren't insistent on it being analog, it has some nice modulation possibilities with your other gear. An even more useful feature, I've found, is that you can reconfigure the Demora to be a lot of other things. It's worth downloading Roland's AIRA app to take a look at all the modules inside it. Even if a particular patch doesn't need delay, the Demora (or any of the other AIRA effects) can be a filter, oscillator, lfo, envelope generator, ring modulator, etc. It can add a lot to a small system without taking up very much rack space.

For delays, I usually prefer software solutions. Since I'm recording into my computer anyway, I might as well take advantage of the options available with my plugins. My favorite delay plugin is UVI's Relayer. I've heard good things about NI's Replika XT, but I haven't tried the demo.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

hermbot wrote:
I think that's a pretty natural progression, and certainly where I found myself. When expanding from a Mother or a System 1m or a 0-Coast, it's a matter of whatever you think looks cool and you find yourself needing. "Boy, I wish I had another LFO" or "I need more random sources".
I agree. I started with a Dopefer Basic System then moved toward a rack which was gear toward signal processing. Almost 10 years later I'm now on rig 4.5 with some additional racks that have popped up along the way.
I think it's natural for the rack to evolve as you grow with the system. You'll also find that what you want from your rack will change as you go along.

I know that I had certain "a-ha" moments with different kinds of modules which completely changed the way I was patching. The Expert Sleepers ES modules caused one of those moments. There was another moment like that after experiments with sequential switches, clock dividers and analog/digital logic. Then another which led me to selling half of a pretty large system to fund a Shared System.

The other side of that coin is discipline and commitment to learning your synth. It's often tempting to by something new in order to solve a problem but you may find that you already have a solution in your rack, you just need to think about using modules in a different way. So many modules can take on new functions when used in different ways. Then there are modules which seem focused on a very specific functions, I find that while those can often be really fun, I tend to get bored of them more quickly.

sprnva wrote:For West Coast have you looked at the Verbos stuff at all? Mark was big in Buchla repairs so he knows that whole system inside and out. Like Make Noise (and Buchla) he seems to go for density with his modules and tries to get a lot into them.
I like the Verbos look in theory, but in practice none of the modules really appeal to me (except that touchplate keyboard of theirs, though it's not practical for my setup). I don't really have a sense of how their stuff sounds/acts. And they've got some modules that could easily have been 1/3 of the width but they like those huge knobs. Good for a consistent look and for performance, not so great for a compact system.
RichieWitch wrote:By the time I filled my second 84hp row, I had a bolt of inspiration for building a chaos-driven, morphing wavetable synth that would sound unlike anything I could buy off the shelf. I've just about filled my fourth row now (still small by some standards), but the only thing I feel compelled to add are a few more logic/sequencing circuits and the occasional quirky module that catches my attention, like the Gristleizer or KOMA Electronik's new Field Kit.
I've been finding myself drawn to about 160-180HP per "system". Depending on density this is about enough for 2-3 extremely flexible, complex voices with decent modulation (assuming most controllers, sequencing and effects are elsewhere). My first rack is super-dense with lots of Mutable stuff, several 2hp modules and Ornament & Crime. The second will be half the number of modules, a little more relaxed in space and no displays/menus, but still two voices. I've actually tried to bring it down to two rows of 60hp but that sacrifices too much and doesn't leave any breathing room to add another module or two beyond the plan. I suppose I could rack all this stuff together but I am in love with the idea that this second one is a separate instrument (and I think it reduces patch cable spaghetti too).
justin3am wrote:So many modules can take on new functions when used in different ways. Then there are modules which seem focused on a very specific functions, I find that while those can often be really fun, I tend to get bored of them more quickly.
Agreed, I really like the flexible stuff, the modules that can be repurposed. Slope generators for instance... it's a portamento/envelope/LFO/VCO/waveshaper/filter/trigger delay/octave divider/VCA! Or even just using a vanilla envelope generator used as a waveshaper, an analog PLL to generate rhythms, hooking up VCA inputs "backwards" to make it a rectifier, etc.

bharris22 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I bought a Moog Mother 32 several months ago with the intention of making it the heart of a basic Eurorack systeml I plan to purchase either the two or three tier rack that will hold an additional one or two 60 hp cases. I am still new to hardware synths, so am wondering what additional modules everyone here would recommend to make this system as versatile as possible? I was planning to buy a digital wavetable oscillator to complement the Moog analog one, and think that a delay module would be handy. Any other suggestions you may have to complete this system would be appreciated.

Thanks!
When I demoed Mother, I thought the weakest spot was the envelope. Maths is amazing, but there's also Endorphines Temrinal, which I find more difficult to use. A very flexible alternative is Peaks from Mutable Instruments. Two of those have you set with pretty much 4 envelopes that can also act as LFOs or drum modules. If I had to start over with what I know today, I'd get a Maths and a Peaks.

(that said, I can't wait to check out the latest things at Superbooth... 3 weeks to go)

Ornament & Crime is excellent for envelopes too, if you don't mind menus and a display. It's got a better UI than many VST plugins and it's supremely powerful.

If you do get Peaks, I advise ignoring Expert mode -- I thought it was more flexible, but it means losing track of knob positions and after the 500th time you screw up a perfectly set envelope or LFO because you were on the wrong channel, you want to sell the thing.

Envelopes/slopes are one of the difficult choices for my West Coast rack. I'm looking at any two of Maths, Rampage, or Double Andore, or else a single Quadra with expander. Each has their pros and cons. I'm kind of leaning toward pairing Maths with DPO and Double Andore with Hertz Donut, though.

Ha! Ha! I dont have a Maths!

Hmmm. Anyways, for the 9U crate Im filling with DIY modules, I actually decided on a couple of Arduino-based modules and simple sequencers (like the RYO) instead of looking for complex envelope type things.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Roland Aira modules are probably the most versatile, can even use it connected to your computer via USB to send audio/cv to your eurorack !!

They can also function as an Osc, Lfo, envelope, filter, effects.....

I picked up a 2nd hand scooper for £160
Amazon: why not use an alternative

foosnark wrote:
Envelopes/slopes are one of the difficult choices for my West Coast rack. I'm looking at any two of Maths, Rampage, or Double Andore, or else a single Quadra with expander. Each has their pros and cons. I'm kind of leaning toward pairing Maths with DPO and Double Andore with Hertz Donut, though.
I can recommend both the Verbos envelope and sequencer for complex envelopes
Amazon: why not use an alternative

foosnark wrote:I like the Verbos look in theory, but in practice none of the modules really appeal to me (except that touchplate keyboard of theirs, though it's not practical for my setup). I don't really have a sense of how their stuff sounds/acts. And they've got some modules that could easily have been 1/3 of the width but they like those huge knobs. Good for a consistent look and for performance, not so great for a compact system.
I felt the same way, that the most of his modules are similar to stuff I already have, but in a bigger footprint. Then he gave me a demo whehn I was at NAMM... the Bark filter is pretty incredible and I was really digging the Harmonic Oscillator and the Scan&Pan. I may end up with some Verbos stuff in the future.

In my experience Make Noise and Harvestman go together like chocolate and peanut butter. The core of my system for a long time was Hertz Donut, Maths, Wogglebug and QMMG. So much so, that I had two of each at one point. Not to mention, a Piston Honda, Tyme Sefari, DPO, Phonogene and pretty much everything else Make Noise made at the time.
Anyway, since Make Noise modulation sources usually operate in positive voltage ranges, they work very well with Harvestman stuff(I know it's Industrial Music Electronics now, but it will always be Harvestman to me) as they expect 0-5v modulation signals.

Ornaments & Crimes has been such a transformative module for me but I'm surprised to hear that it's working well in the context of a smaller system. I've built four of them now and three Temps_Utile (but I only kept two of each). They are so helpful for turning simple sequences into dynamic compositions. I frequently use the Quantermaine app with a single CV source but with different clocks, then I send all of the outputs to a sequential switch so I can cycle through different variations of the same sequence. It's just an amazing module, even if you only focus on one app.
Last edited by justin3am on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote:... I thought the weakest spot was the envelope. Maths is amazing ...
Cultist
foosnark wrote:Ornament & Crime is excellent for envelopes too,
Heretic
whyterabbyt wrote:Ha! Ha! I dont have a Maths!
Pagan

This is how it starts... the great religion of Maths will experience a schism, like all great religions, as the young upstart Ornament+Crime begins leading the faithful astray!!

Bear no falst gods!! Mark my words!! The end is near! :help:

whyterabbyt wrote:Ha! Ha! I dont have a Maths!
:lol: :tu:

justin3am wrote:In my experience Make Noise and Harvestman go together like chocolate and peanut butter.
From what I've read, they not only are both Buchla fans but they love each other's work and intentionally design their stuff to complement each other. :hug:

I just wish The Harvestman (yeah I know) made an LPG so I could use that. Polivoks filters are cool but not the go-to filter for the job. Maybe I can get a bunch of Rogan knobs and paint the caps orange :hihi:
justin3am wrote:Ornaments & Crimes has been such a transformative module for me but I'm surprised to hear that it's working well in the context of a smaller system.
I just got mine last week, but Piqued is kicking every ass on envelope duty. Some of the other apps are just a curiosity to me to be honest. Quadraturia seems like it's good for making crazy shapes using the XOR stuff but I don't have much use for quadrature LFOs generally. I thought Low-Rents was going to be a try-once-and-forget app but it's actually really nice for slow, coordinated animation.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this - I really appreciate it. Now, to save the money . . . .

The guy from Molten Music Tech has been documenting his steps getting into modular and a couple of days ago he posted a couple of new videos. In the first one he discusses how and why he picked his first set of modules and in the second he installs and tests them one-by-one.

I've been watching his videos as it's nice to see how getting started in modular has gone for him. I imagine it'd be similar for most people starting out.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”