It's That Time Again...I Need A Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can Rewire Reason into Cubase, but, that's audio in only then, and you'd have to do automation in Reason. IMO, Thor isn't really worth it anyway though, if you're acquainted to VSTi's. Really bland and uninspiring sounding synth for me. Reason's internal device need an update, badly. Your call, of course.

chk071 wrote:You can Rewire Reason into Cubase, but, that's audio in only then, and you'd have to do automation in Reason. IMO, Thor isn't really worth it anyway though, if you're acquainted to VSTi's. Really bland and uninspiring sounding synth for me. Reason's internal device need an update, badly. Your call, of course.
Interesting. I thought Thor sounded pretty cool when I heard it. Oh well, I guess we all have our own taste when it comes to this stuff.

Thor is amazing, but you have to do a ton of rewiring and effects to get it going which may or may not be your cup of tea. Reason is it's own thing and you must spend a lot of time with it to get the great sound it can produce. reasonexperts.com is the best source for reaon tricks.

chk071 wrote:You can Rewire Reason into Cubase, but, that's audio in only then, and you'd have to do automation in Reason. IMO, Thor isn't really worth it anyway though, if you're acquainted to VSTi's. Really bland and uninspiring sounding synth for me. Reason's internal device need an update, badly. Your call, of course.

In ableton live, you can control Reason device parameters directly within Live itself. I used to love doing that with Abletons Clip launcher section. I wonder why it's not the same with Cubase?
:borg:

wagtunes wrote:
Interesting. I thought Thor sounded pretty cool when I heard it. Oh well, I guess we all have our own taste when it comes to this stuff.
Yeah, don't take my word for it. We're all different in that regard. :)

@ V0RTEX: Weird, maybe Cubase doesn't support all Rewire features. Whenever i tried it, with Rebirth, or Reason 5, it was audio in only. Maybe i missed something.

wagtunes wrote:
EnGee wrote: Sorry off topic, I really don't have any suggestion for any synth. Everything has been mentioned except Reason maybe!
I would love to get Thor but I have no idea how to integrate that with Cubase when doing songs.
It is easy. There are some tutorials/videos and documents to show you how appear when you google. Some are old, so there are some changes because of the added Mixer to Reason (after 5 I think).

Anyway, what I was thinking is not only Thor really (in spite of it still going strong), but doing presets for Combinator. It's not an easy task of course, but very interesting results and it can be very complex routings.

There are some great Rack Extensions IMO, like FM4, The Legend (you get that for free if you got the VSTi I think), Antidote (sounds like Dune 2!), Parsec ..etc. Let's say you bought Parsec, now you can write presets not only for Parsec but for the combinator (that includes all the default instruments/effects came with Reason), so taking advantage of the default tools. But I'm not sure of the market really and how to distribute the presets (through ReFills I guess). Maybe it is better to ask someone like eXode, he is a known sound designer (not only Reason) and has his Refills in the shop there.

The demo of Reason is a good place to start.

maybe it has nothing to do with the synth, ...would also suggest strobe 2 and lush 101,

but i would buy more complex patches like modular, falcon, avenger or icarus, if the style would fit to my techno, techhouse production...(no comercial edm)

bought from u only the legend patches, because the fit to my style

if you reach a cool style, than the synth is independent. Ok there is some difference if i have already 100 sylenth soundsets and no soundsets for falcon or modular, for example.

Do you also offer bundles ? like if you buy 5 or 10 or 20 soundsets....because you already offer a lot of soundsets

sacer wrote:maybe it has nothing to do with the synth, ...would also suggest strobe 2 and lush 101,

but i would buy more complex patches like modular, falcon, avenger or icarus, if the style would fit to my techno, techhouse production...(no comercial edm)

if you reach a cool style, than the synth is independent. Ok there is some difference if i have already 100 sylenth soundsets and no soundsets for falcon or modular, for example.

Do you also offer bundles ? like if you buy 5 or 10 or 20 soundsets....because you already offer a lot of soundsets
Actually, I just bought Lush-101 and am working on a set as we speak.

As for bundle deals, it's not something I normally do.

wagtunes wrote:

Interested to hear what you think about Lush-101 wags. I tried the demo and really liked the sound and the layering. But the GUI was too hard to read and the CPU usage was off the charts so I didn't end up buying it.

noddog wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

Interested to hear what you think about Lush-101 wags. I tried the demo and really liked the sound and the layering. But the GUI was too hard to read and the CPU usage was off the charts so I didn't end up buying it.
I'm the king of "I hate this GUI" and, with the larger setting and removing the keyboard, I have no problem with it. Granted, I have to move it around the screen a bit to fit the whole thing in but I can live with that because this thing sounds amazing.

CPU? Yeah, if you start piling on the layers. But I'm having no problems keeping it to 2 or 3 layers which is really all you need.

I put off buying this for ages. Glad I finally got it.

wagtunes wrote:
sacer wrote:maybe it has nothing to do with the synth, ...would also suggest strobe 2 and lush 101,

bundle deals or promos would help people to buy sounds they don't realy need.
It's like effect plugins which you don't need, but the price is cheap if I buy 3 instead of one comp or eq :)

it's often that i buy soundsets for synths I don't use often, if they are offered in a bundle.

sacer wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

bundle deals or promos would help people to buy sounds they don't realy need.
It's like effect plugins which you don't need, but the price is cheap if I buy 3 instead of one comp or eq :)

it's often that i buy soundsets for synths I don't use often, if they are offered in a bundle.
See, I'm the complete opposite and maybe that's why I don't do bundle deals. If I see an offer for 5 libraries for $50 but there's only one I really want and it's $15, I'll just get the one for $15. Why spend an additional $35 for stuff I don't really need?

Does that make sense?

Perfect music is not about moar synths.
I created 2^16 presets for the Anechoic Room Simulator effect plugin. I apply a random preset to ANY instrument, tada boom done dope.

Depends on how cheap the bundle is in relation to each individual soundset. Touch the Universe has a great bundle for Lush that comes out to like buy 2 get one free or something. They are all good too.

As a customer I prefer:

The instance described above.

For the developer to concentrate on a few synths; therefore, I can buy more than one kind of synth soundset for a particular synth. This allows me to do repeat business with the same designer and follow their increase in creativity, and understanding of a particular synth.

It allows me to PURCHASE a synth just to know I will be able to continue to do business with them in the Future. And know I have someone dedicated to providing a product for me later. I am of the type where I don't want 100 synths, but i will get one or two if i know the developer is bringing more for a synth (Skippy does primarily Omnisphere now because he knows his fan base well, and synths like Spire have become torrented a lot). Not everyone has a lot of synths, so those customers are lost who can only buy the one or two soundsets of a synth provided when they first visit the site. Also, I believe those with a lot of synths can afford them as well as sound design themselves as opposed to the one guy who saved up for a synth and needs presets and can't create his own patches.

For a customer, themes are very important. The actual contents of most products don't sell, but brand and image do. When you buy pepsi, you get pepsi. When you buy McDonald's the same. If I were to buy a soundset that gives me a lot of something, I'll go back and buy more even if it's similar. I also go back if there is new theme of the same feeling (the Mexican burger flame broiled opposed to the Texan burger) like House opposed to New - age house.

I enjoy personalities. I enjoy free youtube videos. I enjoy the individuals opinions and outlooks. I don't enjoy huge bland menus with lists. I like when the developer holds interesting views on many genres but keeps it open; and their interest for specific styles to implement and interest in specific synths- to explain the ideosyncracies of them and features.

tapiodmitriyevich wrote:Perfect music is not about moar synths.
I created 2^16 presets for the Anechoic Room Simulator effect plugin. I apply a random preset to ANY instrument, tada boom done dope.
Not everyone can appreciate the subtlety of that effect. It's for advanced producers only, really. You should try daisy-chaining instances, you can achieve the stillness of death.

Return to “Instruments”