Bitwig2 for epic orchestral music composer?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fascinating. Not even remotely related to what I do, but interesting.

It's really awesome, keep up!!! Nothing to do with my music, but humanly you're over the top.

NoBorders wrote: Try demo first, because S1 have very bad cpu efficiency.
Yup. That was my experience on Mac and Windows. I tried moving to Studio One from Logic. I rebuilt a bunch of projects in Studio One with the same plugins & effects and it could barely play them on a brand new machine that my 6 year old Macbook Air could handle fine with Logic.

Bitwig has impressed me in that regard: seems to handle resources well.

polishbroadcast wrote:
NoBorders wrote: Try demo first, because S1 have very bad cpu efficiency.
Yup. That was my experience on Mac and Windows. I tried moving to Studio One from Logic. I rebuilt a bunch of projects in Studio One with the same plugins & effects and it could barely play them on a brand new machine that my 6 year old Macbook Air could handle fine with Logic.

Bitwig has impressed me in that regard: seems to handle resources well.
I'll have to agree. I own many DAWs (Studio One v3.x, Bitwig v1.3x, FL Studio 12.x, Reaper 5.x, Renoise v3, Reason v9.2 and Maschine 2.x). I'm not using Maschine as a DAW, and Reason can be ruled out (at least until v9.5 is released). My experience of the CPU handing of the rest of the DAWs mentioned, from best to worst is:

1. Reaper
2. Bitwig
3. Renoise
4. Studio One
5. FL Studio

But the order I use my DAWs is:

1. Studio One (because of the fantastic workflow and GUI)
2. Reason (Studio One will get a tough competitor when v9.5 with VST support is released)
3. FL Studio (because there are so many tutorials on FL Studio (YouTube))
4. Bitwig (using it more and more rarely, and I will probably not upgrade due to the new business model)
5. Reaper (using it mostly when playing with modular synths that are really CPU heavy)
6. Renoise (would like to use it more, for sentimental reasons (FastTracker 2, Scream Tracker 3))
7. Maschine (as mentioned earlier, I'm not using this as a DAW at all)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I lol'd so hard when you put bitwig as a 2nd best CPU usage Daw. Not even my 8c/16th can make it handle large projects without the GUI crapping its pants.

sisarii wrote:I lol'd so hard when you put bitwig as a 2nd best CPU usage Daw. Not even my 8c/16th can make it handle large projects without the GUI crapping its pants.
I see people complain a lot about BW performance. But for me it runs really well, by far better than FL Studio for performance. I have tons of VSTs running and Im on a 4c/8 Sandybridge. I ran a demo of ProTools and I thought that was slow compared to BW.

Im interested how can there be such a performance difference between different users? Do you run independent host mode per plugin? There must be something that causes BW to lose the plot for some users.

I dont go too crazy with the BW modulators. I use plugins more than the BW ones.
http://Freshby6.com
Bitwig since 1.0

I am on OSX 10.12.4.
Macbook retina mid 2015.
CPU I7 2.5 GHZ
16 GIG RAM
Bitwig 2.0
Only Bitwig open, no other programs open.
Buffersize 512
SR: 44.1
Audio device: Apollo Twin.

Using only 1 single audio track in BW, with no FX plugins on it, a few clips on the Track.
Not very smooth (thus: laggy) behaviour when moving audio clips, editing them etc, etc.

In general: a laggy GUI in all area's in my experience: quite annoying. :evil:
Whereas Reaper (64bit) is smooth as butter in its whole kind, also Abelton Live feels mega snappy.
Rob van Hees

changucha wrote:Here is an in depth analysis of a track my husband is working on, in case this might help. ;)
That is really well done and extremely useful!
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Return to “Bitwig”