Buckaroo Banzai synths? (opening theme, mainly)[Michael Boddicker]

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(not certain if this should go in Hardware or Production Techniques, but I'm assuming likely Hardware so here it is. Mods, please feel free to move if this is not the place. :) )

Can anyone identify/guess what synth(s) may be in use here? I'm not at all and never have been a hardware synth guy so I'm totally in the dark.

I couldn't find a YT vid of the opening track but it's the first minute and a half of this vid here. The other incidental music is similar. It's only the (in?)famous end credit 'whistling' song that goes a good bit farther afield.

The strings and brass in the opening credits is what's of most interest to me.

I found a thread on GearSlutz concerning this from about two years ago and someone posted the guy's kit on a soundtrack recorded the same year, but I'm not certain how that may or may not give answers to this.
Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems to me that folks far more familiar with hardware than I may recognize certain characters of this or that synth in the first minute or two of this vid.

So...yeah...here's hoping. Cheers! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rriEEu3iuA
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Yeah. That's the thread I came across that I mentioned in my OP.
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Based on that Gearslutz thread, I'd say he had every synth available on the market at the time, used every one of them in his recordings, layered multiple of them together, and ran it all through effects. Short of asking him personally, I don't think you stand much of a chance of getting an accurate answer. Great soundtrack though, and one of my favorite movies.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I just replied on the Gearslutz thread, old as it may be.

For the Team March I use the FM8 softsynth from Native Instruments.
Whistle/ocarina : Syn Vox patch
Outro piano: Soft Rhodes patch

Lol, a YouTube of the limited edition gold cd ... irony is a mean bitch.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:Lol, a YouTube of the limited edition gold cd ... irony is a mean bitch.
:lol: :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”