AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kaine wrote:Aye, the 7700K (current equal model) offers 25% more performance overhead than the 3770K for £150 less than the 1800X. I mean I get what hes doing and why he wants to show it, but it's not really all that compelling, nor does it show us anything new in regards to price vs performance.
The 7700K is way better than the 1800X on single-threaded tasks. Even the 3770K is better than the 1800X in that respect.
I suppose if Intel launched an 8-core version of the 7700K, that would blow the 1800X out of the water.

Multithreading is another story, of course. Basically it is still the same scenario as with the FX processors, just on a higher level.

I don't think it makes much sense to buy the 1800X, the 1700(X) is almost as good and costs a lot less. For the difference I get the memory, or even a motherboard. And when the 1600X is launched, AMD will probably sell even fewer 1800X's.

So I launched new Ryzen rig today. What could go wrong?

...six hours later, Windows 10 is finally installing :party:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

fluffy_little_something wrote:The 7700K is way better than the 1800X on single-threaded tasks. Even the 3770K is better than the 1800X in that respect.
I wouldn't say way better. Intel used to be way better with the Bulldozer platform. Also, 7700k wins in single thread because of frequency mostly. If we were to compare at the same frequency the difference would be like 3-5%.

Not so sure about that, according to this list the ST results are 2595 vs 1952 for the 7700K and 1800X respectively, @ 4.2 vs 3.6 GHz. I.e. the benchmark result is 1.33 times the Ryzen's, the speed only 1.17 times.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/a ... iew,9.html
CPU-Z
R8 1800x - 2162 points
i7 7700K - 2235 points

Cinebench
R8 1800x - 156 points
i7 7700k - 191 points

Both were running stock freq and in my opinion that difference isn't that big and kinda fits with my affirmation. Even the reviewer said that single thread performance is given by frequency and IPC
At single core performance it's all about clock frequency and IPC (how fast one core is).
Ryzen IPC is pretty close to Intel's, most of the difference is made by frequency. Their IPC has been improved over 52% from the last AMD generation.

Lots of rankings on that site, according to most of which Ryzen is doing pretty well :tu: The flood of benchmarks makes it hard to arrive at a clear verdict, though.

I think the verdict is clear. There isn't anything wrong with amd, but intel is still a better option at the price point.

incubus wrote:I think the verdict is clear. There isn't anything wrong with amd, but intel is still a better option at the price point.
Maybe in your book.

I am not having slightest idea how is intel better (as of now)? I am not paying blue company 499$++ anymore for 5-8% of better performance.

To each his own.

DJ Warmonger wrote:So I launched new Ryzen rig today. What could go wrong?

I assume installation is complete by now ^^
So, how does your new system work? :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:So I launched new Ryzen rig today. What could go wrong?

I assume installation is complete by now ^^
So, how does your new system work? :)
I set it up only today, had a hard time configuring SSD + RAID 10 combo. For now I can only enjoy quick data transfers :wink: .

Will take a while before I get Ableton or anything else back to work.

Still, first results are very promising and it's all QUIET.
Windows Ryzen performance.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

incubus wrote:I think the verdict is clear. There isn't anything wrong with amd, but intel is still a better option at the price point.
Odd post, especially since you mention the price point.

Scotty wrote: 1. In its current state is Ryzen 1700 or 1800 simply incapable of 32 sample latency at 44.1k using a good quality interface such as an RME raydat? or simply a poorer performer than an equally clocked modern i7?
Incapable or running so badly it may as well be. One thing I will note is that RME is currently warning that the are issues with the X370 chipset and their PCIe cards. They only seem to work at all in the PCIe 16X_2 slots (assuming 16X_1 slots are hosting the GPU), so it looks like they need a direct connection to the CPU, rather than running though the I/O controller.
2. Beyond 128 sample latency at 44.1 K (256 OR 512) is the Ryzen a solid competitor to an equally clocked modern i7?
I need to run more tests to see how that pans out now we've built an extended version of the test (all the chips exceeded the older test above 192).

It's on my to do list, hopefully sooner rather than later.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Odd post, especially since you mention the price point.
kmonkey wrote:
Maybe in your book.

I am not having slightest idea how is intel better (as of now)? I am not paying blue company 499$++ anymore for 5-8% of better performance.

To each his own.
+/- $300 is the sweet spot for CPUs as far as price/performance goes.

So, for just about everything, Intel comes out ahead in that regard for anyone building a decently powered system today.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

The Intel chips that top the 1700X are much more expensive, the i7 6900K for instance.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The Intel chips that top the 1700X are much more expensive, the i7 6900K for instance.
I think you mean the 7700k. Which is cheaper than the 1700x. At that pricepoint, they are neck and neck in some applications, sometimes the Ryzen can beat it (in highly specalized *SYNTHETIC* tests), but in real world applications, the 7700k is the safe buy.

I understand that you dislike Intel. You've already mentioned it a few times in this thread. That's fine, you can build an AMD machine and still get good performance. I've been building computers since the 486 days, and have gone back and forth with AMD and Intel.

AMD was unable to unseat Intel this time. Maybe next time.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”