It's ... I need a mono synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Frankly, I never would have associated monophonic with bread and butter sounds in the first place.
Seriously? Take the Minimoog, which was arguably the most popular synth of the era, take all the sounds that you heard to death from it back in the 70s and 80s, put them all together, and there are your bread and butter sounds for THAT particular monophonic synth.

I swear, if I heard one more "Lucky Man" solo (which was actually played on Keith's modular system but later adapted by every hack bar band that owned a Minimoog) I would have screamed.

So yeah, there are tons of "bread and butter" sounds for monophonic synths.

And they still exist today.

God help us all.
Well, although that was my era and I know plenty of songs from that time, I don't know which sounds on them came from which synths. They might as well have come from some Oberheim or whatever.
Well, I made sure I knew what came from what because I played in a band and had to know, which is the only reason I bought the ARP synths that I got because we did a lot of Cars stuff. Not that I didn't like the ARP stuff. In fact, I liked it better than the Moog stuff but that's way off topic.

Point is, regardless of YOUR knowledge, there WERE bread and butter sounds from each synth of that era. Go online and somewhere they are listed in fact including what songs they were played on.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:People should get the CM synths before seeing if they need anything else I think. Alto CM, Bazille CM, Dune CM, etc. Then also Charlatan, Tyrell N6, Synth1. Plenty of mono goodness in all those.
Somewhat OT and I feel dumb for asking, but honestly don't know. If you buy one issue of CM do you get all the plugins previous or only the ones in that issue? I don't mind buying a copy, but don't want to spend the $20 something here in the US if I can't access the entire back catalog of plugins. I would assume you can, but didn't know and it seems a little vague looking at their site.

wagtunes wrote:Well, I made sure I knew what came from what because I played in a band and had to know, which is the only reason I bought the ARP synths that I got because we did a lot of Cars stuff. Not that I didn't like the ARP stuff. In fact, I liked it better than the Moog stuff but that's way off topic.

Point is, regardless of YOUR knowledge, there WERE bread and butter sounds from each synth of that era. Go online and somewhere they are listed in fact including what songs they were played on.
I remember a couple of lead and bass sounds from that era, which I suppose were made on monophonic synths.
But I don't think any one of them was only possible on a specific synth. Maybe they even came from a "polyphonic" synth, like Oberheim's 4 or 8 Voice. Rose Royce used to make typical monophonic sounds on the 4 Voice.

wagtunes wrote:Well, I made sure I knew what came from what because I played in a band and had to know, which is the only reason I bought the ARP synths that I got because we did a lot of Cars stuff. Not that I didn't like the ARP stuff. In fact, I liked it better than the Moog stuff but that's way off topic.

I remember a couple of lead and bass sounds from that era, which I suppose were made on monophonic synths.
But I don't think any one of them was only possible on a specific synth. Maybe they even came from a "polyphonic" synth, like Oberheim's 4 or 8 Voice. Rose Royce used to make typical monophonic sounds on the 4 Voice.
You're missing the point.

There were sounds from the era, regardless of what synths they were played on, that were played to death. You heard them constantly. THOSE are your bread and butter sounds. Everybody wanted them and got whatever synth they had to get to make them.

Of course there were bread and butter sounds, but who says they came from monophonic synths? That's all I am saying...

chk071 wrote:Interestingly, most seem to have missed this:
Autobot wrote:... and please with low cpu usage.
No, it was not missed, just ignored. Really, if you can't stomach a good synth, then pretty much anything will do.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Of course there were bread and butter sounds, but who says they came from monophonic synths? That's all I am saying...
Well they sure as hell did before the days of polyphony.

what CPU the OP has?

I have i5-4570, which is about 3-4 years old and I consider RePro-1, Monark ... etc don't demand high CPU usage. I can say even low to average. Why?

Because, say, the first instance of RePro-1 takes 15%. The second one and third instance won't make 45% of the CPU! It would be like 25% for all the three. That's for me is average CPU usage. Now, I can guess with modern i7, it won't be more than 20% for three instances, right?

Now, if the OP has a really weak CPU (less than i3), then there are no mono runs on his/hers because most of the monophonic synths are new with costy code and tech (especially the emulations). In this case I would choose:
- Synth1 (free)
- FM8 and/or Sylenth1

There are other good recommendations like Sunrizer and Dagger. Nave is also ported from iOS, so it's with low CPU. So, in that case, the main criteria is the low CPU usage rather than 'mono', which is covered in another recent thread.

If you can pick up GForce Oddity (v1). Most excellent sound, and low CPU.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

wagtunes wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Of course there were bread and butter sounds, but who says they came from monophonic synths? That's all I am saying...
Polyphonic synths have been around at least since the mid-70s (CS-80), i.e. just 5 years after the Minimoog was launched. I for one don't even remember synth music from 1970-75, let alone bread-and-butter sounds from those 5 years.

wagtunes wrote:
Polyphonic synths have been around at least since the mid-70s (CS-80), i.e. just 5 years after the Minimoog was launched. I for one don't even remember synth music from 1970-75, let alone bread-and-butter sounds from those 5 years.
Well I do, and long before. You're not the authority on what is and isn't a "bread and butter sound" just because YOU don't remember it.

Aside from that, the CS 80 had a sound that no other synth had. Personally, I hated it. But it was unmistakable.

wagtunes wrote:Well I do, and long before. You're not the authority on what is and isn't a "bread and butter sound" just because YOU don't remember it.

Aside from that, the CS 80 had a sound that no other synth had. Personally, I hated it. But it was unmistakable.
I didn't claim to be authority on bread-and-butter sounds. What I did say is that I didn't associate monophonic synths with bread-and-butter sounds and that I didn't remember synths sounds from 1970-75, let alone bread-and-butter sounds. On the music I remember from the early 70's, synths were either completely missing or just a minor add-on to the otherwise acoustic/electric music. Like on the Ironside theme.
Name a few songs from that time that had bread-and-butter monophonic synth sounds, I am curious...

:borg:

That tune is from the late 70's, so who knows which synths they used in the studio. Anyway, I like it, they used to play it at the ice rink a lot :)

Return to “Instruments”