BitWig 2.1 discusion thread

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hah! I read the I as 1. My bad. In truth, I agree. A bunch of stuff I didn't really need and a new interface I don't like as much.

Are the bug fixes being tracked somewhere? Like most others in this thread, I don't get a great feeling with the developers being so feature driven. Not when obvious bugs are being carried over even from the 1.3 versions. :(

I'm going to peace out of this thread, but in general we are not the people you need to convince. I'm guessing the devs don't read this forum. We are just users and so to us you guys are airing your grievances on a thread where many of us were excited to discuss features. I get that you're bummed but it would be great if we could also have our fun.

The amp-sim is exciting to me. I will most certainly use it. Mind you, I recently switched over (entirely) to Linux and amp-sims are not ample yet. Btw, I realize, just saying the word "Linux" makes a lot of people tune out. Although, you should know, Bitwig (plus notable others) has allowed me to completely escape the big OS duopoly! This is pretty huge, even though most may not appreciate it yet. It is emblematic of a synthesis that's underway between closed and open source philosophies. I couldn't be more pleased to see it.

Anyway ... The midi slave ability is exciting as well. This means I can deploy Bitwig (with all it's native devices) to all sorts of miscellaneous hardware (courtesy Linux, run headless even) and control it like an instrument--not that this wasn't possible before with the API! Nevertheless, it's more leverage and power.

Bitwig, is definitely a sound design platform and it really does encourage experimentation and playing around. To me, this is it's true virtue. Session recording tools already exist; powerful song writing tools, not so much. Bitwig shines here and I think I see where they may be headed.

Feature proposition: How about a concept to manage lyrics, such as lyric/meta-clips? Maybe a lyric-scroller view? I could envision ways this might work. Thoughts?

Although the 2.1 is surely a cool thing (specially the slave feature), honestly I would have preferred that they have focused on the issues of the 2.0. I was in touch with the support for several problems and then suddenly dead silence for one month :?

Track delay device in .ms would be a great addition too!

There were quite big amount critical bugs/wishes submitted during 2.0 beta with _no_ fixes/reaction till now, so for me it's important to know that developers are listening (they stated so) and fixing stuff.

So yes, anyone who will get (got?) access to 2.1 beta already - please, chime in ^_^

Beta 2.1 is out, testing time!

There are two points that frustrate me quite a lot:

- The EQ5's shelf has no resonance parameter. Other EQs have that, so you can also use the EQ as tilt filter, or 3dB filter or whatever.

- No non-destructive ms-delay for each track. Positive and negative. this is essential for me while building grooves and also for depth recognition.

Wouldn't be too hard to implement, no?

Wow. I just read all 5 pages of this thread in one sitting. When did this community get such a dark side? The amount of bitchin' and moanin' based on a first update just a month later.....

And yes, we all have a right to post our opinions and needs and observations, but the jump to condemn and convict is really unnecessary.

I get the impression that for some there is a toxic dynamic that has set in. No matter what the devs do, it will never be the right thing, never enough...

https://youtu.be/N5enlLwo94M
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

gesslr wrote:Wow. I just read all 5 pages of this thread in one sitting. When did this community get such a dark side? The amount of bitchin' and moanin' based on a first update just a month later.....

And yes, we all have a right to post our opinions and needs and observations, but the jump to condemn and convict is really unnecessary.

I get the impression that for some there is a toxic dynamic that has set in. No matter what the devs do, it will never be the right thing, never enough...

+1000

Hey gessir, exactly my thoughts, thanks for summing it up. The worst is that actually most of the complaints just make no sense...

ejgallego wrote:
gesslr wrote:Wow. I just read all 5 pages of this thread in one sitting. When did this community get such a dark side? The amount of bitchin' and moanin' based on a first update just a month later.....

+1000

Hey gessir, exactly my thoughts, thanks for summing it up. The worst is that actually most of the complaints just make no sense...
Wellcome to bitwig kvr forum! Its allways like this! Drama and cats

Mehhh , consumerism is ripe with discontent . It happens in every software forum :ud: . This Daw sets itself apart from the others in many ways, a ship to uncharted territory, it's not a surprise that many people have opinions on the direction it should take, enjoy the ride !
Last edited by ss8826 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I believe posting this log is okay, per the beta test invite-email I received. Though someone please alert me if not:

"
Best wishes from the Bitwig team!

P.S:
As this is a beta software, it's important to remember the following points:
- Do not use the beta to work on important projects!
- Project files created with the beta can not be opened in previous versions of Bitwig Studio.
- You can tweet, talk, write and publish videos on the beta, but please mention that you're showing the beta.
"

ALL CHANGELOG ENTRIES BELOW PERTAIN TO BETA & ALPHA 2.1.

Changes in Bitwig Studio 2.1 Beta 1
Released on 29.03.2017.
FIXED - Auto-suspend of some plugins is causing audio glitches.
FIXED - MIDI Clock Offset now use the same direction as Audio Recording Offset: positive values means earlier.
FIXED - Regression in 2.1 Alpha 4: Notes accidentally delayed by one buffer on tracks, causing arpeggiator to work bad.
FIXED - MIDI Clock Master sends incorrect SPP beat time on jump while playing.
FIXED - MIDI Clock slave was too slow to catch up.
FIXED - Crash when opening old projects in some cases.
IMPROVED - Configure the MIDI Clock offset in milliseconds.

Changes in Bitwig Studio 2.1 Alpha 4
Released on 24.03.2017.
FIXED - Regression in 2.1 Alpha 2: Pitch bend automation is no longer delay compensated.
FIXED - MTC sends invalid messages.
FIXED - Regression in 2.1 Alpha 3: Engine crashes when playing songs made in 2.1 Alpha 2.

Changes in Bitwig Studio 2.1 Alpha 3
Released on 23.03.2017.
FIXED - Bad performance when scrolling through file browser for files that are on a network.
FIXED - Launcher audio clip plays silence if previously played clip ended with a fade out on a contained event while then next clip starts inside the events and both events have identical settings and refer to the same sample.
FIXED - ASIO didn't work with Realtek driver when using automatic sample-rate.
FIXED - Transport.isAutomationOverrideActive() does not notify callbacks when it changes.
FIXED - Regression on macOS in alpha-2: some VST-2 plugins with resizable window have incorrect size after opening the second time.
FIXED - Drag and Drop not working on Linux if absolute mouse mode is enabled in the preferences.
FIXED - Crash when adjusting value of two equal-timed automation events via inspector.
FIXED - Hiding and showing the layered editor sometimes results in the window being resized to an enormous size and showing distorted graphics.
FIXED - Deleting time range in raw audio event does not work correctly.
FIXED - Play stop marker on raw audio events not draggable when being zoomed in.
FIXED - Regression: wrong latency compensation when recording notes between tracks.
FIXED - Regression: VST3 state wasn't stored correctly.
FIXED - Regression in Alpha 2: Audio clip in timeline is muted in some circumstances.
FIXED - Unsupported format for WASAPI on Windows 7/8.1 if no sample-rate was selected.
FIXED - ASIO: Turning off the HW FX power button causes odd feedback behavior/noise.
FIXED - Behavior / Bounce bit depth setting has no effect.
FIXED - Note end might incorrectly show the masked-by-clip indicator when entering notes on triplet grid.
FIXED - When selecting clips on the arranger and dragging over the track header area clips start becoming unselected.
FIXED - Crash when pinning device cursor for a control surface in the IO panel.

Changes in Bitwig Studio 2.1 Alpha 2
Released on 17.03.2017.
FIXED - Amp crashes on some machines.
FIXED - Note Latch: toggle and velocity mode do not work properly.
FIXED - Engine crash on bounce.
FIXED - Under certain circumstances an extra note will be played outside clip boundaries.
FIXED - PDC Graph failed in 2.1 Alpha 1.
FIXED - iZotope Iris VST2 plugin window content looks shifted after resizing and then re-opening window.
FIXED - In drum editor, dragging in the background always erases notes independent of the selected tool.
FIXED - Cakewalk Z3Ta2 instant crash with VST3.
FIXED - Adding devices with plugin latency to the FB FX of delay 4 breaks PDC graph.
FIXED - Show presets for legacy devices by default.
FIXED - VST3 window resizable flag is interpreted incorrectly on macOS.
FIXED - Raw audio events might not get played for the expected duration when loading old projects.
FIXED - MIDI Program Change: fix PDC in the chain.
FIXED - Fix some issues with MIDI Song Position Pointers (slave and master).
IMPROVED - MIDI Clock Slave: stabilize the tempo variations.

Changes in Bitwig Studio 2.1 Alpha 1
Released on 09.03.2017.
NEW - Add quantize to Math modulator.
NEW - Amp device.
NEW - MIDI Channel Selector device.
NEW - MIDI slave support for transport sync.
NEW - Java API for development of custom control surface drivers.
FIXED - Midi CC device sends unwanted messages when scrolling through the CCs.
FIXED - Transposing multiple selected notes using keyboard shortcuts cuts existing notes when "passing through".
FIXED - On some windows machines the icons never show up due to trying to load Java assistive technologies.
FIXED - Dragging the DSP performance graph window to another display makes it disappear.
FIXED - When drawing automation with pencil tool while being zoomed-in very far into the timeline, the resulting events get thinned too much on mouse up.
FIXED - Crash when dropping device in device chain.
FIXED - Crash when trying to adjust fades on mixed selection of clips and meta clips.
FIXED - Crash when deleting beat marker by double-clicking on it in some cases.
FIXED - Crash when erasing notes in drum editor.
FIXED - Crash sometimes when closing the popup browser with a control surface connected.
FIXED - OSX engine crash when scanning Apollo audio devices.
IMPROVED - PDC: Monitoring latency less influenced by other tracks.
IMPROVED - Improved workflow for tracks which are routed to a note/MIDI destination (mute/solo/meters).
IMPROVED - Add a velocity knob to the note sidechain.
IMPROVED - Allow to paste events from the clipboard over selected events.
IMPROVED - Show playback follow button in each timeline editor panel (bottom right).
IMPROVED - Chain device can now output notes.
IMPROVED - Show a notification if we get an unbalanced PDC graph with a submit action that sends the PDC file in the bug report.
IMPROVED - Better erase tool in note editor.

The Bitwig Team have been busy since V2 just 4 weeks ago! I wasn't expecting any thing new with the first patch, just bug fixes. The fact that they threw in some really useful stuff (for me the midi stuff and the ability to sync using my Analog Rytm to start/stop the DAW...also playing with he idea of 2 synced Bitwigs, one outputting CV with ES-8, the other Bitwig using my main soundcard taking the Modular and all my other stuff in...all in sync. My head my explode with this....Win 10 is happy running to programs with 2 different AISO interfaces....)

Foe me, its a big :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Bitwig”