One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerofox97 wrote:https://soundcloud.com/zerothefox/wip-for-osc97/s-887CR
for the record, I don't particularly like the envelopes in this thing.
Awesome track BTW.
I was thinking the same. The envelope rates are all linear instead of exponential which sounds quite unnatural with longer decay or release rates.
Also it uses a strange poly voice assign mode similar to the old Roland MT-32 one. If you hit a note twice, it doesn't play it in the next voice channel but uses the same one by cutting off the previous note.
Yeah and that nasty Syncmode bug… Unfortunately it instantly overwrites the preset. Have to fix like 10 instances everytime I open the project in Reaper. Have even tried the multiple dll trick with no success. I'll try your tip with the automation.
Man, this thing is a beast, feels like turning my DAW into an action game fighting the end boss sometimes :D
Damn, only 3 days left. Hope I can still make it in time :)

That's exactly why I just made a little quicky without having to re-open the project. For the fun of it I did and pretty much half my presets are wrong. Seems that you have to pick init, which may have been the only "empty" sound in the built-in bank, which is the only reason this may not be overwritten at reload. So...I suppose, if at all possible, one would have to somehow switch to an empty bank before freely working with this thing OR carefully create your own bank and extend it for every new sound you make. So much pain for so little gain, but well... this stuff is challenging to code, I know that very well. :shrug:

I gave up a while back. the synth was just too frustrating to deal with. I honestly believe that it wasn't worth it, no matter what sounds I managed to choke out of it and no matter whatever I did to mitigate the sync issue.
It's very tasty, I swear!

What ever sync issue you're all talking about, I'm kinda giggling about it, because this whole thing is one big, complete issue, couldn't think of one single thing that wasn't somehow issue stricken. :lol: :tantrum: :lol:
BUT there one redeeming quality of it was that it made me not care so much and just do a little tune. Sometimes these wonderful synths (Sinnah, Digits, Charlatan and even Nabla, really, forgot some of the others names...Ah, synth1 ended up fascinating, too, and U-he's free one) can kind of pull me into a frenzy of working on a track over the course of weeks. This thing, though, I didn't expect to be able to open back up, which was the same fear I had with HY-Mono, though, that was unfounded and did end up reloading projects just fine. Anyway, so... it's great not to care too much and just make music with what you've got in the moment. Another interesting experience again! :)

But, yeah, the funniest horror happened. Soon after I posted it on soundcloud (which has troubles for me these days?!), a really nice guy posted a very sweet comment, how nice my choices for synthesizers were, hehe. So, I carefully clarified that it was just one and even named it again, Fortune Cookie 2012. He really nicely replies back how great that is and that he has to try this one, too. :o :shock: NNnnoooo.
Inside my head I saw this: :smack:

Anyway, I really don't want to rant about the synth. By the time one of my synths comes around, I'll have to face your wrath, I'm pretty sure... ...I'm a wee bit scared for sure. :pray:
Last edited by Taron on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zerofox97 wrote:I gave up a while back. the synth was just too frustrating to deal with. I honestly believe that it wasn't worth it, no matter what sounds I managed to choke out of it and no matter whatever I did to mitigate the sync issue.
That's a pity! After frustrating moments at the beginning the tipps of fellow forumers helped a lot to handle it. The essential tipp was to automate the sync mode of any channel in order to preserver the settings.
And actually cubase handled the other settings very well, so I didn't have to invest extra effort in saving presets or whatsoever...okay afer I found out that I better start cubase 8 in admin mode ;-) In the end I was really happy to take the challenge rather than following my first impluse of giving up as well to avoiding the frustration ;-) However, I can understand that you gave up...If I had already thrown Cubase 8.5 from my disc, I would have given up as well because Cubase 9 does not offer 32 bit support anymore. Seems like we are at a turning point in time...32 bit plugins will soon be the exception rather than the norm...bad for gems like hg fotunes stuff which will not be recompiled to 64bits.

Hello:)

Listen to:
https://soundcloud.com/hcspba6kaudq/denbaum-wind-zone

DAW: Ableton Live
Instances: 10 x F-Cookie
Ableton Live FX: EQ8 x 8, Compressor x 8, Glue Compressor x 1, Saturator x 1, Reverb x 1, Limiter x 1

https://soundcloud.com/peter-macmurchy/ ... ookie-2012

psmacmur - Vulputate (Fortune Cookie 2012)
My entry for KVR One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012

This one's pretty much just techno. The month kinda got away from me, so it's not much musically at all, but mixing wise, it's my first foray into mid-side processing; nothing sophisticated, just basic usage of MSED and Density Mk III in MS mode.

Made in Studio One 3.3.1 x64

16 cookies, I mean instances, in the project.

DAW FX:
Multi Instrument x2
Compressor x5
ProEQ x15
Spectrum Meter x1
Tricomp x1
VU Meter x1

Free FX:
A1StereoControl-x64 x1
Density MkIII x3
epicVerb x1
Ferric TDS x1
Limiter No6 x1
MJUC Jr x1
MSED x2
OTT x1
RoughRider x1
Roth-AIR x4
Saturation Knob x3
Slick HDR x1
Stereo Touch x1
TAL Reverb-2 x2
TAL Reverb-3 x1
TAL Reverb-4 x3
Thrillseeker LA x1
WG Doffset x11

DR7

] Peter:H [ wrote: That's a pity! After frustrating moments at the beginning the tipps of fellow forumers helped a lot to handle it. The essential tipp was to automate the sync mode of any channel in order to preserver the settings.
And actually cubase handled the other settings very well, so I didn't have to invest extra effort in saving presets or whatsoever...okay afer I found out that I better start cubase 8 in admin mode ;-) In the end I was really happy to take the challenge rather than following my first impluse of giving up as well to avoiding the frustration ;-) However, I can understand that you gave up...If I had already thrown Cubase 8.5 from my disc, I would have given up as well because Cubase 9 does not offer 32 bit support anymore. Seems like we are at a turning point in time...32 bit plugins will soon be the exception rather than the norm...bad for gems like hg fotunes stuff which will not be recompiled to 64bits.
I did automate the sync. But the envelopes were just too horrible for me to use. The drums were too frustrating to create. Sure people liked what i was working on, but never again. I don't want to see this synth ever again.
It's very tasty, I swear!

Hmmm...I had fun making my kick. WG-Doffset on [bass drop] directly after the instance really removed the release click, too. But, yeah, I didn't even bother trying to make a noise! :shrug:

zerofox97 wrote: I did automate the sync. But the envelopes were just too horrible for me to use. The drums were too frustrating to create. Sure people liked what i was working on, but never again. I don't want to see this synth ever again.
I know what you mean. I have tackled that with just some percussive base sound coming from the synth and then letting the cubase plugins of the leash like the multibandenvelopeshaper...
And I clearly seperated the frequency spectrum - the bass is separated from the atonal kick (low mids and upwards), the bass is then played in tune...read this in an magazine articel about "supernatural bass sound".
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taron wrote:Hmmm...I had fun making my kick. WG-Doffset on [bass drop] directly after the instance really removed the release click, too. But, yeah, I didn't even bother trying to make a noise! :shrug:
Me too! My kick though in the track is more of a background "thud" timed with some of the bass notes (that's really all I needed it to do, rather than a track which needs the kick to really drive it!!!). I did make a reasonable noise for crashes, tambs, hats etc ... (well, as best I could with this synth).

An odd beast for sure, and with "challenging issues" ...

Hope you like my quite conservative track this time round.

dB

This a good Challenge. One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune :)

Hi here is my entry a bit basic but hey what the heck, kinda got stuck on making drum sounds then gave up.Thought may as well post what I did come up with.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-edwards-11/spacehouse

Composed basics in Ableton 9. Then flattened a couple of tracks and imported to Reaper and embellished.

15 Instances of the synth

FX

REA EQ, REA COMP , REA DELAY
FERRIC TDS
Voxengo Oldskool verb
UP stereo free version
Ableton Reverb
DCAM freecomp
TLS Maximizer
Aradaz Maximizer
Freeverb 2
Thrillseeker XTC

Next time please a synth with a Noise OSC!!!!

Also have a question for next time. I have a maschine, can I use that in say Ableton or Reaper using only sound from the OSC synth along with the stock fx in Maschine ??

Hey everyone,

My track with fortune cookie. Like most people here, I had trouble with its quirks, but it certainly has some character :)

https://soundcloud.com/zarf/zarf-far-better-light

39 Cookies in Ableton
Ableton Eqs, Compressors, Reverb, Delay, Midi fx, bit of Auto-pan, Limiter
Ferric TDS

Enjoy and good luck to all in the challenge :D

So, I made it, this is my 2nd OSC, unfortunately I didn't have as much time as I had for the previous one.

Good luck to everyone.

https://soundcloud.com/petereke/abandon ... ng-process

Renoise

17 Cookies

46 Mixing tracks

I used a bunch of internal effects of the following type:
Send Compressor Delay EQ5 EQ10 Gainer BusCompressor Reverb Gate AnalogFilter
StereoX mpReverb DigitalFilter SignalFollower InstrumentAutomation

Return to “Instruments”