Getting Omnisphere 2... or not?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 2

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Wikipedia wrote:A rompler is an electronic music instrument that plays pre fabricated sounds based on audio samples. In contrast to samplers, romplers do not record audio and have limited or no capability for generating original [sampled] sounds. The term rompler is a portmanteau of the terms ROM and sampler. Both may have additional sound editing features, such as layering several waveforms and modulation with ADSR envelopes and LFOs.
The term rompler most often describes sample based software instruments such as VSTis. These do not have the ability to record new samples; instead, samples are replayed from computer RAM after they are loaded from disk.
Therefore, it comes down to each ones opinion of it's limitations.
A rompler, with limits. But includes other engines as well which can be played separately or layered.

BBFG# wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:A rompler is an electronic music instrument that plays pre fabricated sounds based on audio samples. In contrast to samplers, romplers do not record audio and have limited or no capability for generating original [sampled] sounds. The term rompler is a portmanteau of the terms ROM and sampler. Both may have additional sound editing features, such as layering several waveforms and modulation with ADSR envelopes and LFOs.
The term rompler most often describes sample based software instruments such as VSTis. These do not have the ability to record new samples; instead, samples are replayed from computer RAM after they are loaded from disk.
Therefore, it comes down to each ones opinion of it's limitations.
A rompler, with limits. But includes other engines as well which can be played separately or layered.
Oh go on, one final nightcap. Not that Wikipedia would stand up in court, but it reads as perfectly reasonable so let's go with it - your interpretation would be, um, highly creative. The clue is there in the first sentence really, isn't it? The context is comparing a ROMpler with a SAMpler, which it goes onto explain in some depth.

I really can't believe I'm typing this again, but here it is - since day one, when creating a sound in Omni, your first choice is to choose samples or internally generated synth waveforms, and go on from there. 50/50, as your very first decision in creating a sound. But let's say you want to argue that this isn't representative of the scope of the thing, and the synth part is an afterthought. True, Omni didn't have granular and morphing wavetables on day one, but neither does a Moog Modular. Just because Omni has a vast sample pool, in no way does that detract from what its VA engine is able to accomplish. If you recall, the original comparison was that it was "just like Nexus", which is absolutely is not - again, not based on opinion, but on facts. Good luck creating your VA patch from scratch in Nexus.

Of course people can say they don't think much of the Omni VA engine and that's perfectly fine and entirely up to them, but even in the most generous-spirited, wildy hyperbolic and creative interpretation of a Wikipedia entry, you can't pin the term ROMpler on Omni as the video I linked (that funnily enough no-one wants to acknowledge) shows.

But there we are - yaaaaawn, I'm aware I've said variations of this sort of thing many times, and it really is time to down this nightcap and once and for all call it a day, week, month, year and century for my lonely contributions to this stale-popcorn-munching thread. But if you'll indulge as I sum up the case for the prosecution - I'm hugely critical of aspects of Omnisphere 2 in particular, so I don't easily fit the fanboy taunt. I've chaired the music jury for the UK's RTS awards, so I don't appear to be an obvious chancer, and the taxman knows how much I earn professionally from music and I think he would tend to agree. I can't really explain why I hang around KVR at all, given these kinds of spiralling-downwards threads. I only really care when people consistently use falsehoods, not opinions, to denigrate professional tools used by countless professionals. BBFG, of course here you will say "but there's nothing wrong with ROMplers" and I'd agree with you, but in my experience it is typically used in KVRland as a taunt to denote the opposite of a creative product used by people with skill. And yes, that does consistently irritate, because it is factually false in the case of Omnisphere.

Different things float all our boats, and that's a fine thing. Just because tens of thousands of talented people rate a product does not mean any one person should also find it inspiring or like it in any way at all. This is all fine and good, I'm delighted the OP has found their own way that works for them. Maybe.... just maybe... that's something we can all agree on.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

ghettosynth wrote:Does Omnisphere work well for space orchestra sounds? I have a project that will sound like the band in the original Star Wars, only more orchestral. Sort of like Star Wars meets The 5th Element, kind of. I want the sounds to be believable, but, otherworldly.
If by "space orchestra" you mean mellotron, yeah it can do that. But since you're talking about space-cantina bands, uh. Yeah, you know? It can probably do that, too. Plenty of weird shit to layer up on the traditional sounds. You won't get any juicy realism out of it though.

For a touch of soul and imperfection, you could use a junk pitch shifter that has a slower-than-normally-useful detection algorithm, that or set the detector to low frequencies so it's JUST slow enough to add a blip here and there at the start of a note. That's all gritty and sci-fi. If you've got Trilian too, formant-shift the upright bass a little bit. Gets nice and alien and has some pretty alright humanization.

emotica wrote: Last, from where this thread actually started, I exchanged Spire for Hive as my *go to* synth, but that's a totally different subject overall... :hihi:
Can you explain why you made this decision

twal wrote:
emotica wrote: Last, from where this thread actually started, I exchanged Spire for Hive as my *go to* synth, but that's a totally different subject overall... :hihi:
I can try...

Spire is a great synth. It has its very own character when it comes to actual sound. Mind you that I also own a license for Sylenth1 which I currently keep uninstalled on my backup drive. So we are talking about Spire, Sylenth1 and Hive that are now in the ring. I don't want Spire, Sylenth and Hive sitting next to each other when browsing for a synth to insert... yea, I'm like that. ;) In a perfect world I would be allowed to sell Sylenth1, but it's NFR.

There are simple things that put Hive for me apart. The browsing experience in Spire is okay, but Hive is simply put more decent. Step-sequencer recording. Modulation assignment aka ease of use. Three characters to choose from. Partial presets.

In the end you could sum it up as me being to lazy currently to dive deeper into Spire. I bet if I would install it again and play with it for a day, I would be like "no way I'm selling this", then I would be thinking about Sylenth1 again and how I have it *forever* and reinstall that as well... :hihi:

I know most people are perfectly fine with god knows how many plug-ins installed and putting them all to good use. This is just that weird part of me, going bananas over my setup, hoping that GAS will stop soon and rather exchanging than adding things. The same reason I couldn't bring myself to pick up Omnisphere is the same reason I don't want a synth around that I feel like I'm not using as much, when I can still get some funds back from it.

emotica wrote:I know most people are perfectly fine with god knows how many plug-ins installed and putting them all to good use. This is just that weird part of me, going bananas over my setup, hoping that GAS will stop soon and rather exchanging than adding things. The same reason I couldn't bring myself to pick up Omnisphere is the same reason I don't want a synth around that I feel like I'm not using as much, when I can still get some funds back from it.
Sage wisdom right there.

But just so you know, at least a few peeps here have to keep stuff installed for compatibility with old projects and future collab. It's just how it is.

Personally, I rotate my favorites to keep myself from getting stuck into one "ideal" workflow. I tend to make all the same shit over and over if I let myself dig my heels in. Good that you more creative types can avoid dealing with that.

Armagibbon wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Does Omnisphere work well for space orchestra sounds? I have a project that will sound like the band in the original Star Wars, only more orchestral. Sort of like Star Wars meets The 5th Element, kind of. I want the sounds to be believable, but, otherworldly.
If by "space orchestra" you mean mellotron, yeah it can do that. But since you're talking about space-cantina bands, uh. Yeah, you know? It can probably do that, too. Plenty of weird shit to layer up on the traditional sounds. You won't get any juicy realism out of it though.
I'm looking for spacey realism. Realistic sci-fi sounds that haven't been invented yet, but are realistic.

:lol:
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

ghettosynth wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:
I'm looking for spacey realism. Realistic sci-fi sounds that haven't been invented yet, but are realistic.
Yeah, yeah I get it.

So by "realism" I mean subtle shit and foley you don't want on top of a mix, but normally can't be removed because it takes out the soul or would take too much time to cut out. Like fret noise, scraped strings, breathing, brushing clothes, and tiny mistakes in the performance that won't catch a listener's ear the first time through. All that.

Omni has a lot of little sounds you can layer up to give the impression of being "realistic" like that. Tapping lightbulbs and bowed bike tires and shit. When you put that together with the traditional instruments, and tastefully f*ck with some pitch fx, you can get otherworldly yet still familiar realistic sounds like Johnny did for his cantina band.

Armagibbon wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:
Yeah, yeah I get it.

So by "realism" I mean subtle shit and foley you don't want on top of a mix, but normally can't be removed because it takes out the soul or would take too much time to cut out. Like fret noise, scraped strings, breathing, brushing clothes, and tiny mistakes in the performance that won't catch a listener's ear the first time through. All that.

Omni has a lot of little sounds you can layer up to give the impression of being "realistic" like that. Tapping lightbulbs and bowed bike tires and shit. When you put that together with the traditional instruments, and tastefully f*ck with some pitch fx, you can get otherworldly yet still familiar realistic sounds like Johnny did for his cantina band.
That just sounds complicated...it seems like this is a complicated instrument.

emotica wrote:
twal wrote:
I can try...

Spire is a great synth. It has its very own character when it comes to actual sound. Mind you that I also own a license for Sylenth1 which I currently keep uninstalled on my backup drive. So we are talking about Spire, Sylenth1 and Hive that are now in the ring. I don't want Spire, Sylenth and Hive sitting next to each other when browsing for a synth to insert... yea, I'm like that. ;) In a perfect world I would be allowed to sell Sylenth1, but it's NFR.

There are simple things that put Hive for me apart. The browsing experience in Spire is okay, but Hive is simply put more decent. Step-sequencer recording. Modulation assignment aka ease of use. Three characters to choose from. Partial presets.

In the end you could sum it up as me being to lazy currently to dive deeper into Spire. I bet if I would install it again and play with it for a day, I would be like "no way I'm selling this", then I would be thinking about Sylenth1 again and how I have it *forever* and reinstall that as well... :hihi:

I know most people are perfectly fine with god knows how many plug-ins installed and putting them all to good use. This is just that weird part of me, going bananas over my setup, hoping that GAS will stop soon and rather exchanging than adding things. The same reason I couldn't bring myself to pick up Omnisphere is the same reason I don't want a synth around that I feel like I'm not using as much, when I can still get some funds back from it.
I am the same way. I know that every synth sounds different, but I just don't like the idea of needing several synths that do similar things just as options. If you have a lot of money and don't mind having all these licenses and backups and plugins in your daw, then go for it. I prefer to simplify, and pick something that covers a general task and know it to a high level. I would prefer to spend my money on learning-programs, effects plugins, and samples than several hundred dollars or thousands just so I can "get that Spire feel when I need it" and that "sylenth1 supersaw". Music is music, and any one of these aforementioned synths can get the job done. Honestly, I truly doubt that many of the people who visit KVR are more focused on the music, rather than collecting as hobby. Now, having a modular, a special fx, ambient, realistic modeling, and morphing synths all for different purposes feels a little more realistic to me. Of course these are all priorities and those may change, but I like sticking with specific developers that have A, B, C going on for them to keep me feeling like my investment is the best one. In the world of plugins, it's easy to stack up a bunch of stuff. Downgrading can lead to inspiration in the end.

emotica wrote:

I find the ease of use of Hive a compelling feature. Especially how easy it is to modulate just about anything including the effects. It invites a free flowing experimentation that is enjoyable. Ease of use and simplicity is perhaps under-rated!

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Hive-am.mp3

Does Omnisphere allow for selective installation of presets?

I’d like to install on my Surface Pro but don’t have the room or indeed desire to install all 80GB.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:Does Omnisphere allow for selective installation of presets?

I’d like to install on my Surface Pro but don’t have the room or indeed desire to install all 80GB.
ive always thought they should offer the synth with a bank of 128 basic patches
for $19.95
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”