The most underestimated synths...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cron wrote:
Unless that genre is "bad music". Boy, doesn't that complicate shit?
I happen to be an entirely unironic connoisseur! Car-crash entertainment isn't only for TV. Here's an excellent place to start. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_in_the_Key_of_Z
Thanks for that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTdILHges6o

Steinberg Retrologue 2

Armagibbon wrote:
But then there's shit like the "soundtrack" to this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik

Yeah, who facerolled the sequencer and called it a day? I wouldn't even call it music, but by waggy's standards not only is it music, it's not even bad because that's subjective.
So, why is this any different from 4'33" or that damned 100 metronomes thing?

I'm not a fan of this, per se, but, I do some things with similar intent to this because it's interesting what happens psychoacoustically after listening to it for a while. Really, I'm fine with the intent, I'm just not a fan of the sound of this. I'd slow it down and stretch it out to about three hours. In fact, that sounds like a project, brb.

cron wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:I wouldn't even call it music, but by waggy's standards not only is it music, it's not even bad because that's subjective.
Yeah, you probably shouldn't read my thoughts about that on the previous page. :lol: :hug:
Here's the thing. Something being good or bad comes from whether it's fit for duty. It's context. Production music like soundtrack needs to work with the material.

All the examples I've given here? They're bad at what they do. They're bad music. Outside of that context? Hell, go hog. Try and enjoy it if you really want to! I won't stop you. Meanwhile, I could try and produce some outsider music that could end up bad for anyone who likes that stuff, but someone else who doesn't get it might think it's vanilla whatever or even good because they come in with different expectations, different context.

But yeah, the purpose of that music, what it was made to do? It failed at that, so I'd say that means it's bad. Objectively bad. That can even be its own genre: fail music! Is that a thing yet?

ghettosynth wrote:I'd slow it down and stretch it out to about three hours. In fact, that sounds like a project, brb.
shit's gonna be A E S T H E T I C

Has someone ever start a poll at which page/post the average KVR thread get out of control?
:D
I mean after page 3 or so everyone could write "bla bla bla"......
Yeah, i know i´m not better too. We are just humans i guess.
We are Borg could solve the "problem" of different opinions :borg:
So let´s get me out of topic too and i wish you all a nice Sunday. Calm down! Life sucks enough...

Armagibbon wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I'd slow it down and stretch it out to about three hours. In fact, that sounds like a project, brb.
I'm digging it. Gonna wrap this one up and tie a bow on it. Turned out an hour was about right. Time to go fill up someone else's hard drives.

Subjective?
The brain and biology that produce the action are not subjective, and neither is the brains biological material that produces the ideas about it.
The better word to describe such is relational and that we are speaking about degrees or levels, where they can only be related to some other thing/example.
Not really fitting the "it's all subjective" labeling.
There is nothing that is completely or all subjective as it would be required not to have something objectively linked to it, or have no objective origins.

ghettosynth wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:
I'm digging it. Gonna wrap this one up and tie a bow on it. Turned out an hour was about right. Time to go fill up someone else's hard drives.
Link it when you drop it?

I need to hear this. Crazy Bus being listenable is a new summit for humanity.

jancivil wrote:
sfd wrote: porly made just means something doesn't meet your requests.
Well I mentioned a Walmart umbrella that broke into piece first rainstorm.
It's a coincidence that I need something better made rather than throw 3 bucks in the trash, yeah?
That's just incredibly dumb.

And yeah, there is music that's just slapped together. If you lack the tools to discern the difference, that's sad.
Yes, becase that umbrella doesn't live up to what we're after.

This is uusaly not a problem as long as we agree about what we're looking for.

In other cases we valuate, requests, strives for diferent properties. This varies from person to person. And so it's subjective. Which should not be missunderstood as individuals can't agree oir share opinions and values. Like we do in the case of the umbrella. But not necessarily in the case of a synthesizer or sound or movies or a pice of art or music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPuH1yeZ08

If you don't know this you should listen to it in full once.

----

A synth that doesn't make any sound is surely a bad synth, as the whole point of a synth is to make sound. Sure, it might be a great doorstop (HW) or CPU hog (software), but it's not a good synth. That might sound stupid, but sometimes you have to take things to extremes to illustrate a point. This is what jan and jon are saying - there are some qualities that an object needs to have to be that object. A hole in the ground cannot be a table. A guitar makes a poor vehicle of choice.

I guess you could bang the HW synth and sample that as the basis for your songs, but that's taking everything very much ad absurdum.

@sjm Did you read my post on page 26? :-)

tripleflows wrote:Steinberg Retrologue 2
Yes I agree. It has a very nice sound with very low cpu usage. Retrologue 2 expanded in many things from Retrologue 1 (also the price!).

But it has 3 cons for me, and maybe because of those cons, people are not so inclined to use it:
1- Problematic with e-licenser software (I don't know why I had continuous problems with it and with Padshop Pro). Those problems disappeared when I purchased a USB e-licenser and moved the licenses to it.

2- The GUI interface is small compared to other synths (no other sizes to switch to).

3- There is annoying noise sometimes, like clipping! But I can solve it by turning down little bit the Amplifier Level knob.

Anyway, I really love Retrologue 2. It can do great thick analogish pads that only could be gotten with synths like Diva and LuSH 101.

sfd wrote:@sjm Did you read my post on page 26? :-)

Yes.

If you are going to define a guitar as "a mode of transport" and then say your volvo is a great guitar, it doesn't invalidate what jan/jon said.

sjm wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPuH1yeZ08

If you don't know this you should listen to it in full once.
I do, I don't like the proposition behind it, but meh.
A synth that doesn't make any sound is surely a bad synth, as the whole point of a synth is to make sound. Sure, it might be a great doorstop (HW) or CPU hog (software), but it's not a good synth. That might sound stupid, but sometimes you have to take things to extremes to illustrate a point. This is what jan and jon are saying - there are some qualities that an object needs to have to be that object. A hole in the ground cannot be a table. A guitar makes a poor vehicle of choice.

I guess you could bang the HW synth and sample that as the basis for your songs, but that's taking everything very much ad absurdum.

So, if a necessary property of a good synth is that it must make sound, and a necessary property of good transportation is that it must transport, then what is the necessary property of "good music?"

And again, is 4'33" good music?

Return to “Instruments”