Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Alright, it seems you could opt out from installing the gobbler app, but you can't opt out from linking your account. My bad.

Kypresso wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:
shidostrife wrote:You could download the installers directly from softube's site. They make it sounds like you have to use gobbler, but you don't really need to.
Yes, you can download the product from the Softube, but you can't use it (longer) without the registration, and there you are directed to the Gobbler. If you really know how to avoid giving your iLok account password to Gobbler, please write it here. :pray:
You have to give gobbler your ilok password?

Please tell me you are joking.
It looks like you are giving Gobbler you password but you aren't. You are only linking the accounts. Pace has verified this. There are threads about it here and on GS. It is safe. This doesn't mean I like it. As I said, I will not buy another Softube plug-in because it is not worth dealing with it for me. I have too many plugs already to need them. And yes you can download directly from Softube, but they make it really difficult to find the files.

dzilizzi wrote:
Kypresso wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:
shidostrife wrote:You could download the installers directly from softube's site. They make it sounds like you have to use gobbler, but you don't really need to.
Yes, you can download the product from the Softube, but you can't use it (longer) without the registration, and there you are directed to the Gobbler. If you really know how to avoid giving your iLok account password to Gobbler, please write it here. :pray:
You have to give gobbler your ilok password?

Please tell me you are joking.
It looks like you are giving Gobbler you password but you aren't. You are only linking the accounts. Pace has verified this. There are threads about it here and on GS. It is safe. This doesn't mean I lkike it. As I said, I will not buy another Softube plug-in because it is not worth dealing with it for me. I have too many plugs already to need them. And yes you can download directly from Softube, but they make it really difficult to find the files.
There are several threads of this matter, everywhere. But no-one seems to get the answer to following basic questions:
1)What is Gobblers role, what is the add-on value when we have the iLok/PACE?
2) If you "just make the link", what is this link exactly and its additional security risks of that? The rules?
3) If you give your iLok account name and the password, shouldn't there be in the iLok/PACE site some information about the Gobbler role, and in your iLok account an separate option "create a Gobbler link". In this way the PACE was responsible of the possible security risks.
Giving your valuable account password is a big thing, the rules should be clear.
In this way iLok made this legitimate.
4) I have asked these things from the Softube and the PACE. No response.
If all this Gobbler case is so safe and transparent, why they have not made any official announcement of all these rules.

If the Softube takes care of the above fundaments, I'm happy to buy their products and use their registration system.

All in all, the whole Gobbler case is a school book example of badly handled marketing communication towards those who pay the bill, the customers.

I have Gobbler installed, and overall it's not that bad. I think the worst part is just figuring out how to work it every time I have to install, and authorize a new product. It's like reading a foreign language. Lol! However, once I slow down and READ the instructions (the 2nd or 3rd time thru), it totally goes without a hitch. I understand the resentment toward it but really, it'seems not so terrible that I wouldn't buy another Softube plug. It's just that initial WTF moment that stays with me when I open the Gobbler app.

W23 wrote:I have Gobbler installed, and overall it's not that bad. I think the worst part is just figuring out how to work it every time I have to install, and authorize a new product. It's like reading a foreign language. Lol! However, once I slow down and READ the instructions (the 2nd or 3rd time thru), it totally goes without a hitch. I understand the resentment toward it but really, it'seems not so terrible that I wouldn't buy another Softube plug. It's just that initial WTF moment that stays with me when I open the Gobbler app.
I wasn't even referred to the Gobbler software, just the Gobbler link
(note: there are two ways to use the Gobbler, or three if you count 'no use', so far my way).
Gobbler/Softube policy prevents my additional Softube purchases, even the use of already bought Softube plugin.

W23 wrote:I have Gobbler installed, and overall it's not that bad. I think the worst part is just figuring out how to work it every time I have to install, and authorize a new product. It's like reading a foreign language. Lol! However, once I slow down and READ the instructions (the 2nd or 3rd time thru), it totally goes without a hitch. I understand the resentment toward it but really, it'seems not so terrible that I wouldn't buy another Softube plug. It's just that initial WTF moment that stays with me when I open the Gobbler app.
For me, the third time I got an error message during the install part, and it deleted the downloaded files, I gave up. Gobbler is a storage app more than a security app. I think they are mainly used to track the subscription users because Softube doesn't have the ability to do it themselves.

Pace has stated you are logging into your Pace account and Gobbler does not have access to your account. I believe the linking is again mainly for the subscription accounts so that Gobbler can pull the iLok license when your subscription runs out or keep ithe active if you continue to pay. I know Avid puts an expiration date on my iLok annual update license. After that date it doesn't work - well in my case the perpetual license still works. Not sure why Gobbler can't do it that way.

This Gobbler discussion has nothing to do about deals. Maybe start another thread for those interested to continue this discussion? Thanks.

LOL! Have you ever seen a thread that doesn't go off topic here?

dzilizzi wrote:LOL! Have you ever seen a thread that doesn't go off topic here?
Yes, but now it's for pages about the same technical subject. When Softube released their Volume 1 bundle and changed their installation system through Gobbler, their was a Softube thread where people were complaining about the same subject for pages and pages. Softube and Gobbler are now well aware of the reaction of many buyers.

I have Volume 1 and installed Gobbler app to install Volume 1. I then desinstalled Gobbler because I hate that it kept popping everytime I booted my computer.

So, I think the subject have been discussed enough here and that's why I asked politely to start another thread if some people want to continue discussing this off-topic subject.

Ryan99 wrote:This Gobbler discussion has nothing to do about deals. Maybe start another thread for those interested to continue this discussion? Thanks.
I think it has a lot to do with the deal that led me to ask the original question. I was going to purchase the deal that i saw here but now, after getting lots of replies explaining what happens with gobbler, i'm not going to purchase it.
So it seems to me its provided a valuable service to me and any others who may have been interested in this deal.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Using Softube here and never go near Gobbler, no need other than having to create an account when you first register your plugs. I don't even remember setting it up.

I download from softubes site and authorise via iLok app, that's it, no Gobbler .

I've just now logged into Gobbler to see what it's about and see immediately you can unlink your iLok account from Gobbler.
You can cancel your account at the bottom of the same page.
I suggest you then login into your iLok account and change your password either way, if youre that worried.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

MogwaiBoy wrote:PSA: everyplugin are now accepting the Waves survey voucher so those $24 plugins are now $14.

EDIT: I take that back - the voucher equates to a $6 discount at checkout, I guess due to the already embedded discount. Still, it's better than the DK39S code.
Where are you guys getting these vouchers from? I have a Waves account and multiple products but haven't received any email regarding a survey.

My settings are set to receive all email and there's nothing in my spambox :(
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Using Softube here and never go near Gobbler, no need other than having to create an account when you first register your plugs. I don't even remember setting it up.

I download from softubes site and authorise via iLok app, that's it, no Gobbler .

I've just now logged into Gobbler to see what it's about and see immediately you can unlink your iLok account from Gobbler.
You can cancel your account at the bottom of the same page.
I suggest you then login into your iLok account and change your password either way, if youre that worried.
That's not possible with the reg.number which you get when you buy a license, e.g. from the Audio deluxe.
To license via the iLok Manager, you need to redeem the product Activation code.
The Activation code is not the same as the product code you get when you buy the license, getting the Activation code you need to REGISTER your Softube plugin, and there you need the Gobbler. Unfortunately.
That is the case.
If you know some some other way, please share it here.

Yawn at the Gobbler discussion. Start a new thread please.

evilantal wrote:Where are you guys getting these vouchers from? I have a Waves account and multiple products but haven't received any email regarding a survey.
Take their survey to earn a $10 voucher

http://links.waves-audio.com/a/750/clic ... a99f9c0c98

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”