Windows 10... has the dust settled?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... ndamp-8-1/

Quote:
GitHub user Zeffy has created a patch that removes a limitation that Microsoft imposed on users of 7th generation processors, a limit that prevents users from receiving Windows updates if they still use Windows 7 and 8.1.

This limitation was delivered through Windows Update KB4012218 (March 2017 Patch Tuesday) and has made many owners of Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Bristol Ridge CPUs very angry last week, as they weren't able to install any Windows updates.

Microsoft's move was controversial, but the company did its due diligence, and warned customers of its intention since January 2016, giving users enough time to update to Windows 10, move to a new OS, or downgrade their CPU, if they needed to remain on Windows 7 or 8.1 for various reasons.

When the April 2017 Patch Tuesday came around last week, GitHub user Zeffy finally had the chance to test four batch scripts he created in March, after the release of KB4012218.

His scripts worked as intended by patching Windows DLL files, skipping the CPU version check, and delivering updates to Windows 7 and 8.1 computers running 7th generation CPUs.

fedexnman wrote:Had to reauthorize Waveform , Biotek , Collective , DAW essentials .....They are all Tracktion Software Company stuff ..... No biggie ... All my other stuff is fine ... Windows Defender is now where you can't turn it off .... They really locking the doors on somethings it seems .... I guess if my DAW , Audio Interface , and Plugins work I don't care ... But man they are getting to be like that other company now .
Don't confuse the Defender with the new "Security Center" thingie in the task bar. It's not the Defender, it's something like "Security and maintainance", or however it was called, in the control panel. Don't worry, you can turn off Defender.

metamorphosis wrote:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... ndamp-8-1/

Quote:
GitHub user Zeffy has created a patch that removes a limitation that Microsoft imposed on users of 7th generation processors, a limit that prevents users from receiving Windows updates if they still use Windows 7 and 8.1.

This limitation was delivered through Windows Update KB4012218 (March 2017 Patch Tuesday) and has made many owners of Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Bristol Ridge CPUs very angry last week, as they weren't able to install any Windows updates.

Microsoft's move was controversial, but the company did its due diligence, and warned customers of its intention since January 2016, giving users enough time to update to Windows 10, move to a new OS, or downgrade their CPU, if they needed to remain on Windows 7 or 8.1 for various reasons.

When the April 2017 Patch Tuesday came around last week, GitHub user Zeffy finally had the chance to test four batch scripts he created in March, after the release of KB4012218.

His scripts worked as intended by patching Windows DLL files, skipping the CPU version check, and delivering updates to Windows 7 and 8.1 computers running 7th generation CPUs.
I dont know what this article is about. You can NOT install Windows 7or 8 on Kaby Lake and Rysen. I only have Kaby Lake, and I have tried- it failed. It been announced before Kaby release. So the only way anyone could have Win 7 or 8 running with Kaby is if they upgraded the processor while Windows 7 or 8 were already installed on the drive. This would not apply to new installations, not with Z270 motherboards either.

Pretty sure you should be able to install Win7/8 on those processors if you keep the install disconnected from the internet and hence unable to download the updates which prevent them being used, but regardless it's good news for users of those CPUs before the patch hit.

The latest cool thing Windows 10 does is that if you have an update that fails, your computer will start constantly rebooting after a few weeks and then if you don't find a way to force the update onto the HD a month within that time it will actually wipe out your MBR.

Owner of the IT and software company I used to work for confirmed this...
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

rifftrax wrote:The latest cool thing Windows 10 does is that if you have an update that fails, your computer will start constantly rebooting after a few weeks and then if you don't find a way to force the update onto the HD a month within that time it will actually wipe out your MBR.

If this was in a novel readers would scoff in derision because it's too far-fetched...

I am not getting the creators update.

I did go online today, and checked for updates, installed those.

This updated Windows 10 to version 1607

Checked for updates again, but I am now told that my device is up to date.

But creators update is version 1703.

So why am I not getting that, do they roll out these updates based on geography?

Edit: Found the explanation: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi ... xperience/

rifftrax wrote:The latest cool thing Windows 10 does is that if you have an update that fails, your computer will start constantly rebooting after a few weeks and then if you don't find a way to force the update onto the HD a month within that time it will actually wipe out your MBR.

Source?

metamorphosis wrote:

Source?
imagination land

Rifftrax land.

Had a quick search and can't find any evidence to support this claim
Amazon: why not use an alternative

And given Windows 10 has been out for nearly two years now I doubt such a serious fault of 'wiping the boot record a month after an update fail' would've been kept under wraps !

And wouldn't the 'property damage' lawyers be having a field day? (Unless, of course, the Windows 10 EULA absolves Microsoft from any and all consequences.)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

metamorphosis wrote:

Source?
It is a late attempt at an April Fools joke ;)

In a way it is strange how we so easily take a statement for granted.

I almost fell for one of the tricks of this "joker" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4uUXRcDZBw

Just because it is posted on youtube it has to be true right ? That is what I thought :dog: :oops:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”