ilok licenses on a dead hard drive?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for replying, it sure helps!

I think if I get the same errors on my 2nd computer I'll just transfer the licences to a new iLok the way you did, hopefully it will be ok then.

Yes, but paying 30$ per year just to be sure you keep the stuff you already purchased is nonsense, from the point of a customer. If you want iLok to disappear (what would be great), you have to stop supporting vendors that require iLok.

Hi :D

I red that Zero Downtime and Theft and Loss Coverage are available as an option with the new iLok 3.
Does this mean that the services are still not free?

However at http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLok3/ you can read:

"Zero Downtime is immediately available for 3rd Generation iLoks. On a 3rd Generation iLok, the option Theft and Loss Coverage (TLC) may be enabled within iLok License Manager."

immediately available = free!

AlVi5 wrote:Hi

immediately available = free!
:roll:

It just means you can start paying it immediately when iLok3 is released. Eg zdt can be purchased for iLok3 at time of release.
No signature here!

alsms wrote:Yes, but paying 30$ per year just to be sure you keep the stuff you already purchased is nonsense, from the point of a customer. If you want iLok to disappear (what would be great), you have to stop supporting vendors that require iLok.
Absolutely! :tu:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Resurrecting an old thread to give my thoughts. It would be handy if I could deactivate software on my old (now completely dead computer) from my new machine, thus preserving my activations. I have been able to do this on some systems (can't remember, I'm having to reinstall a LOT of software, but iLok needs me to deactivate the old machine from THAT machine which is clearly not possible since it is dead.

I guess the reason for that is that they cannot know if the old system is really dead.

So someone could sell his machine with iLok stuff and still use the very same stuff on a new system.

This thread was really helpful, thank you to everyone! I assume that in 2017, the soft computer-based activations are still risky?

iLok's is the only really risky one I'm aware of. I have a small handful of very cheap things authed on this computer. I picked something up, not realising it used iLok, and thought "oh well". Apparently the dev will give a second license for my particular products if you ask nicely, so that's a relief. I've even been taking care to de-auth before major OS upgrades (e.g. Windows 10 Anniversary and later Creators Edition). Every other License Manager like protection and/or C/R based protection has just asked me to re-auth following said major OS upgrades. Why iLok can't do this is unknown. Their on-disk C/R simply isn't fit for purpose, but hey-ho, you takes the risk if you wants the plugs. Shelling out for a dongle, and even more for 'zero-downtime' if I definitely want access to the plugs I paid for at all times, just isn't something I ever plan to do on principle. Especially when I've so little money invested in the iLok ecosystem and the devs in question graciously provide a second license.

Are there any changes to iLok policy? Do you still need to contact every single developer and ask for new licenses?

I just had the hard drive in my laptop changed (the power button had stopped working, and at the Mac repair shop they had to change the logic board incl. hard drive in order to replace it). As you all know, the iLok License Manager won't let me deactivate the licenses that were activated on the old hard drive.

I've written iLok support; haven't heard from them yet.

So, is moving your licenses to a physical iLok the less risky way, just like you do with eLicenser? Did anyone yet have the case that he had to restore licenses? Eventide keeps track of your licenses in their own system, same with other companies, it seems. I figure it's not much of an issue to restore those licenses in the case of a harddrive crash, or when your iLok breaks then?

As others, i frankly wonder where the issue is. iLok keeps database records of the respective licenses anyway, and it has to be sync'd with the net. Why do you need things like theft and loss coverage, apart from making money that way? Bit puzzled here.

Now I was in the same situation. But each of my three Air plugins still had one of two activations available. But I hope it won't happen again as I have no more spare activations.
Which parts of a computer can one replace without breaking the association with a given computer? Waves for instance uses the network adapter for that purpose if I am not mistaken.

I'll only use a hardware iLok. I've had too many hard drive failures over the years to trust that. But really, paying for theft and loss prevention is a total scam. Basically, they're saying that they're willing to trust you and reactivate your licenses on a new dongle, but only if you pay a monthly fee. Outrageous! All they should have to do is require the dongle to sync to the net occasionally, and then blacklist the old dongle when you report it lost or broken. Sure, there could be a one time fee for that recovery process, but paying monthly in perpetuity is not cool at all. And just to bookend this rant, I am an iLok user myself, and this isn't an anti-iLok rant. I'm only opposed to their license recovery policy.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Now I was in the same situation. But each of my three Air plugins still had one of two activations available. But I hope it won't happen again as I have no more spare activations.
Which parts of a computer can one replace without breaking the association with a given computer? Waves for instance uses the network adapter for that purpose if I am not mistaken.
As long as your computer still works; you just remove all licences, replace the parts, activate the licenses again. :wink:

Well, but you would have to know in advance that your computer is going to break, and which component.
Turns out the second activation of my Air plugins was no problem thanks to the spare activation, but the installation of the plugins is, especially of Xpand2...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”