TAL Sampler

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Sampler

mcbpete wrote:I love using the starting basic sound/preset and playing really high pitch notes and seeing how the different DACs go completely crazy with aliasing. The pitches go all over the place :D
Yes, there are many creative things we can do on this. Other than a vintage sampler, it's also my lo-fi station now. I like things like Plogue Chip Synth, but gritty 8-bit samples that I really like. Morgana is too dark for what I'm looking for..so TAL Sampler with the huge library is perfect. Just got the Green Light Sensations which is a Fairlight CM IIx library using the TAL sampler engine. It's a great one and complimenting the Hollowsun's Fairlight Library. I was looking at the UVI Darklight, but not necessary now. It's impressive what a 16 MB library can do with (490 presets), especially since the Darklight size is 3 GB disc space (284 presets).
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Yeah, well... I have terabytes of samples... inc. 15 or so high end bass libraries, IIRC, not counting my recent MODO purchase (which doesn't really count here)... I still reach for Will Lee Bass library patches that I customized for Kontakt. They clock in at 30MB a piece, uncompressed. Yes yes, I know... WTF and all that. These samples are fantastic! To think I bought those as SF2 downloads back in... 2003?
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote:Also, what does the embed audio button do? There's no mention of it in the manual.
Isn't that kind of obvious? It saves the audio data with the preset. But you'd guessed that already. :wink:

See: https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler (under history).

How to import sf2 files? sfz works, but an option to load sf2 is nowhere to be seen despite the changelog stating having implemented sf2 import.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote:It's not obvious, no.All my preset files are 12kb each, so nothing extra is being added to them when I press Embed Audio
My apologies. You're right, it isn't.

"EMBED AUDIO added: Experimental. Saves audio data within the sampler preset. Be carefully. Do not use this with big samples. Your hosts project file will contain the sample data when enabled. Useful when you have different working places and small samples. I needed this to switch between windows and OSX (v 1.9.1) beta - please do not use at the moment. we will fix this within the next updates"

It's a really really great sampler that sounds great, looks great, has great features, and its price is great. :) I love it to the bone.

I just wish it was multi-timbral - at least 8 engines/instances [but 16 would be better] and 8-16 outputs [mono or stereo configurable]. It would be easier to use it for the whole song with many sounds then, and it would use less RAM, too. This way it uses ~65MB per instance and when you have 50 sounds... you know: kick, snare, toms, bass etc. it seems like a waste of RAM and you have to open a new instance for every new sound. I love synths like Korg M1 because they're multi-timbral so you don't have to click around so much, just keep it open on the second screen and change sounds for editing within it. ;)

I also wish it had 2 serial/parallel filters, and incidentally the filter is called "Filter 1" so maybe Patrick plans to implement a 2nd filter?

It would be also great to have a "retrigger" button on the filter and pitch envelopes for when you play legato, so the filter and pitch envelopes can restart on new notes. I pretty much use mono/legato sounds all the time, so this is the first thing I noticed. I really like the current mono mode for some sounds, but retriggering would be really useful for other sounds. Legato lead and bass sounds mostly.

It's constantly being worked on so I have no doubts at least some of these things will get implemented. Patrick is a really intelligent guy. I love the sound of this sampler. I use it in combination with my hardware ones Yamaha, Roland, Kurzweil, and E-mu samplers. This is so convenient and fast to use, though.  :tu:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote: I just wish it was multi-timbral - at least 8 engines/instances [but 16 would be better] and 8-16 outputs [mono or stereo configurable].
I agree with this, as it is my main electronic drum sampler. However, I think this only works if there can be different DAC settings for each engine. I usually am using different DACs and settings for each piece in the kit, so if all 16 engines had to be routed through the same DAC, it wouldn't really be a huge benefit.
DuX wrote: I also wish it had 2 serial/parallel filters, and incidentally the filter is called "Filter 1" so maybe Patrick plans to implement a 2nd filter?
I wholeheartedly agree with this. It'd be great to run sounds through a high-pass resonant filter first before going into the low pass.

It is a v 1.9.7 now

Is it about to go get updated to v2 ?

Same thing here rosschehayeb. :tu:

I'd really like to use it for drums and it's very confusing when you have 20 instances opened. :sad: It could really use at least 16 channels [MIDI] and 16 audio outs configurable as mono or stereo. The first pair has to be stereo though. Then I could use only two instances per project. :)

And yes, it would be nice to have *all* the parameters configurable per audio/MIDI channel, like DAC. :tu: Crazy good! :party:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

v 1.9.71

Just bought TAL Sampler the other day after messing with the demo forever and I'm loving it. First things i'm noticing that I'd like to see addressed:

- add MIDI control of new unipolar LFO switches (couldn't get to work)
- Noise and S&H LFO waves don't seem to be available over MIDI
- separate drop downs for utilities and patch selection for quicker patch access
- Service control is great! Can voice panning be added? How about template export/import?

Otherwise echoing requests for multiple outputs and a 2nd filter, but not much else (ok maybe TAL chorus!). I'd prefer if it didn't get much more complex and adding even a small sequencer or arpeggiator, while possibly useful, wouldn't be something i'd want. To me the interface seems just about full.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuX wrote:It's a really really great sampler that sounds great, looks great, has great features, and its price is great. :) I love it to the bone.

I just wish it was multi-timbral - at least 8 engines/instances [but 16 would be better] and 8-16 outputs [mono or stereo configurable]. It would be easier to use it for the whole song with many sounds then, and it would use less RAM, too. This way it uses ~65MB per instance and when you have 50 sounds... you know: kick, snare, toms, bass etc. it seems like a waste of RAM and you have to open a new instance for every new sound. I love synths like Korg M1 because they're multi-timbral so you don't have to click around so much, just keep it open on the second screen and change sounds for editing within it. ;)

I also wish it had 2 serial/parallel filters, and incidentally the filter is called "Filter 1" so maybe Patrick plans to implement a 2nd filter?

It would be also great to have a "retrigger" button on the filter and pitch envelopes for when you play legato, so the filter and pitch envelopes can restart on new notes. I pretty much use mono/legato sounds all the time, so this is the first thing I noticed. I really like the current mono mode for some sounds, but retriggering would be really useful for other sounds. Legato lead and bass sounds mostly.

It's constantly being worked on so I have no doubts at least some of these things will get implemented. Patrick is a really intelligent guy. I love the sound of this sampler. I use it in combination with my hardware ones Yamaha, Roland, Kurzweil, and E-mu samplers. This is so convenient and fast to use, though.  :tu:
That's a great list, I hope you send it to Patrick
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”